The North Korea Thread

It was probably obvious, but just in case I want to make sure you know I was joking (with both comments). I’ve never actually read the entirety of Vietnam’s DoI, though, so thanks for the link!

Heh, yeah, I knew it was humorous! Though with forum posts, man, it’s sometimes hard to tell.

Spain’s 1978 Constitution is definitely closer to the French than to the American spirit. It is a direct consequence of the rise of the European Union, to be precise.

That we came from a fascist dictatorship directly supported during most of the Cold War by the US (I hope those air bases were worth the cost) probably had something to do with it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/north-korea-could-cross-icbm-threshold-next-year-us-officials-warn-in-new-assessment/2017/07/25/4107dc4a-70af-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html

North Korea will be able to field a reliable, nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic missile as early as next year, U.S. officials have concluded in a confidential assessment that dramatically shrinks the timeline for when Pyongyang could strike North American cities with atomic weapons.

The new assessment by the Pentagon’s Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), which shaves a full two years off the consensus forecast for North Korea’s ICBM program, was prompted by recent missile tests showing surprising technical advances by the country’s weapons scientists, at a pace beyond which many analysts believed was possible for the isolated communist regime.

The U.S. projection closely mirrors revised predictions by South Korean intelligence officials, who also have watched with growing alarm as North Korea has appeared to master key technologies needed to loft a warhead toward targets thousands of miles away.

The finding further increases the pressure on U.S. and Asian leaders to halt North Korea’s progress before it can threaten the world with nuclear-tipped missiles. President Trump, during his visit to Poland earlier this month, vowed to confront Pyongyang “very strongly” to stop its missile advances.

I see only three possible results for NK:

1. We decide to live with a NK that can hit LA with nukes
  2. We take direct military action
  3. China intervenes, which is unlikely unless they believe we are about to take direct military action

There seems little chance this ends well.

That latest missile could go as far as Denver, possibly Chicago.

Maybe, just maybe, NK is working on their version of the Mercury program? Sure, they have tested nukes before, and they have waxed bellicose before, but maybe they just want to put one of their countrymen into orbit.

They can build the missile, and they can build the nuke. Every country that had those two components in the past was able to put them together shortly after. Turns out it’s just 1950s rocket science.

God help us that we have to depend on Trump to somehow handle this situation. I can only imagine them beginning the artillery barrage on Seoul because they thought one of his tweets meant we were about to attack.

The one thing you want with nuclear weapons is predictability. There is no room for screwing up and escalating.

You remember Trump’s tweets from the 26th regarding transgender troops? Remember how the announcement was divided into three tweets? There was a nine minute delay between the first tweet to the second one that actually specified what the directive was about.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/890193981585444864

• nine minutes later

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/890196164313833472

There are reports that military personnel in the Pentagon didn’t know what was going on, so some of them feared the President was announcing military action against North Korea before the second tweet came out.

At the Pentagon, the first of the three tweets raised fears that the president was getting ready to announce strikes on North Korea or some other military action. Many said they were left in suspense for nine minutes, the time between the first and second tweet. Only after the second tweet did military officials receive the news the president was announcing a personnel change on Twitter.

This would almost be funny, if there weren’t nuclear weapons and millions of lives at stake

At least there is precedent for number 1; we’ve lived with other, often hostile, nations having ICMBs for decades now. Admittedly, Pyongyang does not exactly inspire even the confidence that even Moscow at its Cold War most paranoid did, but it’s certainly a conceivable long-term option, sadly enough.

It wouldn’t shock me if we see a nuclear missile fired during Trump’s reign. He’s probably been dreaming of having that sort of power for years. It might be the only way he can achieve climax these days.

I’m deadly serious when I say that over and under for me is one nuclear explosion during Trump’s term. This doesn’t mean that US will be the one setting it off. It could be NK, Iran, Russia or a terrorist group, but the sheer amount of incompetence, chaos, and unnecessary tension caused by Trump increases the risk by a least an order of magnitude.

I assume you mean in anger?

NK has been making the things fairly regularly for a while now.

Yes, one that kills lots of people.

I’ll go a step further and say Trump wouldn’t shed a lot of tears if they nuked us here in LA. He’d still destroy NK but with all of our illegal voters, his re-election would be assured.

I said something similar to someone recently. Living in Seattle, I commented that Trump would not care one bit if the entire west coast got nuked by NK, since none of his supporters are here. My husband told me I was being ridiculous, and perhaps it is a bit hyperbolic, but I honestly don’t think Trump cares at all about the welfare of the residents of California, Oregon or Washington.

Fortunately, we’re moving back to the east coast next month. So, out of range of crazy Kim Jong Un, but much closer to crazy Donald. Hm, not sure which is worse.

Agreed, also in Seattle waves.

He would sure make a SHOW of caring, though, and using it as an excuse to start world war III

Now, if Kim would threaten to nuke just a Trump property somewhere…