The STALKER Mod Thread

Did you just not use XP before you upgraded to 2 gigs of RAM 4 years ago?

No, apparently I upgraded to 512mb and Windows XP in 2002. I think Bloodlines and Riddick (and Everquest II and City of Heroes) may have ultimately forced me to upgrade in 2004.

P.S. I think NewEgg owes me a free mug or something, I never added up all the money I spent there before now.

Honestly I haven’t even encountered an issue until this game. Witcher runs fine and I put the details high on that too.

Suck it up and turn the detail down or buy upgrades.

… :(

XP officially requires no less than 64MB of RAM to run. Kids today… sheesh…

As for Pogo’s problem, it would help if he provided his hardware specs in somewhat more detail than: “Should, in all respects, make this game kick fucking ass”.

It’s not that good, I don’t expect godlike performance, but when the game is running without chugging, I’m at 1024x768 with 80% textures and 80% shadows, with view distance around 20%, and bringing in 20-30 fps during normal firefights.

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that the game is just shit sometimes. I played for a good 3 hours (through an army assault, through the sewers, and back up to that research facility place) until it started chugging again. I then noticed that a lot of these hiccups would start when there was lightning, so I turned textures and shadows down just a bit and solved that, but THEN I zoned back to Garbage and proceeded to get raped by rebels while staring at a screenshot for 20 seconds. Blah.

He didn’t actually give any information about his specs other then having 2GB of RAM:

It’s irrelevant how good is your cpu or gpu, you need a minimum amount of RAM to run the game without hitches. In Stalker’s case, it’s 1.5Gb of RAM, 2Gb recommended. A good cpu and gpu will improve your average fps, and you can raise the detail and resolution, but before that you need RAM to run the game without using the swap file in the hard disk, so if the game have a certain X size in memory, you need more than X.
And Stalker is a much more complex game than Crysis in some things, like better AI and the Alife system, i suppose you need ram for those things.

Welcome to STALKER.

I’ve seen that before and thought it had to do with the prefetch stuff. There is a help thread on the game here, and I would try doing some more forum and Internet searches on the issue. I think I originally played the game with 1 GB of RAM and was okay with just Float32 and the PagedPoolSize hack to prevent crashing, also maybe -noprefetch.

A bit of advice-- Coffee first, then post.

RPS has a writeup on the recently released Stalker Complete 2009. Anyone tried this mod?

thread res:

I’m replaying the steam version of stalker and looking to grab a few mods. Quatoria linked me to a mod called float 32 is that the same as the stalker complete one? What are some must have mods now and lastly will they work for the steam version?

Float32 is just some shader modifications, Stalker Complete is a graphics overhaul. They are not compatible and you want Stalker Complete.It should work on steam version, though I have not tested it myself (retail owner).

edit - see here

it works on steam.

Weird. Downloading this and trying to run it kills Windows Explorer (Win 7) whenever I try it…has this ever happened to anyone else? I can’t even delete the damn file w/o rebooting my machine and doing it from the command prompt. Bizaare…

It does work fine on Steam. I bought SoC in the sale and installed it last week - with Complete 2009. You just need to make sure you run the game to the main menu, before quitting and then installing the mod. It looks really good, too.

Looks like LURK 1.1 is out at last. Still a few minor bugs but I think I will try it. Never bothered to play this megamod. I don’t remember the feature set, but it looks like a lot of graphics changes, and some economy rebalancing, and AI stuff for stealth gameplay.

This is not a mod for the first time through the game, but veterans will be excited.

Is #11 a young Gunther?

The grass is changed too.

Anyway, here is 1080p gameplay video:

It…looks kinda like disneyland. I guess I will stick with Complete for my future playthrough : )

I played a bit of LURK last night and had a great time. The first mission Wolf gives you went very smoothly, I actually killed most of the bandits with the shitty shotgun they start you with, which I remember couldn’t hit or kill anything the first time I played through SoC. Later I went to the railroad tracks and saw the military fighting other stalkers. They quickly wasted the stalkers and turned their attention onto me with their AK’s. I dove behind a tree and was in the bushes beside it and realized that they could not see me. Stealth! Yay! Four of them grouped together and I tossed a grenade at them. They ran but the blast killed three of them to my surprise. I’m quite pleased that grenades actually kill now. I finished the 4th guy off while hidden in the bushes. The weight limit is going to take some getting used to, especially when I have better guns and they are all tricked out with scopes and such. I usually hoard things in Stalker so I’m going to have to fight the urge to loot too much ammo and bandages.