The Sinking City - Open-world, Lovecraft, investigations

I don’t know who if either is in the right on this, but I do know that it seems like a bad idea to buy until this is sorted out.

Yeah, agreed. It’s all just kind of bad.

This is a shame - because I’m interested in this game and frankly don’t know what to do purchase wise.

Man, this is getting ugly, uh, uglier.

Yep sucks all around , and more so because the game for me is pretty decent for a AA game.

So wait, have I bought a pirated game on Steam? D:

So wait, both Frogwares and Nacon can publish content to the news page of the game? This is crazy.

Yeah, Frogwares still has access to the page via their developer login. It’s not the first message they’ve posted right on the Steam store about it being a pirated copy. Unfortunately for them, Nacon as the publisher of record, still owns the page, so they can do whatever they want with it.

It’s really the only sensible thing to do. If its done safely, therapeutically, there’s no danger involved.

The devs had gone all mob mentality on some other forum a few years ago with another bad publisher. Sounds to me they are greedy and blame their publishers for being as greedy as them.

In any case, they fucked up big time with their tantrum last year by pulling the game out of all the stores, and now they are unhappy with the court decision telling them they shouldnt have.

Repeated online dirty laundry sure must not serve them well either.

I wonder who ended up with the EGS exclusivity money? Nacon or Frogwares?

Didn’t this dispute stuff start shortly after that back in 2019?

Just hours after the publisher released another statement defending their rights to release the game on Steam, the game’s disappeared from the store front, though it’s unclear who pulled the game.

EDIT: Vice is saying it was pulled by Valve after Frogwares filed a DMCA against their own game.

One of the few appropriate uses of a DMCA takedown, it appears.

If you believe Frogwares’ side of things. Which I think is probably on balance what I believe, but it’s important to remember that this is currently in dispute and I’ve not seen a lot of objective information floating around.

It’s in French and it’s a mess.

Edit: am reading it again, and the first decision - early during the covid crisis - was in their favour somewhat.
But the second, most recent decision puts it all on Frogwares it seems. The court asks them to pay 15000 euros to Nacon for the procedures and is also pretty harsh regarding Frogwares’ use of special covid laws to break a contract that had been broken, in their actions, way before the sanitary crisis occured. Thus it says they broke the contract illegally.

It also states that while the court doesn’t have the legal arm to force Frogwares to deliver game masters, Frogwares shouldn’t make any obstacle for the release of the game from then on on any store fronts.

So do you feel Frogware is ultimately in the wrong then? Or did Nacan setup the issue and Frogware’s wrong makes a right?

Frankly, from the filing, it looks like they were butthurt and should have done something about the whole fuckfest they got into for the last 4 years.
They should probably have started by reading those papers they were signing for money back in their later years with Focus Home Interactive is my guess.

But they went in pretty much way over their head, and should have had legal help before doing so in my opinion.
I’m a pessimist about human nature, and I think both parties are scums anyway, but I’ll refrain from theorising the motives.

This is one of the craziest stories in gaming since Limbo of the Lost.

Apparently you can still redeem keys from resellers on Steam. I got it on sale on EGS a while back before all this drama kicked off but only opted for the base version. On that platform, unless you got the deluxe edition before it was pulled there’s no way to purchase or access the DLC, while the Steam release has all the extra quest stuff. Did anyone check those add-ons out?

The king of Limboooooooooooo

So much drama for such an unremarkable game.

-Tom

I asked around and was pointed to this to enlighten me:

Thank you.