The North Korea Thread

How about Chickenhawk in Charge.

Most optimistic take:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/921903403952898048

What a braintrust we have.

Love it.

FTFY, broseph.

Goldfein, who is the Air Force’s top officer and a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is asking his force to think about new ways that nuclear weapons could be used for deterrence, or even combat.

“The world is a dangerous place and we’ve got folks that are talking openly about use of nuclear weapons,” he said.

Talking about one’s self in the third person is never a good sign, I was taught.

By not using them. Not new though.

The Air Force, back to its old habits from the early days of SAC, I see. “We don’t need no stinkin’ Army! Just the threat of a nuke will keep everyone in line! Or maybe a few dropped on their pointy heads!”

Dad used to be part of SAC back in the 70s – I remember him laughing with some other USAF buddies at a party. I guess SAC was in the process of coming up with a new motto, and they were having a good time suggesting some.

“If it moves, we can nuke it. If it doesn’t move, we’ll nuke it twice.”

“You have a problem, and the solution is a mushroom cloud.”

“BOOM.”

Yonhap News: S. Korea, U.S. leaders to discuss military options against N. Korea: McMaster

WASHINGTON, Nov. 2 (Yonhap) – Military options against North Korea will be on the table when the U.S. and South Korean leaders meet next week, a top U.S. official said Thursday.

“It would be irresponsible not to talk about the potential for military efforts within the alliance,” H.R. McMaster, national security adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump, said.

“The reason why that topic must be on the agenda is because of the behavior of this rogue regime and the threat that (North Korean leader) Kim Jong-un poses,” he said in a roundtable interview with news outlets from the five Asian nations Trump will be visiting starting Friday.

Trump and South Korean President Moon Jae-in are to meet in Seoul on Tuesday.

The reason why that topic must be on the agenda is because of the behavior of the Trump regime and the need to distract the attention of the investigation on colluding with an enemy of our nation.

Is it just me, or would the best time for Kim to launch a Seoul-devastating strike would be while the American commander-in-chief is visiting? And if he doesn’t launch such a strike at such a time, it might be time to consider that the Kim regime will never attack first?

Kim Jong Un doesn’t look like a total fool and must be aware the US president is more of a liability to his own country than to the Supermega Democratic Totally Not Not Cool < insert random form of government > of Korea.

Trump: Crazy talk
DPRK Regime: Crazy talk
Joint Chiefs: Oh yeah? Hold my beer

edit: Their plan does seem to honest: A hard slog through nuclear strikes in a land war in a mountainous Asia against a fortified, military society and eat hundreds of thousands of casualties.

What they’re actually saying is: you can’t disarm NK. You need another solution.

It’s just as well the US doesn’t have a President that can understand and infer a conclusion from the data given and doesn’t have to be told things in simple sentences that take less than 2 minutes.

Yeah, pretty sure this is the message.

Will Trump listen. I mean, I want Trump gone, but not at the price of tens of folks I served with who are there now.