The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

So poor visibility, road surface not clean, and people going too fast.

Yep seems normal.

He was right though. Stay in the truck.

Gonna be a lot of totaled car insurance claims from that mess.

Aw man, I wanted to see more cars.

Somebody is dead in that video, dude.

So this happened last night downtown just outside our hockey rink and will have frozen over this morning:

That happens sometimes. I was just enjoying the crashing!

I’ve never seen that many cars go that fast on a road covered in white like that. It’s… nuts.

Yeah, been on plenty of roads equally covered and… they’re damned idiots.

That white truck towards the middle? What the hell was he thinking!

Pileups like this are pretty common in Europe, I think, the cars going faster than in the US. (I.e. less reaction time.)

This one’s a bit old:

The covering is bad, the visibility is worse. There’s no way people were able to see that pileup anywhere near far enough away to stop at the speeds they’re going.

We had something like this in PA a few years ago due to a sudden snow squall. I-78 is scary enough without inclement weather as it’s full of trucks headed to or from NYC, but getting caught in a white-out on it is deadly.

Yeah, and if they were on the highway they may have been going slow, but I bet they were still going 40. It’s also dangerous to go too slow on the highway. I think the lack of visibility caught people by surprise.

That’s not what I mean. When our roads look like that, you’d expect people to be going slow, I mean really slow. We’re talking like 25 mph without / with chains only the 4x4 jerks barreling down the left lane, a few of those winding up in a ditch sort of thing. I have not seen cars go that fast in those conditions before, not even on a freeway.

I was feeling the same way. They barrelled between two fully stopped 18 wheelers. What could they possibly be thinking? I saw a woman interviewed, one of the cars that crashed. She said she didn’t understand what happened. I could hazard a guess.

Yeah i’m baffled.

I mean if I-5 looked like that, I’d expect a ton of cars in chains, which might be a maximum of 30 mph in those (give me a break driveby fact shooters, I don’t know every chain combination out there). You’d probably have a number of cars actually trying to put their chains on because we’re near a pass, so this includes the semis, and the left lane would almost be empty. Everyone is going around 25 in the right, so it takes an hour or so plus to get to work not because of accidents but because everyone is going so slow and being so careful… and even then, like on the overpass, you’ll see cars run red lights because they can’t stop, but everyone is aware. And them not stop is just this slow ass glide to the other side.

I’m not talking about like side roads, this is the freeway. I’ve never seen, in person, cars barreling down white roads like that. It just baffles me.You can’t stop.

It’s been snowing here in Vegas for about the last 90 minutes. In the 29 years I’ve lived here, I’ve only seen it snow with easily visible snowflakes 5 times previous, and not since 2004. That day, there was pretty good accumulation, and it managed to hang around all day, which is the only time I’ve seen that happen. Currently, this stuff is melting as soon as it touches ground, but the forecast is calling for up to an inch Wed night/Thu morning.