The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

The-Matrix-Resurrections-Neo-1

12/22/21

So let’s do a new dedicated thread for the newest movie!

OLD thread of rumors and discussion here.

Have a trailer :

I loved the original Matrix. Reloaded was confusing and uneven, but it had promise - though much of that promise relied on Revolutions tying everything neatly in a fantastic package.

Except Revolutions was terrible. I hated it. I like to pretend Reloaded and Revolutions never existed and only the first Matrix is a thing.

So, I have no big hopes for this one, and I don’t expect it to be good, but maybe it will be. I’ll probably watch it anyway.

Considering the entire creative output of the Wachowskis since the original Matrix movie has been mediocre to crap I don’t have high hopes for this one. Plus resurrections of dead franchises have a massively poor success rate. Still, it’s more Matrix - I’ll definitely watch it! :)

Cloud Atlas was pretty good if you ignore the weird need to use all of their actors in every storyline. And Sense8 is one of my favorite TV shows ever.

@DaveLong really enjoyed the Speed Racer movie.

I liked all the Matrix movies, I thought they all had interesting things to contribute. I’m really interested in seeing where they take things with this one, especially considering where things left off with Revolutions. And White Rabbit is one of my favorite 60s songs, I liked its use in the trailer quite a bit.

Do we need two threads? This is more aptly named, but the other thread has been around longer.

Yup. Reloaded wasn’t a movie, it was an extended trailer/ first half of a movie. And since it doesn’t tell a complete story of its own, it does not stand on its own and is subject to elevation or destruction by the conclusion.

This seems like a clear sequel and not a reboot, so the end of the third movie accomplished…nothing? Nothing changed? Also seems weird to have an old Neo and Trinity but a 35 year old playing Morpheus.

I recommend reading this link that Paul put in the other thread.

It goes into what happened in the 3 movies.

This article also helped me remember what exactly happened at the end of Revolutions:

Seriously guys, why are we pretending the other thread doesn’t exist. It’s literally right below this one.

That thread’s been Rebooted.

I disliked how weak the regular agents felt in the sequels, where-as in the original they always felt super dangerous, so let’s make a bunch of new weird entities + make agent smith OP.

“It was immediately comforting to have these two characters alive again, and it’s super simple,” [Lana] Wachowski reasoned. “You can look at it and say: ‘ok, these two people die and ok, bring these two people back to life and oh, doesn’t that feel good?’ Yeah, it did! It’s simple, and this is what art does and that’s what stories do, they comfort us.”

From this article. Uh, yeah, I guess that’s one reason to make a sequel. I hope that it’s deeper than that, though.

You’re quoting a story about Lana Wachowski and why she’s not involved in the movie. Suggesting that’s why it’s being made is an incorrect attribution of the quote.

Lana is the writer and director. It’s Lilly who’s not involved.

Oh man, it was me who read that article wrong! Yikes. Sorry @Djscman for insinuating otherwise! I’ll leave my post up as evidence of my ignorance.

Happens to all of us :) Me more often than I’d like. :P

No worries, Menzo! I couldn’t differentiate between the two back when they made Bound and the Matrix, and it’s even harder now that both of their names start with L.

“It was immediately comforting to have Palpatine alive again, and it’s super simple,” [JJ] Abrams reasoned. “You can look at it and say: ‘ok, these Sith lords die and ok, bring Palpatine back to life and oh, doesn’t that feel good?’ Yeah, it did! It’s simple, and this is what art does and that’s what stories do, they comfort us.”