The NFL 2018 Season

I’m not quite sold on Rosen. Aside from that wild (and I mean wild) comeback against A&M, has he really shown anything spectacular? (And that A&M comeback only happened because A&M defenders literally let game-sealing interceptions fly through their hands on multiple occasions).

And, yeah, he got beat up a lot. UCLA played at UW this year and he was absolutely mauled by Vita Vea and knocked out of the game.

UCLA season ticket holder here. From his first pass as a true frosh, I’ve been convinced. Maybe part of it is coming from Hundley, but Rosen can (and mostly does) put the ball exactly where his receiver needs it, though he can be a bit streaky and on those few occasions where he’s off, he sails it (which is bad, bad, bad), but I really think he’s the best QB in this draft right now - Darnold has had accuracy problems this past year, and probably needs at least a few months before he’s ready to start, and I think Allen will need longer than that, if he’s ever accurate enough to be a pro. Mayfield’s also ready to start, but I think Rosen has the better arm, and he’s taller, and I think he just has a higher ceiling.

If he isn’t knocked out of the league, that is. Dropping to a team with a better OL would be the best thing for him.

Random aside;
If both Barkley and Chubb are gone by #4, I believe the Browns will trade down

Cleveland goes with Mayfield #1

Barkley goes #2 to NYG

Yep, now comes a more curious pick. I have NO clue who’s going 3.
edit - random rant: Barkley looks like a fantastic back and I know people love making comparisons, but he’s NOT Barry Sanders.

Jets go Darnold

Well, shocked me!
Ward goes #4

And Chubb goes #5 to the Broncos.

Was hoping Roquan Smith would fall to the Niners, but nope. I suspect they are shopping the pick right now.

Tampa Bay just won the draft.

They could have had Chubb and paired him with Myles Garrett. That would be a nice pass rush. That makes a secondary better.

CB seems like one of those positions that is hard to project, like QB. Ward isn’t that big either. I’m not really liking this one.

Eagles take Lamar Jackson. He is either going to play WR or be traded, I guess. He said he wants to play QB but they have Wentz. I guess he could be the backup. That’s a high pick to spend on a backup QB, though.

Uhm, no. The Ravens took Jackson. Wrong birds.

Oops. I was looking at a tiny symbol at ESPN’s list. I didn’t realize the Ravens traded for that pick. Makes more sense now. Jackson can sit and learn for a year and if he looks promising, they can move on from Flacco.

I can see them developing some special plays for Jackson this season too. No reason he can’t come in and run some version of the wildcat from time to time.

I disagree. Ward can cover. And hit.

Seahawks took Rashad Penny, RB, San Diego State. PFF actually rated him as a better pure RB than Barkley. He lead the nation in yards and broken tackles. Plus, 8 career kickoff returns for a TD.

You could argue he was a reach in the first round, but the Seahawks don’t have a 2nd-round pick, and only one 3rd-round pick, which they picked up for trading down from #18.

John Schneider said another team called right after they picked Penny and wanted to trade for his rights. Speculation is could have been the Pats (who took a RB a few picks later) or the Browns, who were reportedly in love with Penny and wanted him at #33.

Bold predictions:

Rashaad Penny:

A) Leads all rookie backs in yards from scrimmage
B) Easily replaces Jimmy Graham’s TD production
C) Still baffles pundits as to why Seahawks drafted him in first round

This bodes poorly for Rosen:

1. Arizona

I always remember what Al Davis/John Madden used to argue about on draft day.

Al Davis felt that the #1 most important position was CB.
Madden felt that the #1 most important position was OL.

However, it worked out, because Madden thought #2 was CB, and Davis felt that #2 was OL.

In today’s NFL, QB is up there as well, but I don’t think you can go far wrong with Davis/Madden’s approach(es) - and given my Rosen opinion, QB can be worse than worthless if you don’t have an OL to protect him.