The Music of 2020

Ok it’s just a song on a soundtrack, but new Mitski is new Mitski especially after she went on hiatus last year and people were worried she was done making stuff, though this may have very well been recorded some time ago.

On the shoegaze front, this Deserta debut album is very nice. Apparently this is a project from Matt Doty who was in Saxon Shore with Father John Misty.

When Rishi Dhir first left The High Dials a decade or so ago and started his own band, The Elephant Stone, I’m not sure anyone on the planet could do a great fake George Harrison song quite as well, right down to the sitars and tambla. But Rishi’s always had eclectic musical influences, and his later records either with MIEN or the Elephant Stone have had a more jaggedy post-punk feel, with bits of dark electronica thrown in. And those worked, too.

But the latest Elephant Stone single is a bit of a return to his roots, so to speak…only maybe a bit informed by some of the musical places he’s been recently, too. And it’s easily so far my favorite song of the very young new year.

Very much digging both the Deserta and the Elephant Stone. That ES track is jangle heaven.

Now for something completely different:

Also this new Wire is killing me. When most of his peers are collecting social security, Colin Newman is busy penning shiny perfect-pop post-punk records.

Hope they come out this way this year, because they remain a stomping live band.

Good stuff, y’all! Thanks.

I’ve been liking the new Alexandra Savior album, especially track 1… Play it loud!

After decades of basically doing greatest hits tours, the Psychedelic Furs are putting out a new album, their first in 29 years.

I never seem to get tired of the sound of overdriven guitars. Wonder why that is?

These kids definitely have the right influences to make me adore them (the Kraut-ier end of Stereolab and MBV pretty much covers it).

Andrew Brough, who wrote and sang the sweet songs in Straitjacket Fits and later in his own band Bike, has died at age 57.

A favorite Andrew Brough song:

I mean. My god.

“Hi. We’re Flyying Colours. We somehow just keep getting better. Our full album that’s apparently finally coming out this year is starting to feel like an ‘event’ release.”

Excellent…very excited!

That was inspiring.

As you’ve probably noticed I like to keep you all informed about some local music, Boston’s Vundabar look to have a new album out this year, sludgy jangle pop.

This isn’t bad, bassline reminds me a ton of Chemical Imbalance from the Skatenigs (rest of the song not so much)

So the whole brand new Elephant Stone album (it’s called “Hollow”) just dropped, and I don’t know if what I really needed was a sci-fi/psychedelic concept prog-rock album to make my brain sing…but damned if that isn’t exactly what this is. And goddamn if it isn’t great. Just put it on Spotify, make sure it’s crossfading the tracks, and let just let this monster go.

This is basically everything I love about mid-period Pink Floyd, psych period Pretty Things, The Who, and yeah, even lots of The Beatles, Yes, and some occasional King Crimson thrown in.

Why stop at just one? HÄLLAS, who play jammy 70’s proto-metal in the vein of Blue Oyster Cult and Uriah Heep, just dropped their new album as well. Excerpts from a Future Past was one of my favorites from a couple years ago, and the new one, Conundrum is living up to it on first listen.

New Tame Impala album just dropped. First impression is that it’s more of the same, but that’s alright with me!

Album playlist:

Fuck yeeeeah.