The Killing

I thought it was pretty good, and liked the shocker about the aunt.

The ending with Linden getting out of the car was kind of mysterious, since she’d been re-instated (in that dark office scene I guess Holder gave her gun and badge back). Is the (amazingly subtle) Mireille Enos leaving the show?

She is currently on the main cast of the AMC television series The Killing, for which she received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination on July 14, 2011.

I just watched the season finale. The finale episode was pretty good. The shocker worked well… I liked the part about the aunt. I also liked the second last scene with the Larson family on the couch … don’t want to spoil it… I thought it was touching.

As for the main character… I hope she doesn’t return… but given that she is the main character she probably will… her obsessive personality in the show will probably be the primary motivating factor that sucks her back into the next case.

I just hope it has NOTHING to do with the Rosie Larson murder. 2 Seasons to solve that murder is more than enough!

I was pleased by the season finale. I would watch season 3.

/boggle

a few interesting ideas to reboot the show in season 3:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/06/the-killing-season-3-where-should-the-show-go-from-here.html

There are three possibilities that intrigue us for Season 3 - which is not a foregone conclusion, the show has not been renewed yet.

1. Linden and Holder get a new case
  2. Holder gets a new case and is the main character this time. Linden is not around, so he has a new partner and new colleagues/suspects/victims to interact with
  3. The show picks up with an entirely new cast in a new city with a new case

The reason the third option is so enticing to us is because the possibilities for re-inventing the series and perhaps gaining more viewers are huge. What if “The Killing” went all “American Horror Story”-style and moved the show to, say, Detroit or Philadelphia and brought in some big names to just do one season (or we guess two, though we would advise one season = one murder from now on).

I don’t particularly want to piss in anybody’s Wheaties, but if they do get a third season, Auntie Whasserface indicated that the writers already had a couple of directions figured out. I suspect that they’d be reluctant to jettison Enos, though. The family, maybe, but Leobin lost his other gig anyway, so the entire Linden side of that equation is still there to play with. Maybe they could take a minute and explain why Sarah only hits it with Cylons.

For the Emmy, it’s not hard to understand. Ensign Ro was uncomfortable to watch and boring and generally a drag on most of the parts of the show that were interesting, but it was also the kind of performance that awards voters eat up, and the show didn’t whiz that story down its leg until they sent her off on a road trip to blow anonymous traveling salesmen in Asspimple, British Columbia or wherever the hell it was she was supposed to be staying for the majority of the second season.

So far as chances go, I’m reluctant to handicap them at this point. Holder has already signed on to be Robocop in the reboot, and with Breaking Bad and Mad Men both on clocks at this point (effectively two seasons for each, though Breaking Bad’s order was only for one and it’ll be split into two years with eight episodes each), I could see the network flailing about a little to find something other than The Walking Dead to attract eyes. At the very least, having this show around would give them a vehicle to launch one of the two procedural pilots they ordered earlier this year. It never got over the hump of not finallying on the next-to-last episode of the first season instead of the last one, though, and it’s been a little squishy this whole season.

Finally got through the end of season 2 and I thought it was all pretty good. I watched the first season as it played out and got really frustrated. Then I rewatched it when my wife got into the show, and knowing what the pace was going be, enjoyed it more for what it was.

I still feel like the series of red herrings was painful at times, and when the main detectives are told they did good work on the Larsen case, I thought to myself “did they?” Punching holes in their detecting is probably easy work, but in the end it came together decently.

Knowing how it all comes together, I wonder if I watched it again, would I notice little things leading up to the ending (like how you could rewatch Sixth Sense and notice some patterns), but my gut tells me that’s not the case.

SPOILERS!!!

