The Netflix TV Show Thread

Maid was trending so I clicked. Ended up watching all of it. The acting is pretty good, and it is an interesting story. I love the part where she’s listening to the judge and the dialogue is replaced with “legal legal legal”

I just discovered a series from a few years back called The Roman Empire. No boobs or blood (sorry hBo), but it’s a mix of documentary and dramatization. The three seasons focus on Commodus, Caesar (Julius), and Caligula. Narrated by Sean Bean.

I just started the Commodus season, and it’s pretty good so far.

Finishing this up currently. Mistakenly, out of order - started with Caligula. Funny, I made that same observation: was glad it was low on the graphic violence so that maybe I could get my wife to watch at some point. But that sort of goes out the window with the Julius Caesar season with arrows through eyes and swords through guts. There’s definitely boobs in all three seasons, though.

Show’s been enjoyable so far. The Ottoman Empire one was good, too. They’ve only done one season so far.

NF wanted to start me with Caligula too, for some reason. Didn’t know about the Ottoman one. I’ll have to check it out next.

I’ve watched a couple of episodes. It starts out so bleak it’s tough for me to continue… I understand there needs to be some bad stuff so she can rise out of it, but man, for the first two or three episodes, whenever something happens, if you imagine the worst possible outcome, that’s what she gets.

As far as I remember, its also Almost completely made up, and dramatized to hell, unfortunately. Otherwise id be all over it as well.

If it helps it ends in a sweet note. But yeah it’s rough. Which is what makes it powerful.

Just start watching the Portuguese show Glória. It’s a period spy thriller, set in the late 60s in Portugal and, occasionally, Angola. The Salazar government hosts the American broadcasting facility for Radio Free Europe, while walking a fine line between the anti-communism and anti-capitalism of the dictator, trying to balance the American gratitude for the use of Portugal with the American condemnation of the colonial war in Angola.

The show concerns spying and sabotage at the radio broadcast facility, and characters include the son of a senior government official (a war veteran with PTSD and one of the Portuguese engineers who run the place); cell of (presumably Soviet-run) saboteurs bent on hamstringing the radio broadcasts; the American CIA people trying to stop the saboteurs; and the local secret police generally dealing out their own misery. There are also subplots about the poor young men being sent off to the meat grinder in Angola, and the people they leave behind.

The production values are very high and the period sets and props are excellent, particularly the collection of vintage BMW sedans that appear in every other scene. And plot wise, it’s a tangle; which characters are on which teams, and why, is information that is slowly doled out in small doses. It’s clear that the main character has a hidden agenda, but it is not entirely clear what it is.

In Portuguese and English with English subtitles; or a dubbed version is apparently available as well.

Just want to say that I finished Glória and it is really good. Still trying to figure out what the ending means.

Tear Along the Dotted Line is a good short new animated show, for adults. It’s originally in Italian and I think that’s how to watch it if you can keep up with the sub titles as while the English dub isn’t terrible the VO has a different feel to the emotion and flow.

Tomorrow is going to be a pretty wild day for me. 3 final episodes of Arcane, 3 episodes of Wheel of Time and Cowboy Bebop in Netflix.

Find some time for video games too!

What’s the word on that Wheel of Time series so far? I never read the books, so imperfect fidelity to them is not going to bug me.

The word is it’s not a Netflix show.

Yes I realize that-- guess I was hoping @TurinTur would see my question, since he mentioned it.

Thanks for lifting this up. I watched episode one and I will be back for more.

Well, we only have site reviews for now, which only have watched the first three episodes. They seem more or less… not impressed. That said, WoT is more straightforward fantasy than say, GoT or Witcher, so some people may have the wrong expectations, and the start of WoT is weak, so I’m not worried, for now.

My pleasure! For some reason I always want other people to watch shows / read books I liked!

Started Super Crooks. Just one episode in, way better than I was expecting. (Note: I’m not familiar with the source material.)

I’m not sure there is any source material?