The Sims 2 thread

Just out of curiosity, what’s on the bonus DVD?

My kitchen was fully stocked. That was what was frustrating because as he starved, my other sim was eating a sandwich. There should be some sort of “Help” in there so I coudl instruct my other Sim to help the starving Sim.

That was what was frustrating because as he starved, my other sim was eating a sandwich.

Fucking LOL!

“Sitting in my kitchen,
Stuffed from having ate,
What should I do now
With what’s left on my plate?
Maybe I should save it,
but naw I got the cash.
Think I’ll take the easy way,
and throw it in the trash!”

[size=7]AREN’T YOU HUNGRY![/size]

Dude, my eleven year old sister could kick your arse at Sims. You should feel relieved there’s no deathmatch, because eleven year old girls are very ungraceful winners.

Brad, it sounds like you need to start by playing a single Sim and then moving up to harder things… like, y’know, having two Sims.

Elf needs food, badly!

Clearly you checked the anorexia box by accident when you made your Sim. Can you still charm the grim reaper out of taking their lives if they die from starvation?

LOL! What sort of Sims did you create. Neither of my Sims are rocket scientists but they have no problem feeding themselves or doing many of lifes other mundain tasks.

My tip - create a Gelatin meal and leave it on the kitchen bench. It won’t spoil and the Sims will have an easy time grabbing a gelatin snack if they get hungry.

Interviews with the devs
Hints & Strategy
Moviemaking guide
Movies
Outtakes
Old Sims adds using real people

It’s a great bonus DVD but my copy seems to have major problems. I am going to rip it using DVDShrink and see if that fixes the broken menus.

This one from “Rei_” cracks me up. (I’m lame)

Meet the Smith family: Agent Smith, Agent Smith, Agent Smith, Agent Smith, Frank, Agent Smith, Agent Smith and Agent Smith.

Made my first family last night, the Satans. I can’t really tell that much of a difference between the two yet other than the depth of actions and how much more it seems fleshed out. Well, that and the graphics.

my Sims would starve to death

I actually ran into a problem with something similar. I certainly wouldn’t use the phrase “Sims would starve” because that implies some ongoing problem that happened repeatedly – that’s not what I experienced.

I had a family of 8 people and waskind of letting them all do their own thing. I took control of one to meet some goals, and ended up getting her to “Platinum Mood”… She stayed like that for a while, so her needs were ignored. She then went to sleep. When she woke up, she wasn’t in platinum mood anymore, and all of her needs (food, bathroom, etc) were at 0. She would start going to eat and be interrupted needing to use the bathroom, then be interrupted wanting to sit down, then eat, then bathroom, then she peed on herself and started mixing “take a shower” into her list of things she wanted to do.

After a short time of this, I noticed what was happening and ordered her to go get some food, but she kept ignoring my commands and deciding a shower was more important, no food, no shower, no nap, no food… Then she died.

I have played this for about … 20 hours so far (and I played the first game quite a bit) and have only run into a problem like this the one time, but it was really frustrating to have her ignore me like that.

Question:

Are Sims always successful the first time when making a baby?

With my first Sim family, the first time I had them make a baby I didn’t get any sign that one was on its way. I assumed then that Maxis went for a realistic approach in that not everyone is successful the first time. I had them do it again and then I heard music that would come from a mobile.

They had two kids. After an hour or two of raising them, I just couldn’t handle it. I then called a nanny and when she got to the house my Sim’s Energy meter would be drained and she’d be asleep while the man was busy at work. I didn’t want to give them up for adoption or anything so I just got rid of the family. I probably should have just left them and made them neighbor Sims for my next family.

Couple #2 that I made had two kids, but I quit without saving so now they’re doing whatever they did before I had them shagged. I just want to go with one child for now, and then go for number two when the first one turns six or becomes a teenager.

P.S. Either it’s just me, or cakes fill Sims’ Hunger meter really fast.

Yeah, I too thought the 11 year old sister comment was pretty funny until I had a sim die. The situation sounds similar. I was cruising along, put on the evil hat from the aspiration rewards, and things went to hell. Because more than one thing was at zero, I couldn’t get him to do a damn thing. He wet himself and fell to the floor. I left my wife a widow. :(

I am enjoying this game quite a bit. I usually hate simulators of any sort, but this one has really stuck on me. My problems with the first were much like others have stated, I didn’t want to tell them to EAT, CLEAN UP, SHOWER, GO OUTSIDE, BLAH blah blah.

One thing that made me laugh was that the Sims seem to have on sexuality whatsoever, and there appears to be no programming guiding selections. In the first day (before the first nightfall) two of my female Sims both decided to start doing their little <3’s flying up to the ceiling thing. I wasn’t even paying attention to either of them the entire time, as they were just sitting on a couch talking.

Rawr! Hubba hubba. etc.

I’m getting this game today (yay). I never really played the first one so it’ll be interesting to try something new. Reading most of the posts here make it sound really fun, also I have this feeling that it’ll be well recieved by my girlfriend (which is fine, she has her own PC ).

I just hope I don’t get that ‘but I don’t want to’ bug.

Well received by your girlfriend might be an understatement. My wife made me buy it.

I honestly bought for my girlfriend, but holy shit this is one great game for at least the first few hours. I can’t really tell if it really has more depth than The Sims 1, but it definitely seems to from what I’ve seen.

And I can’t applaud the improved AI enough. I have yet to see any of these bizarro situations crop up - so far most of my sims have just been sort of hanging out (I do wonder why the school-goers are doing their homework sitting on the floor instead of using a chair, since their comfort levels plummet every time), but they were definitely doing a good job of taking care of all the mundane bullshit themselves.

The one exception is food - the moment some of them get hungry they make a beeline for the refridgerator, when we purposefully had one sim dedicated towards learning how to be a homemaker who should be doing all the cooking. But I understand why the AI says in this case, “I need food NOW, fuck waiting”, so it’s not a big deal - in fact it might be one instance where the game really can’t get rid of all the hand-holding that made the first game so boring for me.

(Well, The Sims 1 got boring after an initial few great hours.)

(I do wonder why the school-goers are doing their homework sitting on the floor instead of using a chair, since their comfort levels plummet every time)

I always did homework on the floor. Fuck desks, chairs, and tables.