A scene earlier in the show had Ames and Aunt in the car, alone, while he broke up with her. In the finale, Linden mentions that Ames would never break up with her had he left his wife because of what the Aunt had on Ames. But back in the breakup scene, when they were all alone, she never once brought that night up (maybe I’m misremembering?). Also, given what the Aunt did, I never remember her seeming like she had massive guilt, she just seemed to be struggling with the sadness of her life (no love, taking care of sister’s kids, etc). If she felt some guilt, I couldn’t see her ever confronting her sister about taking care of the kids given what she had done.

END SPOILERS!!!

So in the end, we got our answers, but I don’t feel like they were woven all that tightly into the narrative (not woven at all really). I enjoyed Linden and Holder, couldn’t stand Mitch, and it was nice to see someone recover from a GSW and severed spine in just a few days. Back to work in less than a few weeks even. I guess there really is something to sea air.

I’d be curious to see where this show goes next as well. I almost feel like the Larsen murder could have been a good season 2-3 arc. Season 1 could have been Linden’s first big one that seems to be unsolved, let season 2-3 be the big case that goes all the way to the top, and season 4 let’s linden wrap up the first case, deal with her daemons, and leave the force to do whatever.

It’s Dead, Jim.

Cancelled.

Not the worst thing in the world. At least they have their complete story in the can.

I’m kinda bummed, but oh well, at least they wrapped up the main mystery.

Great news.

They really screwed the pooch when they divided the Rosie Larson murder into two seasons. Had they done one, normal length season, the public outcry over the unresolved murder would not have happened, and the pacing might have not been as glacial in order to stretch out the limited story over two seasons.

Part of me is regretful, another part happy. Lessons learned and such.

Yeah, I wouldn’t have been too excited about a third season. The show started strong, then lost its way, and it feels right to just end it here.

1 killing per season and this show would have been a license to print money. Ahh well…

So… uh… it’s been un-cancelled apparently.

http://screenrant.com/amc-killing-un-canceled-season-3-may/

Mere months after AMC announced that season 3 of the rain-soaked murder mystery The Killing would not happen, the network has apparently had a change of heart. Reports are now stating the network is in the process of un-canceling the program with the intention of having new episodes ready by May of next year.

Even though the series’ leads have since seen their careers transition to the big screen in the abovementioned RoboCop reboot and World War Z, respectively, they are the only cast members contractually obligated to appear in season 3 – which leaves the storyline and further casting completely up in the air. It stands to reason that Billy Campbell (The Rocketeer), as newly-elected mayor of Seattle, Darren Richmond, could have a role in the upcoming season, though it would seem very unlikely that Michelle Forbes or Brent Sexton’s characters would have much reason to be involved in any future storylines.

Wow, how weird. I really liked the show, but it’ll be strange without the whole cast.

This is fairly old news and not really done. Back when Hell on Wheels was renewed, the showrunner then proceeded to announce that he was leaving, which put the pickup at some risk. Since AMC has literally no other things to put on at this point, they revisited The Killing as a potential backstop, because although it is widely regarded as a creative failure, both Joel Kinnaman and Mirelle Enos are in medium-prominent movies or franchises, so there will be some face recognition (and this was always the case - their work on those properties will not interfere and, in Enos’s case, has been done for some conjugation of a very long time, since World War Z has been in the special sort of development hell for quite awhile). This is a decision made more out of necessity than any real enthusiasm on the network’s part, and you should probably assume that unless it seriously turns things around, The Killing would only be kept around long enough for one of the other shows in the pilot season (there’s one about tech guys in Dallas in the eighties and one about the goddamn Culper Ring, because everything always has to do the same thing at the same time in entertainment for some reason) to get to production, presumably next year.

I’ve seen that said in a number of places, but isn’t that like saying, “Man, the next season of 24 is going to be strange without the exact same terrorists and other agencies Jack worked with this time.” The crime is solved, the reason for much of the cast to be involved in the next crime is gone unless they contrive some way to have another murder that involves all the same people…

I need Netflix to put Season 2 on post haste. Don’t know what is taking so long

This show jumped the shark the first time they portrayed a thunderstorm in Seattle.