The Iphone jailbreaking/unlocking thread

Replaced “Aller” with “Maven Pro” – ported by a helpful MacThemes user at in post #1540 at: http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=802477

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16655711/Maven%20Pro.font.zip

A look at the font is here: http://vissol.co.uk/mavenpro/

Tapatalk looks great with the Aller font.

Hey that’s rather good, I might try that out.

Also, this is more iPad oriented but it involves the iphone/jailbreaking so what the hell…

Apple, in their infinite wisdom did not put the handy clock app on the iPad for some reason. Thanks to my jailbreak(s), I was able to move the app over from my iphone (mobiletimer.app) to the ipad and make a small change to its .plist file. The clock app works perfectly well with all the timers, alarms etc functioning as expected and properly fullscreen as well, with no x2 scaling going on. Can’t imagine why Apple would leave this app off the ipad.

Another +1 for jailbreaking.

Auto Location was just released on Cydia which promises to be useful as I dislike turning on/off the location services when using Runmeter and various other apps (I’m slightly obsessive about battery usage)

Do you usually enable the location switch only when you use an application that requires location services? Have you ever forgotten to enable location after launching the application? Thats enough! Auto Location is for you! This teak automatically enables and disables location services only when needed.

For example, when you launch the Navigation GPS application or any GPS tracker, Auto Location will automatically enable location services; and if you close the app, the tweak will immediately disable location services if there is no need to use location updates anymore.

Auto Location detects the apps that need location services by using your settings in General > Location Services.

Auto Location is also compatible with any intentional settings, it doesnt override location set by other tweaks. For example, if you schedule location to be active during hours of work, Auto Location will never disable it if you use and quit an application that requires location services.

I was looking at buying CleverPin to automatically disable the password requirement when on a “home” SSID.

Just [b]looked that one up[/b]. Brilliant.

There was definitely something slower with the 4.3.1 jailbreak. 4.3.3 is noticeably faster for me.

I picked up a used Iphone 4 yesterday, and my partner took my old AT&T-branded 3GS to play with it. Unfortunately, she upgraded to iOS 5, which un-jailbroke it and re-locked it so that it won’t work with her T-Mo sim.

After trying without success to do the tethered jailbreak with the new iOS, I’ve downgraded back to 4.3.1 using the old firmware that was still on my hard drive and with the “hosts” file changed to point to Saurik’s server. I think I was successful, but I can’t tell because the phone is now in the “emergency calls” screen and I can’t get to the springboard to see what OS and baseband the phone has now.

Itunes is telling me “There is no SIM card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate.”

EDIT: This is called “recovery mode.”

How do I get out of this mode?

What about jailbreaking the 4S? This is my first iPhone and I really would like to be able to tether it to my laptop for internet connectivity.

Assuming the 4S shipped with iOS5, you should probably wait a bit. The only jailbreak for that OS is a “tethered jailbreak,” which is not as useful as it sounds and means that you have to basically re-jailbreak every time you restart the phone. The hacking community will have an untethered JB soon enough.

Well, now you jailbreak it. I think you’ve simply reverted to the official firmware, so you’ll have to jailbreak it again using redsn0w or whatever. I think the best way to make sure you end up with an unlockable baseband is to select the ipad baseband option during the jaibreaking process.

Is tethering still unavailable in the US? I didn’t know.

Well, you get your Visual Voicemail (and a more useful Siri, I guess) and we get tethering.

Tethering without paying additional cost is unavailable in the US.

If you JB your phone and get PDANet through Cydia, supposedly you can do it. I’ve used PDANet on an Android phone and on a T-Mo Dash and really liked it.

But the built in tethering is just so nice, that having to JB your phone is a shame - while our telcos are still evil, at least they compete on stuff like this. So tethering (without additional costs) are available for all and mine even gave me extra micros SIMs for the iPad, so I didn’t need to tether it or buy an additional dataplan.

Agreed. It would be nice if it weren’t such a hassle here. It’s a lot less of a hassle on non-iOS devices.

So do I. That’s why I’m wondering if I can do the same thing on a new iPhone.

Replying to myself to make a correction - PDANet is not on Cydia. It’s on junefabrics.com

Also, I went ahead and JB’d my new used Iphone 4, even though it’s tethered, because there were a few apps I wanted, like BiteSMS. The problem I’m finding is that a lot of Cydia apps aren’t yet compatible with the new iOS. I should have waited a bit, I suppose.

Is anyone running BiteSMS on iOS 5? I have the pink icon, but when I touch it nothing happens.

EDIT: Yikes. BiteSMS in its maybe-not-compatible state was causing Settings to crash whenever I tried to change something. It’s outta here.

Arise thread!

I’m interested in jailbreaking a 4S, currently running iOS 6.0.1. I am a complete n00b at this, so have questions of the Q23 hivemind.

1. Is there any preferred app for jailbreaking?
  2. If a new iOS comes out and I want to try it out, do I just update via iTunes without any trouble?
  3. What are the chances of bricking the iPhone?
  4. Can I buy from the iPhone App store as well as from 3rd party vendors?

Thanks!

I’m pretty sure the jailbreak for 6.x is only tethered right now, meaning if you turn it off and on again you need to re-jailbreak before you can use the device. I wouldn’t recommend jailbreaking at this point, it’s too much of a hassle. I’m still on 5.1.1 on my iphone 4.

As for new versions, when they come out you can simply restore via itunes, updating through the device itself does not work as far as I know. The chances of bricking the device are pretty damn low, considering itunes can simply restore it from any unresponsive condition to the latest version easily enough.

And yeah, you can still buy from itunes along with the Cydia Store.