The Long Journey Home (procedurally generated space adventure)

Anyone know if this improved much since release? I checked and haven’t seen any developer update posts since August 2017.

I saw it was on sale for 66% off this weekend. And even though I didn’t have it wishlisted anymore , Steam decided to rub it in my face that I might want it. Heh.

It hasn’t, it’s still more frustrating than fun. Avoid.

Removing from wish list. :(

Yeah thanks for the heads up Brian. Shame I could REALLY use a great space exploration game. Market opportunity I guess.

Yeah, right now the current game that still excels at exploration is Distant Worlds. Starflight is still the king though. Noctis is amazing, Nomad is delightful and Millennia: Altered Destinies is fantastic.

Oh yeah, Discovery Freelancer does a great job as well.

Satisfying exploration isn’t an easy thing to pull off.

What I really wanted from LJH was a moderately expanded version of Strange Adventures in Infinite Space. A game with a lot more variety than that (for longevity/replayability), but that you could still finish in a single sitting…like 2-3 hours for a full game once you knew the systems. Not at all what we got, but I don’t think their original vision was terribly far off from that. I think they let the game get too big and lost sight of where the fun was.

This one’s been on my wishlist for a long time too, and I’ll probably pick it up when it gets really cheap. Funny how nothing has really beat Starflight at its own game yet, but I’m holding out hope for the new Star Control.

Yeah, this game was missed opportunity. I was all excited when I read about it but then came the reviews after it came out. Still looking for a game like this that pulls it all together.

I was involved in a very minor way with Millennia, Nomad & Elite Frontier :) I have no point just not so humble bragging really :)

No doubt, those are games to be proud of. Especially Millennia. Best time travel game I’ve ever played.

Hey, I notice this finally got a release on Xbox One (and I’m guessing PS4 and Switch as well?) and I’m curious how it made the transition, anyone tried? I’d like to play but I’m balking a bit at the $39.99 price tag.

Unless they made the game 75% less tedious and annoying, just avoid.

No can do, Brian, this one is right up my alley. I will likely wait for a sale though, hard to justify forty bucks on a roll of the dice.

Don’t you mean ‘die’?

Alright man, I warned you.

You know, if they’d just let you set the size of the map, like Civilization, and tweak a couple other things, it could have been ok. sigh

Yeah I get it, this is not your cup of tea. I read your impressions. I think there’s still probably something worth checking out in there.

The issue is that the game punishes you for doing things that should be encouraged, like exploring planets.

I thought the core game loop was cool. I liked how difficult and hostile planet surfing could be.

It suffers from a huge case of S.P.A.Z. syndrome though - it’s too in love with that core gameplay loop and thinks what you want is a metric spaceship of it.