The Music of 2020

That chorus hook is just massive! So great.

Also, new Brendan Benson single dropped today, his first solo work in a good while.

This is really good. It really does feel like some recently discovered album for the 70’s.

new PURITY RING!!!!#!!@$Y!!!

I too love this one! Great stuff.

ohai new Sparks song…

I mean…

Ooo, catchy.

Also, catchy:

Dig this new Bilinda Butchers EP. Hoping for a new album.

I like it! I also like:

The first time you saw her was at a mutual friend’s after-party after the My Bloody Valentine show in 1994.

You started going out. The first time you made out, it was at her place when her roommates weren’t home and the mixtape you made her with three Yo La Tengo songs on it was playing on her boom box.

In the car when you were together you’d listen to that Small Factory CD you taped. Or maybe the Bunnygrunt disc you recorded on the flipside of the cassette. You went to see Unrest play and held hands. You saw Superchunk together and she laughingly dragged you into the ragged, half-assed indie rock mosh pit.

You knew you were going to break up a week before it happened. You shut yourself in your room and listened to Low the whole time and wondered if you’d ever fall in love again.

You were a cuddle-core kid through and through and why the fuck not? In a decade when everything was irony and coolness, something about music that said the sweet things that it thought with wide-eyed innocent sincerity was awesome.

And somehow, though they’re far, far too young to have been alive back then, the either awesomely or horribly named band Frankie Valet have absorbed it all. If you have a soft spot for any band I’ve just awkwardly and dork-ily namechecked…I’m about to introduce you to your favorite group of 2020.

Out here it was Tullycraft, Rocketship or Tiger Trap shows, but I get what you mean.

These kids are good! Gonna order the tape before it sells out.

Oh man. Tullycraft! I haven’t thought of them in years. So good!

Speaking of whom, apparently they reformed last year to record an album, The Railway Prince Hotel. This totally escaped me, so I am now making up for time.

Sean Tollefson still sounds like a teenager.

First track off the upcoming new Throwing Muses album

Yeah! That’s really good.

New Caribou is here, and it’s marvelous.

(Interesting episode of Song Exploder about making “Home” with Dan Snaith, if you’re interested: https://songexploder.net/caribou)

Why, yes, I am interested. Thanks!

The album turn from “Like I Loved You” to “Magpie” is like a master-class in album sequencing…and it also helps that those two songs are great and work together so well as a magnificent setpiece.

New HAIM video. I love the band and like this song, but I find the video kind of hard to watch.

Ringo Deathstarr getting serious about trying to break out a little. Prestigious indie Club AC30 may help them do it. So will ace new songs like this.

OH! And we’re finally getting a new Lianne La Havas record this year!

First single is fantastic: