The Long Journey Home (procedurally generated space adventure)

Holy cow I forgot he was in that. Full motion video cut scenes were certainly an interesting trend. Remember when we thought games were going to merge with Hollywood somehow?

Any evolving thoughts on this one? 50% off this week, but Steam reviews are mixed with many complaints of brutal, uneven difficulty. I watched @tomchick play it and it looked great to me and made it’s way onto my wishlist.

It’s got a lot going for it, but it’s just too difficult in terms of lander missions. Landers are terribly fragile yet not easy to control and SO EASY TO DAMAGE OR DESTROY yet you have to use them ALL THE TIME to get resources and the like. Makes the game more frustrating than it needs to be.

Fuck. This is in my backlog, near the top, and the goddamn lander missions were far and away my least favorite part of StarCon 2. . .

Oh they’re worse here. So much worse.

Thanks, Brian. That seems consistent with the reviews. I’ll wait it out a bit perhaps and see if there’s any more updates (last one was in early August so perhaps not much hope)

Yeah, I’ve no idea how much hope to tell ya to have on this one, sadly. Shame, really. It looked like a promising Starflight successor, but alas…

Did this ever get a console release? I thought they announced that.

This game went from my wish list to my followed list to my not interested list in almost record time.

They actually made it better during beta. Ultimately, I think the larger issue was that (and this was partially due to the ease of damaging the lander) it was often a net loss of resources unless you were mining a rare node. Heck, even mining itself caused damage to your ship. I asked them to remove the damage caused by mining for this reason, arguing that it was already hazardous enough without that, but I don’t believe they did.

My other big-picture issue with the game is that it was simply too large, imo, for the kind of game they wanted to be (the sort of game you would play over and over). I’d be much more interested if you could change galaxy size.

Yeah, you see the map with how many systems to visit and landings to make and you’re like “Nope, I’m out.”

The Infinite Space games, for example, did a FAR better job at this.

Closest I can find is this:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/366910/discussions/0/1290691308593674194/

Where some random person replied “end of 2017-2018”.

EXACTLY. I wanted something a bit bigger in scope than the IS games (maybe a game would last an hour or two) but not that much bigger. Something you might complete in a single sitting but with lots of variation between plays would be ideal for me. Of course, you could always have the option to play a larger game. The problem with something like SAIS is that getting a great score more or less depended on finding the trader in the first jump or two and getting good stuff.

Dear god.

Yeah, that would’ve been much better.

I’ll be honest and say I didn’t actually like the game. I mean, I love the idea, and the trailer was great, and I can see what they’re aiming for, and the game does have its moments, but to me it mostly feels like work instead of being fun. It might well be a good game, but it’s just not the kind of game I want to play right now.

Yeah, can’t disagree with you at all.

This is one of those titles that’s on my wishlist but not yet ready for prime time, even with a discount.

I have chosen to un-wishlist it.

I like so many parts of this. I even don’t mind the lander missions too badly, especially if some of the available upgrades on the lander help make some of the tougher planets more manageable. But I’m not sure if that’s the case because I’m always unbelievably short on resources. Additionally, the alien interactions could be great in a StarCon kind of way, but they just aren’t consequential enough, or not clearly so.

Right now, this feels a LOT to me like Darkest Dungeon. Inspired, beautiful, simultaneously carefully designed but structurally flawed. Frustrating, but I’m hoping I might figure out how to crack it with enough time.