The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

You should bet on roulette how many inches accumulation you will get.

I grew up in Myerstown which is not far from where that accident occurred and have driven that stretch countless times. It’s true. I78 is always loaded with trucks so even on a nice sunny day it gets your attention.

When those snow squalls roll through PA on any of the major highways you can have serious consequences mainly because visibility plummets fast, everyone thinks the road is moving, and by the time you see it, even if you’ve throttled back to like 35 you can have zero time to react.

We had one here in Reading just a couple weeks ago… I was out in it when it happened but heading the other way toward home after the crash site.

When you posted this four days ago, I sent the link to my wife, saying could she make this for me.

So yesterday morning, we didn’t have any beets in the house, but she made me a sandwich using all the remaining ingredients. The sandwich was an excellent breakfast but it was definitely missing something. So after doing my usual Sunday shopping at Aldi, I also stopped at Walmart and bought some beets.

It’s the first time I’ve bought Beets. For those that don’t know, it not only has the purple veggies we are familiar with, but also these stems and leaves that grow out of it. So I looked up online that you can use those leaves like you would Spinach. So my wife cooked those using her regular spinach recipe, and I gotta say, it was delicious that way.

And finally for dinner, we both had the full Bombay sandwich, with the beets as the star ingredient. Excellent! So delicious. Thanks for sharing!

I also like to cook them like collared greens. A little olive oil, some chili flakes, salt, and apple cider vinegar.

You can also use bacon instead of the olive oil. Replace the salt with chicken stock. Add peppers of your choice (I like cayenne). Onions are good.

But the basic idea of a fat, an acid, and some salt.

I hate beets. But I love borscht.

Beets, borscht, Battlestar Galactica.

Wait! What is going on!? What are you doing?

That’s awesome! I really love those sandwiches, especially griddled with a little cheese inside. I’m super glad that you guys enjoyed them :-D

I do, in fact, love beets. In fact I am having the last of my balsamic glazed beet, carrot, and potato dish I made. Which used the last of the beets and carrots from my garden.

Ugh, beets. The rabbit turds of the vegetable world. In weather news, the only remaining vestiges of the snowpocalypse in my yard is the base of the snowman my kids made.

So salt fat acid heat?

Sounds like a great book title.

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/buy-book/

Ha, that’s hilarious.

And on point. I’m sure it works well for many things, veggies in particular. I mean my balsamic root veggies were basically the same concept. Balsamic, olive oil, salt, black pepper.

Fun fact: some theater folks I’ve done some work with here in Seattle are doing a stage production of Jitterbug Perfume staying in a couple weeks. I can’t wait. It isn’t my favorite of Robbins’ books (that would be Still Life With Woodpecker), but it’s certainly the best choice for dinner theater.

I’m so tired of snow. I know I said I love having four seasons in Kansas City, but there’s been way too many snow events this year. Last night another 4 inches, and it was a really heavy wet snow, and it’s all a big slushy mess today. There’s rain in the forecast on Saturday, and then more snow on Sunday.

So tired of walking around like a penguin.

We flew into Kansas City Friday, just before the big storm hit. Spent most of the day trapped in the hotel, which thankfully had our room ready and allowed us to early check-in at 9:00AM (mad props to the good people working at the Marriott KC Airport!). I did score an AWD SUV from Hertz (a Nissan Rogue-like) so we were able to venture out after the storm with some teammates and grab dinner at Tanner’s Platte City. Nice little place, reminded me of our favorite neighborhood joint at home.

We flew home again on Tuesday morning, ahead of the second storm. Can’t say I got to see much of Kansas City in between, as when we weren’t trapped in the Airport Marriott we were trapped in the KC Convention Center for 10 hour days of volleyball. We did have lunch downtown at The Quaff on Saturday, that was cool. On Monday after the tournament ended we did manage to make it over to Joe’s Kansas City BBQ on West 47th Street for dinner, the original gas station location, which was very cool. The parents all thought it was delicious, the girls not so much (“ewww…it’s in a gas station?!”). LOL.

So, it drives a few blocks and breaks down? Then you start from the beginning again? :)

Exactly!

I was thinking it can only drive a block at a time, then it has to wait for all the other cars to go.

“Car needs fuel badly!”

Ditto.
We’ve had so much thawing then refreezing the snowbanks lining my driveway have become as solid as rock. Since I can’t shovel a channel for drainage (at least not without a jackhammer or dynamite) this gives the added benefit of turning the bottom half of my driveway into either a lake or an ice rink depending on the temp (which continues to roller coaster wildly.)

Weirdly I saw a few robins the other day. They’re like six weeks early. Maybe they’re harbingers of an early spring.