The Sinking City - Open-world, Lovecraft, investigations

I love Mandalore’s channel so much!

Yep, the Mystic Tomes DLC side cases were offered to me once I got to the hotel.

Still only on the second case, this game is a bit slow, glad I am finding fast travel points to help with navigation.

Setting is still fantastic:

It’s like Shenmue without people, without colours, but with a backpack!

You jest, but that backpack is like half the reason I haven’t bought the game yet. It just looks so darned goofy that it turns me off every time I see it.

It’s interesting, because I sometimes wondered why we didn’t have backpacks in games, and indeed the game provides an enlightening contribution to this old gaming issue.

If it was one of those frame backpacks that like serious hikers use and such, I think it’d be fine. But it’s a big old saggy ass backpack. The shape is just weird.

What’s really weird is the backpack is just cosmetic. Who knows what useful stuff an investigator to a famously sinking city would pack for his trip? We’ll never know!

Oh there isn’t even an inventory?

There is an inventory, but if you wear one of the other outfits that doesn’t have a backpack, the inventory size doesn’t change.

What a plot twist! Suddenly, Telefrog uncovers that the real culcript is LordKosc, who chose to wear the saggy sack on purpose!

The good news is that nijimeijer’s issue with the game seems solved.

The original title of the game was The Sinking City: The Saggy Sack.

Sounds almost… allegorical, hrrm…

what.

The sad sack with the saggy backpack?
hmm…

Time, and gravity, make fools of us all! Though I must admit that I also don’t like the look of that backpack at all. There’s just something off about it.

There are multiple costumes in the game. You can switch them up as you gain new ones throughout the story.

I think it is also linked to the posture of the character: the way he got his arms dangling on his side, it feels like his shoulders are just lying down.
This is how I can’t help picture that protagonist:

I think the backpack is actually a toggle? You can just wear/not wear it with anything? Might look fun y with the mobster suit I’m wearing in the game right now.

Yeah I keep the backpack on, where else am I storing all this stuff?