The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

I’m already ready for all the idiots saying how the media was wrong yet again and we should never listen to them, even though the storm hitting Cuba harder than predicted is what kept it from being a cat 5 on landfall.

Power out. Still have LTE for phone. Good luck peeps.

Eh - maybe? It’s probably too early to make that call. For certain, we learned a lot about construction, warning, evacuations, and other aspects of storm readiness from Andrew, Fran, Katrina, and others. That’s been evident in the US with Harvey and Irma. The islands, including Cuba, were slammed. Florida is getting slammed and it looks like the remnants might go park over the Mississippi River in TN/KY for a day or two. That alone could cause all sorts of havoc.

Still doing fine here. Expecting to lose power soonish. Water will probably stay on if it’s like other storms I’ve been through like this.

Good luck to everyone who got hit hard, hope everyone recovers well.

Great. My house alarm beeps every couple of minutes when the power goes out. That won’t make me go crazy at all.

Go to the box and pull the battery.

Good point. Thanks

Some good news:

I’ll also say that all I’ve heard about so far is property damage, rather than injuries or loss of life.

Considering how badly this could have gone based on some Thursday/Friday models, this definitely could’ve been much more serious…although there’s still a lot more storm to come.

It’s remarkable how a few small changes make all the difference in the world. I guess that’s why the long dangling Keys hadn’t been hit by one this hard in decades. It’s still kind of threading a needle.

Ha, did I just get actually’d? Regardless of how bad things turn out, and I don’t doubt they’ll be pretty bad, I’d say a category 2 storm hitting the Florida coast is clearly better than a cat 5.

This is sad.

Definitely great news. Hope everyone is safe. I know my family in the Miami area are without power. Anybody heard numbers on that? That’s one more crappy thing about a storm this size: with so many outages, it could take a long time to get things back everywhere.

I’m still with power. Tampa Electric Co has 71% of customers still having power. I think I heard Duke was doing much worse.

I’m the only one of my friends and coworkers still with power here in Lake Mary (Northern suburb of Orlando). The house just down the street from my coworker was “taken out” by a tornado (his words, haven’t seen what that actually entails) but there are tornados going on all around here supposedly (Police scanner had one just north of me earlier).

Now it seems like the eye wall might hit Orlando so we have a lot more time for me to join the power outage group. The whole street on the other side of the railroad tracks (an eight of a mile away) is without power based on the power outage maps I’m looking at. I’m crossing my fingers (though while playing Mario & Rabbids, at least if the power goes out I won’t lose my game :) ).

Hang in there, man.

Edit: NOAA still says it’s heading northwest, so hopefully it’ll miss you.

This kind of thing is why I’m always feeling bad/guilty with my sentiments about “It could’ve been worse,” even when objectively that’s true. It’s small solace for someone who’s lost a house, a business, a car, whatever. I mean, yeah, property is replaceable and whatnot, but that doesn’t make this kind of thing suck any less for the people it happens to.

Still no word from my GF’s family in Tampa at all since this afternoon. She’s not taking this well and I’m just hoping for some word from them.

Tampa got “lucky”. I wouldn’t worry too much about them.

Looks like all I have to worry about coming up is the right hand side of this: