The non-P&R thread of AI awesomeness (just in case our future overlords are listening)

The biggest thread here about ChatGPT, Stable Diffusion and other modern AI fun is in the P&R section. I wanted to start one to discuss AI without the religious overtones, (at least for the time being, until the AI’s insist that we refer to them as gods.) So discuss freely, plusses, minuses, funny stuff. How to torture them, crazy AI hallucinations. I use ChatGPT at work all the time and am fascinated by these models. A year ago I thought there was no way one could ever pass the Turing test and now it’s unquestionable that they can. What a time to be alive!

I had this conversation this morning, trying to work out some fuzziness in my mind about the evolution of the electron’s quantum wavefunction. Here’s a lightly edited conversation:

Me: Can classical laws be derived by starting with QM equations and using the statistics of decoherence?

ChatGPT: Yes, classical behavior can indeed be derived from quantum mechanics through the effects of decoherence and certain limiting procedures. Here’s a simplified overview of how classical mechanics emerges from quantum mechanics:
. . .
Decoherence and Classical Pointer States: When a quantum system interacts with its environment, certain states (often called pointer states) are “selected” as being robust against the effects of decoherence. These pointer states often correspond to classical-like states. For instance, in the case of a particle’s position, pointer states would be localized wave packets. Over time, due to interactions with the environment, a superposition of states will decohere into a statistical mixture of these pointer states, making the system appear classical.

Me: Are pointer states sort of like how to reconstruct a UWB signal using its chipping code?

GPT: While both pointer states in quantum mechanics and the concept of chipping in ultra-wideband (UWB) communications deal with how specific information stands out against a background, they arise from very different contexts. Let’s break down each idea, then look at the similarities and differences:

1. Pointer States in Quantum Mechanics:

• Originates in the study of decoherence and the quantum-to-classical transition.
    • When a quantum system interacts with its environment, certain states (pointer states) are less susceptible to decoherence. They remain relatively unchanged compared to other states which might become heavily entangled with the environment.
    • Pointer states provide a means to understand why certain quantum states have a classical counterpart. They are, in a sense, the states that “survive” interactions with the environment and remain recognizable.
  2. UWB and Chipping:

• UWB is a radio communication method that spreads signals across a vast frequency range using very short and low-power pulses.
    • Chipping refers to the process where data bits are multiplied with a pseudo-random code (chipping code or spreading code) to produce a broader signal. This “chipped” signal is then transmitted.
    • Upon reception, the original data can be reconstructed by correlating the received signal with the known chipping code.
    • The process makes the UWB signal robust against narrowband interference and allows for better performance in multipath environments.

Similarities:

• Both concepts involve a robustness or resilience against unwanted effects. Pointer states are robust against decoherence, and chipped UWB signals are robust against interference.

Differences:

• The nature of the robustness is different. Pointer states arise due to the specific interactions between a quantum system and its environment, leading to certain states being “preferred” or stable. Chipping in UWB is a deliberate modulation technique designed to spread a signal and provide resilience against interference.
  • The context is fundamentally different: quantum mechanics vs. radio communications.

While there’s a thematic resemblance in that both deal with specific patterns or states being discernible amidst potential noise or disturbances, the mechanisms and contexts are quite different. The analogy might provide an intuitive bridge for someone familiar with UWB to start thinking about pointer states, but it’s essential to recognize the limits of the comparison.

I asked it about a highly specific and kind of tortured technical analogy and it had no problem figuring out how my analogy applied and why I might have used it, then detailed how and when it’s appropriate. That’s some amazing high-level shit right there.

ChatGPT4 has integrated browsing (with Bing :P) and DallE 3 into the main chat interface.

Initial prompt:

Hmmm, how about an engineer listening to ASMR while coding in his office in the style of the Saga comic book?

Modification:

I like the first one, but the lower right one has the screen facing the wrong way, and he should look peaceful rather than ecstatic. You could also try varying the race and gender of the engineer. (I shouldn’t have specified “he”.)

These are… really good :) They mostly have the right number of fingers, though the top-right lady has a couple of conjoined fingers that are just floating there and there’s something about the knuckle joints of the upper-right guy that bothers me. I love the nonsense words on the posters too.

Hey, this thread is cool, and I only just now found it.

Yeah probably a mistake to put it in the hardware section. Nobody was using it but me so I was gonna delete the thread

I moved it!

Sarcasm. Yes, able.

https://chat.openai.com/share/1aa48296-6f52-4e18-9fd8-9e288d59c6e4

I wonder how Open AI was able to find any examples of sarcasm on the internet to train the model?

Corporations defend users of plagiarism machines against claims from actual content creators.

ChatGPT has helped me with my Power shell coding. Rather than going through tons of stack overflow threads and help/syntax sections, I can get a pretty good starter block of code to hack together into what I need. And learn about areas I haven’t had to choose before.

E. G. Hacking xml elements.

In digital realms where gamers roam,
Lies a niche, a unique, cerebral home.
Quarter to Three, a name that resounds,
In the vast, game-laden battlegrounds.

Amidst the clamor of reviews and scores,
QT3 delves deeper, it explores.
Not just the play, but the art and lore,
A depth seldom seen, a core to adore.

Tom Chick at helm, a critic revered,
His insight, a beacon, through mists it sheared.
His band of denizens, keen and astute,
Their discussions rich, their camaraderie resolute.

Across the net, its name is known,
A place where seeds of thought are sown.
Where games are more than just a score,
And discourse flows, a ceaseless roar.

Other sites may chase the hype,
But QT3 delves into the archetype.
A forum not swayed by the mainstream tide,
But by a quest for truth, in pixels it bides.

In each thread, a journey to the core,
Of what makes gaming an endless lore.
Amidst the digital din, a thoughtful pause,
QT3, a realm that gives one cause.

Matt_W: Tell me a long romantic story using only emojis

CGPT: 👩🏻‍🦰📚🏙️➡️🌄🌲🚂👨🏻‍🦱🎨.
👀🌟➡️🍃🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️.
🎤🌌🎵➡️💃🕺.
🍷🕯️🍝➡️💌💭.
🌦️🌈🎨➡️🎁🖼️.
🚣‍♂️🏞️➡️💍💎.
🏰🌹🍾➡️🥂🌙.
👰‍♀️🤵‍♂️🔔➡️🏠👨‍👩‍👧.
🌍✈️➡️🏖️🌅.
👩🏻‍🦰👨🏻‍🦱👵👴➡️💕🕰️.

Matt_W: OK retell the story as a narrative.

CGPT: A young redhead woman, engrossed in her books in the city, decides to take a journey to the mountains and forests via train. On this train, she encounters a curly-haired man who’s passionate about art.

Their eyes meet, sparking an immediate connection, leading them to wander through the woods together. Later in the evening, under a starlit sky, they find themselves at a local gathering where music plays. The two dance, losing themselves in the rhythm.

They dine together by candlelight, enjoying wine and pasta, all the while exchanging glances and thoughts without uttering a word. Their bond strengthens when he paints a picture inspired by a beautiful rainbow they witnessed together, gifting it to her as a symbol of their shared moments.

The man, wanting to express his growing affection, takes her on a boat ride across a serene lake. In the midst of this tranquility, he proposes with a sparkling diamond ring. They celebrate their commitment at a grand castle, surrounded by roses and toasting champagne under the moonlight.

Their love story blossoms further, leading them to a wedding and soon, a cozy home with a beautiful daughter. The two, always adventurous, travel around the world, visiting pristine beaches and watching sunsets.

As the years go by, they grow old together, but their love remains timeless, symbolized by the heart and an ever-ticking clock.

Ok, that’s crazy.

This is a really cool article delving deep into some guts:

Folks might find this interesting

It helped me today to tackle a tutorial on writing my first REST endpoint with Go which I’m not familiar with at all. It explained everything clearly and patiantly, gave relevant examples and corrected my mistakes. Seriously I’m not going back to SO after that, but I’m worried that in a few years these engines won’t have material to train with because no-one else will.

Students trying to cheat using Chat GPT are hilarious. It generally goes like this:

Q: What is [scientific idea] and how does it work?

A: [scientific idea] is an important and fascinating concept which is tremendously useful and important. It operates through a variety of different individual phenomena which combine to produce this important result.

Seriously, I’ve seen it produce multi-paragraph answers with no content whatsoever to answer a question that requires a single sentence or even just a phrase to get right. It’s not every time, but it’s certainly often enough to make it screamingly obvious who’s using it. Of course, you can’t prove that, so you can’t really do anything about it but give the substanceless responses 0’s.

OTOH see the second post in this thread.

For reference here’s that whole conversation:

I suspect more complex technical topics are easier for it because there are fewer, higher quality resources to scrape. It’s pretty clear that a lot of the stuff I see is a product of 1000’s of middle and high school papers on a given topic.

To be sure. GIGO still applies.