The Sims 2 thread

When you preorder directly from the bloody company, you’d think they could ship it to arrive within a day or two of street date…

(They sent me a $15 “birthday” coupon. Good marketing scam on their part.)

Street date’s the 17th. :)

Grrrrr …

Edit :

Found the problem. The Sims 2 doesn’t like refresh rates of 100Hz or higher. So I simply set every mode to 85Hz. Now it starts.

I’m working on taking my Qt3 Evil Overlords and putting them in the neighborhood

:)

Man this is a fun game. I never really got into this when the original Sims first came out.

Hmmm…my copy was posted out by play.com yesterday. Not that I’m complaining :D.

Still, I have to wait until it arrives here in Germany. Normally takes only 24-48 hours, but who knows what the post is like here…

Apparently you didn’t read them yourself since my questions were not answered in either one, although the “takes care of most of thier needs without handholding” is about the closest to answering one of my questions. My questions still stand, does anyone care to answer them?

Actually both reviews are fairly indepth, enough for you to infer the answers to your questions. So, did you read them? :)

The Sims 2 forum over at GameFAQs is full of the usual comedy:

What was the guy expecting ? I read about four detailed reviews of The Sims 2 and I knew exactly what features the game had.

RE: Handholding

Less is required now, much less. The sims will pretty much take care of themselves…to a very, very boring stint. They tend to take care of low-level stuff well, i.e. they’ll clean up messes etc. but they will not always take the most efficient, powergamer path.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that the act much more independently now and aren’t the psychotic self-pissing and collapsing machines they once were. But YOU are still required to keep things focused (if that is what you wished).

Like I says before, the Sims 2 is a much better dollhouse simulator than the first game. Much better.

–scharmers

I think it is a good balance. That was one of the reasons I was put off the original game - having to walk your Sims through every possible mundane task. Now you can concentrate on the bigger picture but still have input into a Sims life when necessary.

As a sandbox game it excels. People looking for mission based play might not like it as much.

Plus it is a good excuse for grown men to play with a dolls house. :wink:

“Yes dear I am just experimenting to see what sort of children we will have …”

It really is a lot better than the first one. Like scharmers said, they’ll take care of any of their basic needs on their own when they get low enough. First thing in the morning, my dude makes a beeline for the bathroom before grabbing breakfast. They’ll even bitch at you if you interrupt them from doing their desired task for another. They even seem to have preferences for how they take care of their needs when multiple options exist. For example, my guy likes to LOL A/S/L? rather than gab on the phone, and will not change that for anything. [b]Anything.[/b]

The only real problems i have with the game so far is that the camera control is both cumbersom and untweakable. Rotating it takes way more mousepad space than it should. That, and the complete inability for the Sims to multitask their actions take away from it a bit.

Also, it’s kind of nice when getting around the “CD emulation software detected” protection involves uninstalling CloneCD, then mounting the images in DAEMON Tools. It’s like they’re trying to make our points against copy protection for us now, which is considerate.

I must apologize to EA.

I got a tracking number email from the EA store this morning. So I go to track it… Mailed yesterday, delivered today!

Then I get home and find two boxes. They shipped the bonus CD separately in its own big box – AND apparently charged me an additional $5.99 shipping for that. Wasteful and annoying.

Still, very anxious to check out the game.

Some of the evil things people are doing to their sims are horrible … yet funny.

From the SomethingAwful forums:

“Dead Baby Jokes”

“Saddam”

If only we had known his fear was fire, we could have taken Iraq with nothing more than a bic lighter.

Aspirations really make the game. No longer is the only way to progress climbing the dumb career ladder. Now we have cool milestones for alternate paths like ‘making out with 3 chicks in the same day’. Seriously this makes everything so much more fun. Aging is fun too – don’t just feel like you have as long as you went to get max everything out.

Speaking of bonuses I have had a devil of a time getting my Sims 2 Bonus DVD to play correctly. To watch it I have to manually play each VOB file directly from the DVD.

Is anyone else having this trouble ?

I didn’t play the first one but found this one incredibly frustrating as a “newbie” at it.

I tend not to be a huge micro-manager and as a result, my Sims would starve to death – in their own house - with a full refrigerator. It makes it difficult to get into if you spend so much time building up your Sim only for him to die because he starves to death.

I’d be a lot more happy if there was some dialog saying “One of your Sims has died, would you like to go back 1 day to try again?”

I’d been playing for 5 hours of “Real time” so obviously I had figured out how to feed and bathe and get them jobs and all that. So it’s a little frustrating to have one die over something that silly and just lose all that time.

Maybe I’m missing something.

Hmm. I’m not sure what you are doing, because the hunger motive is the one that the sims consider most important to fulfill. Also, it takes some serious neglect to make your sims starve to death.

Is there any way for the sims to prepare food? Even if there isn’t, they should still be able to eat snacks or an Instant Meal from the fridge.

Did you remember to restock your fridge? You can either travel to the grocery store or just order groceries online.

Maybe you moved stuff around and somehow made the fridge inaccessible? It’s super annoying that a lot of objects aren’t passable.

I can’t see how a sim would ever starve to death unless they couldn’t reach any food. Hell, even drinking from the faucet relieves a bit of hunger.

I’ve actually found that the only days I really have to eat are on days where I don’t work. They usually come home full and you can just ride it out until the next morning.