The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

I’m hoping it’s just that they lost power and are slow to respond. Thanks man, her anxiety is rubbing off on me a bit.

Yeah sorry, after I wrote that I realized that the east side of this thing is way worse. Was trying to look at the bright side but, um, missed the goalposts.

Hang in there, I hope everything turns out ok.

Eh should be fine. Someone has to get hit with it unfortunately and we have our A/C down (to try and help keep the house a bit cooler if the power goes out) and plenty of batteries, flashlights, usb chargers, ice, non-perishable food, and a charged Vita, 3ds and Switch. So as long as a tree doesn’t come crashing down on my house (or the wind doesn’t pick up our pool solar heating panels that are perpendicular to the roof’s slope for some dumb reason), or a tornado doesn’t spawn on top of us we should be good.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/NWSKeyWest/status/907107782226259968?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fliveupdate%2Fzkadef2ttzql%2FLiveUpdate_dfa59188-96ae-11e7-9c88-0e84ceb40b6e%2F0

Well boo power finally gave out

I realize the power outages are widespread and making communications difficult at best, but if all our QT3 Florida folks could check in here when possible just to let us know you’re OK, that would be awesome. I was worried for the lot of you all day/night last night. My wife and I were in Indianapolis enjoying a near perfect night walking around downtown, having a nice dinner and then seeing U2 on their Joshua Tree tour at Lucas Oil Stadium (absolutely amazing show!), but my mind kept wandering back to Florida all night, especially Tampa Bay which has become a second home city to me over the past decade and all the folks on here who were in the path of the storm.

The news reports I am seeing this morning appear hopeful. Plenty of the usual storm damage, trees down, power out, boats tossed up on shore, low-lying areas flooded, damage to rooftops, small structures, etc., but I hadn’t seen any reports of catastrophic damage anywhere thus far. I hate saying things like “it looks like it wasn’t so bad”, because there is always someone, somewhere, for whom it WAS really bad, but it certainly looks at this point like the storm weakened enough that catastrophic destruction and loss of life was pretty much avoided. I hope that holds true as we learn more throughout the day today.

Stay safe Florida folks!

Jesus, that is awful. As relieved as I am that Florida seems to have avoided the worst case scenarios, I feel terrible for the people of the Bahamas who were not so lucky and are struggling with this now. I realize that the territories in the story are the British, French and Dutch controlled areas, but we are the closest major country, and I can’t believe we haven’t sent Navy ships (out of Virginia or the Carolina’s) to assist. Maybe we have and there just hasn’t been any news of it? I mean, two or three ships loaded with food and medical supplies would seem like enough to at least alleviate the short term issues with food and care for the injured?

I saw a report that the governor of the Virgin Islands signed an order to seize weapons. There’s a common belief among disaster nerds that even if social order were to break down and the civil government no longer provides the illusion of protection, they will still try to control any law-abiding citizens they happen to come across displaying weapons to protect themselves. Good dose of reality for end-of-the-world fantasies.

As a side note, I saw that concert earlier this summer and was blown away. It was epic. The best concert and show I’ve ever seen.

Not sure if praying to Pepsi Jesus or if he needs water. Being from the South, there are a lot of the former types, so I have to ask.

Good here in Orlando. All the shit we kept hearing crash into the roof apparently was just small branches (they sounded much heavier). I don’t see any shingles missing, the fence only has two panels down (it was kinda rickety anyway) and our pool screen only has two small tears in it.

Our power is still out so I have my fridge hooked up to my neighbors generator.

A good number of people around here are calling into the radio reporting tornado damage to houses.

All in all it could have been a lot worse so I’m not complaining. Harvey happening so soon helped us I think, because people got their freaking out done a week before so gas, water, generators, etc were all supplied throughout the week and by Friday there wasn’t a rush and fighting at stores.

Ahh, I should have guessed the meme there. That went straight over my head.

Just heard on the radio that here in Orlando area at least 500 homes have flood damage and 250 people had to be rescued from chest high water. No idea what parts though

Everything fine here. Internet is out but I have spotty LTE.

Anyone know what to do with a bathtub full of room temperature water?

If anyone out there needs help with anything let me know.

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. —

The entire Cocoa water system has main breaks, officials said Monday. Water service is unavailable.

Residents of Cocoa, Rockledge, Merritt Island, Viera, Port St. John and Cocoa Beach are advised to boil water.

Ouch. That’s going to take some time.

Flush the toilet after using it by pouring a bucket of water in there?

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Siphon-Hose-Pack/dp/B000ZORJ1E

Or some variation, depending (there seem be dozens of different versions of this concept out there, and I’m sure a Qt3 boat owner will come along and recommend something better).

Lost a few shingles. Power still off, no ETA on fix. Curfew untl 6PM.

No WOTC. That really sucks.

Holy fuck. Power is back.

Awesome. How great are the various clicks and whooshes that announce the power is back?