The Riftbreaker (TD/ Survival-ARPG/BaseBuilder) 2020

DLC!

Uh, it looks like the DLC is out now…but in early access:

-Tom

Nope. The DLC is not out now. They are experimentally testing some new free features that were to drop with the DLC.

We can quibble about whether it’s “out” until the cows come home, but my point was that you can play it now. To me, that constitutes being “out”, so apologies if that ran afoul of your definition of “out”.

But it’s currently available to all players in the experimental branch:

-Tom

From their page, it sounds like only the free (non-DLC) changes coming alongside the expansion are on the branch, though? So the patch contents can be tested in beta but the DLC contents are still not available. Maybe I’m just misunderstanding their post, it’s worded a little awkwardly.

Only the free patch / features that was to drop along with the DLC is out - the DLC content is not out.

By my definition of “out” the DLC is not out. It clearly differs from yours, but that is fine.

Here’s the Steam page for the DLC, which was supposed to be released today:

Here’s the page for the experimental branch update that was released instead:

Do you see the feature list at the end of this post? Scroll down and you’ll see it. Now read it. Keep going. Keep going. Keep going. There’s still more. More. You at the end yet? Okay, keep reading. Done?

Okay, what am I missing here, other than the “story mission”?

Because it looks to me like all the content in the DLC – minus some “story mission” – is available in early access, or beta, or an in-progress release, or whatever you want to call it. But I’m just going by what they’ve put on their Steam page, so I don’t have any special insight or anything. I just see a company whose DLC wasn’t ready, so they released it as early access. If I’m wrong, I’m happy to be corrected!

-Tom

Well I did try to correct you, but we seem - according to your original message - to be quibbling pointlessly over our respective definitions. So perhaps we should just stop quibbling :-)

Hey, if you can tell me what content from the DLC is missing from the experimental branch update, I’m happy to be corrected! Otherwise, I’ll stick with my current understanding of the situation.

-Tom

So umm, how is the new content???

I’ve recently started playing this again as I do love to turtle.
Game is a serious 10/10 in terms of turtling.

I would like to join the turtle club! Looks fun!

In early access, so I wouldn’t know. :)

Mostly, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen enough after quitting my first playthrough back when it was released. I’ve just been hoping the DLC might change things up enough for a return playthrough. But I’ll wait until, uh, “it has escaped from the experimental branch”. Hopefully that’s a semantically non-committal way to put it?

-Tom

There is so much pleasure in establishing a forward base and then setting up drone deployed minefields all around it. Then waiting for the attack. :D

Yellow dots on the minimap are landmines. :D

How has this changed since release? I played it for a bit, but then got tired of doing the same thing over and over on different maps. Has any of this changed?

I was also annoyed by the constant nagging to build more storage or to kill a nest which respawns every 5 minutes or to checkout a meteor crash, etc…

Its about the same from what I can tell, it is a tower defense game so … repetition is a part of it.

I don’t hear many storage upgrade suggestions, but the nest warnings are still an annoyance.

I am really enjoying the lava areas and having to cool the map.

And yes, my hammer is almost as big as my mech. :P

6-18-2022 10-04-25 AM

Awe yissss, really enjoyed my time with this.

I would super-duper like something like this in co-op. That’s not something the dev is interested in pursuing, I take it?

Not that I am aware of, I think it was always planned as a single player experience.