The Qt3 Challenge Thread

I’m going to update it right now with my score of 1,772,550.

EDIT: And I even died once. You can find the replay in the leaderboards. :)

Jesus Markel. You are killing us!

This game is an evil destroyer of souls. Every time I finish I feel like I could have done better.

1,599,450, moves me up 3 places.

Last night I was getting more games than not in the 1.5M range, but I’m afraid Ryan and terpis may be out of my reach. One more week to go!

I’ve been in the 1.3~1.4mil range for the last day or so. I seem to lose it every time I have to spend any significant time at 50 speed.

Yeah, it seems like the last minute is the make or break point for me. If you mess up even a bit it really takes a bite out of your score. Sometimes I’ll have a great run going and then get boxed in within the last minute to totally screw me. God I love this game.

I’ve found that bombs are kind of detrimental to high scores in this game.

They slow down the game speed, regularly cause you to destroy ghosts instead of pick them up on your tail (as sleeping ghosts “freeze” for a while after using it) and disrupts the path of the conga line - it no longer follows your exact path, but bee-lines to you as soon as possible.

It messes with the patterns.

1,640,450, still not good enough for second place though.

So I think I’ve peaked with my current paths, and can’t get above my high score even with minimal to no mistakes. I’ve started watching replays of the best scores on Championship II, and I noticed something odd:

It seems like the best players will often purposefully miss ghosts to add to their train in order to take a shorter path. Is that the key to climbing higher? My paths try to maximize the ghosts trailing. Any thoughts?

Yea, I made a similar observation in the Pacman DX thread while discussing the game with Whitta.

It seems like the key is to pick and choose which will net you more points, snatching out of the way ghosts, or plowing on through to the next board reset etc – or it could be that the players are just missing turns.

I don’t think they are mistakes. It is purposeful. When the timer usually ends for me I am just starting at the beginning of the cycle again. It seems as though these guys are taking quicker paths and missing ghosts so that they can increase the amount of full cycles that occur within the 5 minutes. It seems that this is worth more than the few ghosts you miss along the way.

Is this still going ?

I’m up in the 1.5~1.6mil range now, but it’s just never good enough!

Updated the OP - last day to get those scores in!

Any suggestions for the next one?

Trials HD?

Be more specific. :)