The King (Netflix Movie)

Seems no-one is talking about netflix latest movie, The King.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80182016

At its heart, its a retelling of the same story that Kenneth Brannagh told about King Henry the 5th, this time around with Timothée Chalamet as King Henry , Joel Edgerton as Fallstaff, and Sean Harris , a character I dont recall from Brannaghs version, but its been quite a while.
EDIT: I just read that the producers DID change some things around in the story - phew, I really didnt remember that ending, but Im glad Im not just getting forgetsom.

Its a beautiful movie - both its cinematography, and the acting. Its also quite quiet, in a nice understated way ,that lends more credence to the actual words said, than if they were louder.

The actors are all believable, and I ended up watching all the movie in one go, something I rarely do, even though it was getting a bit late.
I didnt know Timothée Chalamet beforehand, but I was quite captivated by his calmness and charisma - I suspect this is someone we will see more off in other, more high-profile movies.

Now, I LOVE Brannaghs version, and actually didnt even know this was a new version of the same tale, but it does things in its own way, and is worth seeing if the subject matter is of interest to you.

anyways - I found it a shame that there was no talking about the movie here, and also wanted to point it towards you good folks, since there is quite the selection of things to watch these days.
Much recommended!

I´d love to hear from others who saw it as well.

I hadn’t heard about it and possibly would have skipped it except that it’s the latest from David Michod, director of Animal Kingdom and The Rover, both flipping brilliant. As such, on a service I already have, definitely gonna watch it soon.

I was going to hold off until I worked my way down the backlog, because the trailer didn’t do much for me, but maybe I’ll bump it up now.

You refer to Branagh’s version, but Branagh’s version is Shakespeare (like Olivier’s before it). I gather this one is not? If so, it would be interesting to see someone not named Shakespeare tell the story of Henry V, as it doesn’t happen often.

Cracking good film this. Acting is good, scenario is quite good, with some great smart twists but what really worked for me were the fight scenes. So good. That shit rang true to me.

I am looking forward to this, but can’t imagine that I’ll enjoy it as much without Shakespeare’s St. Crispin’s Day speech, which I consider my favorite dialog ever written.

I mean, come on! This is so awesome.

Hey, it’s a young Wallander, director of Thor.

(And an even younger Batman seen in one shot)

I also like this one, but there are about a half-dozen speeches in Hamlet that I like better than anything else in Shakespeare.

Well, it IS based on the Henriads (spelling?), but with the directors own take and a few major differences.

Aye - I really enjoyed the fighting - the twohanded grip on the swords is something I hadn’t seen before but seem to recall is more in view of how we think they actually did fight?

Also, Agincourt is horrible!

Really enjoyed the film. Good performances all around and it also looked the part. The interior scenes looked like they tried to go for natural lighting, and I thought the production design was good in general. Also liked that people get quickly exhausted in fights because that’s what you’d kinda expect when someone has to wear heavy armor and swing a heavy sword.

I looked it up when Netflix promoted it to me a few days ago, and all the reviews said it was basically Shakespeare without the Shakespeare, which sounded a bit pointless to me. Maybe when I have less in my backlog.

I just watched this last night, thought it was pretty solid. I liked the ugly brutality of Agincourt. So many films try to romance up medieval-style combat but this certainly did not.

Chimes At Midnight has a great un-glamorous battle scene:

Also to those who don’t know, Agincourt is one of the battles which John Keegan attempted to depict at a grunt’s-eye level in his book The Face of Battle (also Waterloo and Somme, IIRC).

Yeah, the whole history of how combat gets cleaned up and costumed for popular consumption is really interesting. An extraordinary amount of artistic effort has gone into making brutality more aesthetic.

Just watched this and loved it.

I really liked it too. Don’t think I have seen Timothy act before but I thought he was great here. I didn’t really see the twist coming (was it meant to be telegraphed in any way?) but enjoyed it.

Did any of these one-on-one duels happen in history?

Shooting the battle in all that mud must have been a major pain. Also liked how Patterson’s prissy French prince got taken out.

There are sources indicating that Vlad the Impaler killed Vladislav II of Wallachia, who had usurped his father’s throne (possibly assassinating him along the way), in single combat.

Edit: I read your question as meaning if this type of duel happened, not the specific ones in the film.