The Intellivision is returning, and it has a new boss

Yep. They heard about the great video game crash of 1983, and just assumed video games all died a horrible death, and have not been a thing ever since…

Until Tommy Tallarico figured out a way to reach out and connect specifically to those people, and is now revealing the very first video games made since 1983! I think he also realized that those people had thousands of dollars saved up from not spending any money on video games for 38 years.

Yes, I’m sure of it.
It all fits.

He added “chief creative officer” under his name, and claims to have designed that pie fight of a multiplayer mode.

Do you think they simply wear the same clothes every day, or were all of these “dives” recorded on the same day?

The UI video they were hoping to save for a multi million subscriber Youtuber is out! This is what $11M gets you!

WTF is that horrid interface?

Looks like a slightly slicker Vita interface (ie still dogshit)

Also, should a platform whose entire raison d’etre is being super family friendly have a game whose name is derived from things being “fucked up”?

Said: Notice how quick these games load in too.

Unsaid: Notice how small phone games from 4 years ago are, especially when we only give you a handful of levels in each game.

Snafoo is based on an original Intellivsion game called Snafu. That was one of my favorite Intellivision games as a kid.

Sure, but the original Intellivision wasn’t claiming that the Switch was a cesspool of horrors.

Reminds me of Kai’s Power Tools

Jeff Minter weighs in again:

I don’t understand that tweet you posted @rei . Granted, it’s been ages since I’ve played MC, but I’m not sure what is being mentioned with regard to ‘chain detonations’.

And the interface is so amateur. But I’m not sure GB’s worry about it being filled with too many games will ever be an issue. Or any for that matter.

I’m not sure, but my interpretation was when a player shoots a missile and it explodes, that explosion can in turn explode other nearby missiles and get a chain reaction. I didn’t watch the video and barely remember MC, though.

Ok, that makes sense and I sorta remember that maybe happening in the original MC. But it’s been decades since I played it and I didn’t play it much anyways because I always sucked at it after level 3 or so.

I remember that happening on the 2600 version.

Eh, I don’t mind the UI, I sort of like the spinning globe things. It doesn’t look great, doesn’t look awful. Looks passable for something like this.

As far as game clutter, my understanding is you will only ever see 1 row of games from the store in each category. If you want to see more you click on the category or something and it takes you to the “store” with more games in the category.

The larger point is that Tallarico and his team, who supposedly have “600 years of industry experience,” don’t understand the gameplay of one of the roots of arcade gaming. It’s 40 years old, and it’s a simple design. They should know better, but they don’t, because this isn’t a game console, it’s a vanity project for Tommy.

Watch the targeted missiles explode and chain react to take out other falling missiles.

The Atari 2600 version, with very limited computer resources available, doesn’t do that. It’s still fun, but it’s not the kind of thing anyone should base a “retro remake” on when the arcade version is RIGHT THERE.

Jeff Minter is visionary, stylish, quirky, and interesting. Everything that the very middlebrow, unimaginative Intellivision Amico is NOT.

I could have sworn the 2600 version (the only one I’ve played) had cascading explosions. I played Astrosmash for 2600 as well and these Amico remakes are pretty terribad.

OMG
is that in Tom’s “mansion,” or the house of one of his groupies?