The Orville - Seth MacFarlane takes on Star Trek

So it turns out she’s aged very well! :)

I found it interesting that they returned to the Moclus female storyline. I wonder if that will dominate this half-season, or just be a one off?

Excellent episode, one that could have fit right into a TNG arc. It’s no coincidence that Frakes directed and it was written by Joe Menosky (who wrote the “Darmok” episode of TNG, among others).

I even liked Scott Grimes in this one.

Because he had two lines?

… and neither was poorly executed comic relief ;) No pee corners in this epi!

(I don’t blame the actor at all. I just think the best episodes are those that appear to have the least influence from The Family Guy in the writer’s room).

Kelly Hu popped up again in this episode as well, and F. Murray Abraham was the Chancellor. Plus Ted Danson again.

It’s like MacFarlane has parties on the weekends and says “Hey, who wants to be on my show?! Cool, let’s do this!” =)

It’s pretty awesome how connected he seems to be to the original TNG folks.

MacFarlane has been friends with many of them for years, going back to when he had the whole cast on Family Guy.

Okay, that was pretty great.

Interesting premise for the show tonight.

One thing you notice when some of these actresses are in casual clothes, however, is how terribly thin they are, sheesh. And they say the camera adds 10 pounds.*

As far as that ending though, “ruh roh.” I wonder if that created another timeline or what?

*although I don’t know if that applies now what with digital photography? Or is is lens optics that’s to blame for that?

I felt like Kelly got much skinnier between season1 and 2, and they seem to have given her more “angular” makeup which just accentuates that skinnyness.

I presume there’s millions of timelines, so who cares? :P

Personally I thought they were going all Tom Riker on us there. I think there’s a 1:1 relationship between TNG storylines and Orville ones.

Pretty contrived episode, but the ending won me over. Oh, and once again a little Bortus goes a long way with me.

kelly still looks too much like a pouting supermodel. even more so when there are two of her.

Ugh, what a waste of an episode.
Except for Moclans in the dance club, that was the perfect use of Bortus comedy relief.

Just got around to watching “Sanctuary”. It was pretty good, if a little heavy-handed in the ethical messaging. I suppose that’s necessary to make sure no one misses the point.

I knew ahead of time that Sirtis was in it, but didn’t realize it was only a minor role. Thought she’d have more screen time.

Also a two parter! Just the first episode was last season. :)

And then “Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow”…yawn. I’ve seen/read/played this plot before! Not the worst execution on the idea that I’ve seen, but nothing spectacular. My favorite moment was Ed failing at the video game, narrowly beating out the Moclan dancing.

Sanctuary was definitely a standout episode. I really enjoyed it. I really like that they’ve basically got a cultural conservative on the show who is married to one of the main characters.

They truncated the musical theme* tonight!? What the hell, man?
(I just started watching, obvs.)

*corrected from “theme song” because it’s not a song if no one is singing.

EDIT: Well, this plot is pretty much fantastical nonsense, but it’s pretty at least. :-)

They did last week as well. They’ve shortened the intro drastically, it seems.

It seems like they decided to emulate Star Wars this week instead of Star Trek.

I didn’t like this episode much. After the start of the episode everything was fairly predictable and inevitable. And frankly, kind of boring.

Same reaction to “The Road Not Taken”, with the addition that they pushed past my suspension-of-disbelief boundaries with the black hole thing. It’s easy to hide in black holes and just pop right out again later!

Well, crap. The theme is one of my favorite things about the show. Hope it’s not permanent (assuming they get another season).