The Killing

I don’t know about the original, but every time this show seems to pick up momentum they pull out a clunker like this episode to destroy it. I am glad there are only two episodes left.

I hated the first 5/6 of this episode but it sort of came together for me in a character development way towards the end. I agree, however, that it was terribly misplaced and sucked the momentum out of the story. If there had been ANY hint that we’d delve into these characters like this at ANY point earlier in the season, then I might have been more interested. I’ll watch the rest of this season, but I hope they make some improvements if they continue.

Considering the Danish series was 4-5 episodes longer, I wonder if they cut more of the character development episodes and just tried to toss it all into this one. Either way, it didn’t work.

So my DVR hiccuped and forgot to record an episode (I think it was #9, “Undertow”). Is there any legit outlet from which to catch it without ponying up the $2.99 or whatever Apple/Amazon/etc. wants from me?

I wasn’t as down on this episode as most of you. They’re both compelling actors to watch and I found myself enjoying their standoffish bond. Too much smoking broodily but I thought there were some nice moments.

Also, I’m so disinterested in the whole Rosie thing that I didn’t mind putting it on the backburner for an hour. It was nice to take a break from all the other characters on the show who are starting to bug me.

I believe that was Holder’s nephew. The one he mentioned in an earlier episode who he stole the gold coin from.

Ah that’s right, totally slipped my mind.

Wow. So you guys are all totally wrong. This was a pretty excellent episode. It was essentially the closest thing to a bottle show they could do in a serial, but as an hour of television, this was right up there with the best that I can remember seeing recently. They totally got me all the way through the end. I didn’t even mind the placement within the series - sliding it in here makes a certain amount of sense, what with their previous leads entirely torpedoed and them fishing around, trying to find some string to pick up the case. I can understand why you might dislike it if you’re only interested in the show for the mystery, but if this isn’t on some best individual episodes lists for the year I’m going to be extremely upset.

Hmm, if you say so. Personally, I told my wife in the second episode that “if they stopped being a murder mystery and became a soap opera, I was through watching” and 15 minutes into last night, I walked out. Total soap opera now. I’m also betting that the show doesn’t actually reveal the killer by the end of the next two episodes, but sets something up for a 2nd season instead.

And BTW, my money for the killer is the candidate’s flunky–the short man that pretended to switch sides for a while. He’d have met Rosie at the photo-op session–in fact probably chose her for the photo-op as nicely photogenic. He chats her up about maybe doing volunteer work for the campaign, and from there becomes obsessed with her. He is a bit obsessive, if you haven’t noticed. Or, she told him she was going to out something about the candidate that he didn’t want coming out. Either way, he strangles her, panics, and throws her in the trunk of a campaign car.

If you call the last episode a soap opera, I don’t think you know what a soap opera actually is.

You know what it is? It’s the episode of Breaking Bad from last season about the fly, but for this show. Which I also thought was pretty great and a lot of people hated, so maybe I’m just weird.

Nah, I thought both episodes were great.

The difference there is that episode firmly fit into the context of the narrative while this just felt like a cynical, artificial way to get to 13 episodes because they didn’t plan it out properly.

I started out annoyed too, but really liked the episode by the end. Vastly prefer them going off and doing something like this than finding and discarding another red herring.

Did they really give it away like that in the penultimate episode? Seems hard to believe.

I don’t think so.

Doesn’t he have the alibi that he was with his campaign manager girlfriend? I’ll bet he used the service but didn’t commit the crime. Framed by the mayor?

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I AM NOT LISTENING TO THE THE THREAD BECAUSE I HAVE NOT WATCHED LAST NIGHT’S EPISODE.

Picked up for a second season.

By the way, I thought last night’s episode was awesome. I’ve been waiting for something awesome like that for a while. I hope Season 2 isn’t about trying to find evidence to prove the crime when they already know who committed it.

I laughed out loud at the I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER email.

Also hooray Alona Tal getting a cameo!

Do we know how his wife died? Drowning?

She was killed by a drunk driver. Remember when he went to the parole hearing? Or at least I’m assuming it was a drunk driver. He showed some rage then, punching the mirror, etc.