The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's Fallout New Vegas in Space

Can I roleplay a janitor?

It looks a bit – hmmm… cartoony? or gamey. I dunno I will buy it first day but I am not super “this is the greatest” –

Now Borderlands 3? I would like that.

Playing Borderlands single player was one of the dullest experiences I have ever had in all of gamedom. I guess it was suppose to played multiplayer or something, which is completely unlike Outer Words. In a way, I think Borderlands has more in common with Fallout 76.

Agree 100%. I feel like other than the color scheme, this shares no DNA with Borderlands which is basically a frenetic shooter that I bounced off instantly.

This game looks SO great. It will be day 1 purchase for me.

It’s definitely the art style of the environs and ads and the whimsy humor that reminds me of Borderlands, not the gameplay.

Was Fallout considered an open world game? The overland travel was abstracted a bit, IIRC. But it was certainly not insta-travel like Mass Effect.

Absolutely Fallout 1 and 2 were open world games, but yeah they did not have a seamless single map, instead it had separate locations connected by overland map.

It was the best solution, and if game wants to portray many locations that are geographically far from each other, it is the only solution really. Unless you procedurally generate everything or some such which is boring anyway.

Sounds like this will be somewhere between open world and the old hub based games like Bloodlines / Deus Ex etc.

I can fully get behind the enthusiasm in this thread. Watched the videos and I’m in!

Tim Cain, creator of Fallout, is a big proponent of RPGs where you can go anywhere at any point with zero restrictions.

I would say Fallout isn’t just an open world game. It is the best kind of open world game. You can go anywhere. You want to go straight to the end game areas from the start. 100% possible. The open world design is as basically as old as Ultima: Hubs with overworld map travel.

99.9% of open world games tend to have plot restrictions. For example one could argue Baldur’s Gate 1 is also open world, but you can’t actually go to Baldur’s Gate until you are near the end of the game become the plot demands it. Even more relevant in Fallout 3, you can’t go to Raven Rock and sneak inside because you have to play through the linear story in order to go there.

I completely agree - Fallout 1 and 2 are still the golden standard of design based around player agency and freedom, pretty much only attempted by Arcanum and New Vegas. Thanks for that link, gonna watch the talk, Tim is pleasant to listen to.

Edit: Hah… “I loved White Wolf, loved working with them, andthentherewasactivision, but White Wolf was fantastic…”

Such a subtle quickshade nobody in the audience picked up on it :)

Gamespot has a nice interview with Cain and Boyarsky.

To me, and open world is the fact that I can explore the realm the way I want to, in whatever order I want to. Open worlds do not have to have a continuous path from point A to point B where you can run or drive to them. What I want to know is if the adventure is set such that I must complete are A to go to Area B, and complete area B to go to area C. Under no circumstance can I got to area C without passing through Area B first.

Do you know, by my definition of open world, if this game is an open world game or not? Is it played on a rail, much like recent tomb-raider games?

What you’re talking about is linear vs non-linear, and if previous Obsidian games are any indication (Alpha protocol, pillars of eternity) this will be non-linear like AP or at worst , have non-linearity within each individual chapter, like Baldur’s Gate (2) or Pillars.

I doubt anyone here can know what you are asking, but my guess from the gameplay clip I saw is it’s more like Mass Effect than Fallout, in that you probably “space warp jump” from planet to planet as the missions take you there, but likely you’ll often have several optional places you can also explore and investigate if you don’t want to immediately follow the central story. Plus, each planet may have several areas within it you can explore in whatever order you want. That’s just my guess though, I also don’t really know.

TBH that all looked very pedestrian to me. I think the world’s moved on. One thing it did have its favour for me was nothing looked procedural. Maybe those planets will be cool places to explore, in the way Andromeda’s weren’t really. It’s a good sign there are only a couple of them.

Nice interview.

I like this bit. It’s a nice counterpoint to doing a voiced protagonist.

Also the costs! Without a voiced PC they can edit, change, overhaul the dialogue whenever they want without dragging in a voice actor to re-do the lines.

In the video I posted, it is also pretty clear Tim Cain is firmly against making video games be like movies.

I’m not a fan of full voice-overs for RPGs. Not the NPCs and definitely not the protagonist. Some voice overs, sure. Give me a feel for what the NPC sounds like. But full voice overs? That will just slow me down. I don’t need or want it.

Iggy Pop, ftw. (use of “ftw”, for the loss.)