The STALKER Mod Thread

I played with LURK for a bit. I didn’t mind their taste in lighting so much as not being able to see a damn thing in the morning. They said they would add some options to the mod once everything settles down a bit. With that and a patch or two, I think this will be another good megamod to go through STALKER with (only my third time).

I should have tried Complete while I had a fresh install just to check it out so I can recommend it to newbies with more confidence.

Stealth is way too easy in LURK. It doesn’t even need to be dark for enemies not to see you, just have to be in a little bit of shade. I shoot people and they don’t shoot back. Instead they just slowly approach where I am while I pick them off one by one. At night you don’t even need guns, just walk up to someone and knife them in the face. Unless the have flashlights they won’t attack. I killed the whole military base in Agroprom with a knife. It was cool at first, but it is just too forgiving.

This is pretty much my experience as well. The first patch supposedly tweaks it but I still find it too easy to stay hidden.

First time player in Stalker - trying it out in Steam for fun. Are the “must-have mods” still the same?

The most important must-have mod: the one that makes the pig fucking head bobbing stop.

I know it’s horrible! Does the Stalker Complete mod fix that?

Think it’s about time for me to head back to the zone, I’ve been away too long. Megamod Misery 2.0 is releasing on the 31st which looks like it will be pretty neat. Anyone else planning to check it out?

Yes! I’m super intrigued by this. I broke a decade long gaming hiatus diving into Stalker SoC using the ‘Complete’ mod but could never quite get into Call of Pripyat. I’m sure this mod will change that, especially when I read things like: ‘The Beak’ - a ritual among stalkers which involves drinking a foul-tasting mixture of vodka and pulverized crow’s beak to toughen up their bodies in the Zone. Brrr…

Yes! I’m super intrigued by this. I broke a decade long gaming hiatus diving into Stalker SoC using the ‘Complete’ mod but could never quite get into Call of Pripyat. I’m sure this mod will change that, especially when I read things like: ‘The Beak’ - a ritual among stalkers which involves drinking a foul-tasting mixture of vodka and pulverized crow’s beak to toughen up their bodies in the Zone. Brrr…

Oh, but are you intrigued enough to post three times?? ;)

Misery 2.0 came out today. I’ve played a couple hours as a sniper in The Black Road mode which basically starts you with a knife and nothing else. In my case I started in a house surrounded by zombies in total darkness. Found a small stash inside that gave me a gun and a few bullets, but the zombies were really resilient even with headshots. Ended up waiting out the night in the attic before I made a break for it at dawn. Amazingly I managed to stumble onto Skadovsk after wandering around a bit (You can’t use your PDA in the beginning until you buy an item to power it). I checked out the tons of new items for sale there and did one mission for Beard which resulted in me knifing some dude and running away while his buddies shot at me. Hopefully I can buy or find a better weapon soon.

Before I shove this mod into my backlog/brain: does it keep the same basic storyline and quest structure from the original CoP, and does it add new side quests on top of that? That’s what I really wanted after I played through it the first time.

Oohh, that sounds fun, is CoP as open-worldy as SoC, which I just began playing?

Even more so, I’d say. CoP is made up of three fairly large maps so you won’t be continuously traversing loading zones like in SoC. I’ve loved all the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games but CoP was my favorite because it felt like so much more of an open world to me.

OOhhhhhhh, should I just jump to CoP then?

No, sit down to play SoC and don’t get up until you’re done. If you’re good we can talk about CoP.

Got it!

The mod is pretty buggy in its current state. Had a couple crashes so far and it stutters at times. I used one gun and my arm looked detached while holding it. When you use the flashlight it points straight up. Really liking the difficulty, in vanilla you get good gear easily. Here, I am still saving up for a good gun and armor. Ammo is pretty scarce, I’ve had to buy most of it so far. Other stalkers loot corpses now so sometimes you have to compete over loot too. It looks like all the basic healing items are gone, and the kits I’ve found so far take a few seconds to use while you can’t do anything else while you are using them. There are some shots that are more instantaneous.

Not sure if there are any new side quests, ever quest I’ve seen and done so far is from vanilla CoP.

Some strange news concerning Lost Alpha. It’s no longer going to see a retail release thanks to an internal leak of a beta build. It will be releasing as a mod on the 26th of April, in an "early access’ kind of state.

Some testers have decided to ruin years of our hard work and have leaked an unfinished render-test build of Lost Alpha to the public. The beta dates back to November 5, 2013. This leaked version is not finished and not prepared to be released by any means. It contains render bugs that we’ve been working on since last year among the other ones that prevent smooth gameplay.

It is stolen copyrighted material and it is illegal to download it.

Modders are forbidden to use any of its contents until official release.
Links to the leaked files won’t be tolerated here nor the discussions about it. Any support for the leaked version won’t be given either.

This unfortunate event crosses out any chances to release LA as an official addon to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. LA will be released as an addon for free.

In this situation we’ve decided to release the official version of Lost Alpha on 26th of April 2014.

On Chernobyl disaster 28th anniversary you will get the most recent version of LA. It won’t be completely finished as we wanted it to be but at least stable and finishing the game would be possible. This can be called “early access”, which means patches, updates will be added in the future. If you feel like supporting us, you can donate on our main webpage, just click on the paypal button in the upper right corner of the screen. All donations will be used for our upcoming project, which we will announce later this year.

At least Lost Alpha looks awesome. I watched a playthrough of the leaked beta, and it looks like a complete reimagining of Shadow of Chernobyl. It looks good enough to be a standalone game.

I don’t understand how this could be paid in any way, let alone “early access” for money. What is it exactly, a mod?