The Opposition Thread

You’ve all clearly forgotten Adam’s Razor.

If a situation can be explained by the American electorate being a bunch of fucking idiots, then that is most likely the case.

http://the-daily.buzz/a/george-takei-has-bombshell-announcement-and-washington-is-reeling

I don’t often think “California would be a cool place to live” but if I could vote for Congressman Sulu? Sign me up!

Who would be put in charge of the nuclear wessels?

I met George Takei once, at DragonCon a few years back. There was a line of folks for his autograph. I wasn’t interested in getting his signature but I wanted to speak with him so I joined the queue. When it was my turn, I mentioned that although I know it wasn’t his favorite role, I loved how he portrayed Captain Nim in the John Wayne film “The Green Berets”. He sort of paused, then looked me in the eye and gave me a most mirthful chuckle and said that was the first time anyone had ever mentioned that role at a convention. Then he shook my hand, we exchanged a few more pleasantries and I went on my way. That was fun.

It’s okay to vote Takei.

Is that for real, or is it April 1?

It’s for real.

My understanding is that it’s the most conservative district in CA. It’s going to be a hard fight.

Yeah, it’s safe to say that he doesn’t have a lot of Twitter followers in that part of the state.

He just confirmed it was a joke.

I couldn’t imagine George Takei living in rural Tulare county.

On the other hand, I would love to see Obama take up residence in a southern state with a 2018 election, and make a go of it, if only to funnel money away from other races.

Nunes is my congressman. His district encompasses part of Eastern Fresno, not just rural Tulare County. And I would doubt it is the most conservative district in the state.

Edit: This is the NY AG. I suspect other state AG’s will be joining.

Cambridge Day: Council seeks impeachment investigation, citing Trump’s ongoing business conflicts

The [Cambridge, MA] City Council has called for an investigation into whether President Donald Trump should be impeached, arguing that he failed to divest himself from his business interests and is using the office of the presidency to enrich himself.

Councillors passed a resolution 7-1-1 Monday asking the U.S. House of Representatives to direct its judiciary committee to investigate Trump on violating the Constitution’s “emoluments” clause against self-enrichment. The original motion was made by vice mayor Marc C. McGovern and councillors Jan Devereux and Leland Cheung.

This fun story “Trump says he has the ‘best words.’ Merriam-Webster disagrees”

It has the dictionary folks trolling the Trump. I have to think having a dictionary on the opposition side is probably a first for the country,

Never before have we had a president who was so widely regarded as a complete joke. and deservedly so.

I suspect this is going to start having major repercussions for international stability. The fact that the US is being run by a complete imbecile is not going to go unnoticed by our enemies. And it’s going to prevent the US from responding well to their actions.

Oddly though, there is a flip side to that argument - while it’s impossible to take Trump seriously, it’s also impossible to underestimate his capacity for sheer vindictiveness. Someone making a move while he is in office runs a real risk of Trump just unloading on them for, oh hell, choose your motivation:

a) cannot abide a slight, however slight
b) teeny tiny penis
c) just because he can

One can imagine a meeting with the joint chiefs of staff: “Mr President, it seems a Canadian fighter jet may have crossed into our airspace for a few sec --”

Trump’s approval rating is rapidly approaching the 20’s.

He simply won’t be able to do something major like unilateral military craziness. If he orders it, we’ll just enter into a crisis state, because people aren’t gonna follow his orders.

Really? You think they’ll just say, No, don’t think so, Mr. President. You’ve got a lot of faith in the folks with their finger on the trigger.