The Last of Us 2 - Hopefully Ellie Can Swim Now

Anyone else replaying this now that the remastered version is out? I had mixed feelings when it originally came out but want to go through it again because season two of the show next year.

If they follow the Part 1 schedule, I guess this could PC this Summer.

I think this and Horizon are the two that made it to PC that I’d play sequels to.

Plus a Returnal 2 if that ever happened. Though that was PS5 native right, so a sequel might not have much of a tech bump.

The first one is on the PC

Coming to PC in 2024.

The second game had a weaker story, but the gameplay is freaking top notch. I loved it and for 10 bucks to upgrade? Hell ya I’m in just for the new mode.

For me, it wasn’t that it was a “weaker” story, more that the game spends a good chunk of time building you up to some type of moral redemption arc: forgiveness, moving on, appreciating what you have, etc. Even the supporting characters all buy into it, though they support Ellie in her quest to avenge Joel’s death. Then that fragile narrative crumbles all around you and as a player, you’re left doing things contrary to what you may have believed you were going to do. To me, it kind of felt gross. I’ll also say that the bits with the guitar were some of the high points of the series… only to have it yanked away with the loss of the finger. I don’t know… the game play was good but the story left me feeling gross and somewhat violated. Maybe that was the point, but if so, I think it was a sort of shitty narrative journey.

I think that was the whole point of the story. It’s a tale of how damaged Ellie is, how much she’s bound to revenge and ultimately, how much it costs her.

There are a few hard-to-swallow story beats, which I found really uncomfortable, and I felt sorry for Ellie and her victims. I think that indicates how elevated the story is over traditional game narratives where you’re wiping enemy after enemy with no impact.

By the same token, I think that’s not a story I want to relive. It was hard enough the first time. If there’s a way to play just the new content, I will do so.

I’d rush to play a third part though.

TLoU2 very much feels like The Dark Middle Chapter in a trilogy.

Should have been called The Second Last of Us.

Paid for the $10 upgrade to play No Return and had a surprising amount of fun with it so far. It’s a solid roguelike with a lot of random variety and ways to customize the runs as you unlock more stuff the more you play. Gets pretty tense and exciting at times and with so many characters to play with their own specialties, and with quite a few difficulty levels, this will have some good legs.