The Strain

The Master drips vampire juice out of his special talons.

They are starting to diverge from the book in a number of storylines. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be making the show any better. The fact that the hacker chick returned was a big letdown. Oh well, at least there’s only one more episode to this season, so hopefully there will be some excitement before the big break.

Well they can’t kill her off screen fingers crossed.

Hey, was it just me or was the vamp who killed Nora’s mom the goth rockstar vamp? Looked like him.

Also, interesting that we got a re-appearance of the daywalker vamps (at night).

I just want it to end with Jewish Vampyre Hunter on a massive carnage pile of heaped corpses, hacker chick nude and clinging to his leg, the master Nosferatu reeling from the sword stroke by the old man, holding the ruins of his face, Eichorst gutted by Rat Catcher and being incinerated over a fire while still alive, and Eph impaled on a stake in the background, with the vultures swirling. You know - a Frazetta ending.

It was definitely him.

Yes, that was Goth Rocker Vampire who killed the annoying dementia lady. That makes him my third favorite vampire, after Herr Nazi Vampire and Unnamed Crossbow Vigilante.

I think I want Hacker Chick to die more than F, but it’s fairly clear that neither one will any time soon.

You guys were right and I was wrong. Eldritch Horror Palmer was not infected by the Master in their meeting. I was sure that was the deal, that he’d get turned right away when the Master showed up, and then be a loyal minion. Since the Master has mental dominance over his spawn, it’s not clear why he’s putting it off. The preview made it clear that Eldritch is still not turned. Rejuvenated by the vampire goo, but not actually infected.

I’m not too clear on how that works. The Master clearly opened a vein and dripped his white goo circulatory fluid into Eldritch’s mouth. Why that’s enough for rejuvenation isn’t clear, but the rules seem to be “whatever’s convenient for the plot right now.”

The TV pre-emption makes it even clearer that the situation in New York makes no sense. If it’s total chaos, that would be not just headline news, it would be getting 24 hour coverage. Hell, even if NY were in a information blackout, that would be a TV sensation.

I can’t see Van Helsing preserving his wife’s vampire heart as anything but deeply perverse. “I love you, therefore I cut the heart out of your corpse to remember you” doesn’t work for me.

That The Master set that elaborate trap puts him even further into Evil Overlord territory. You know what I’d do if I were a centuries old vampire muppet? I’d kill him. No farting around, tormenting my enemies by turning their loved ones. I kill them at the first opportunity. Headgames are what get these “I am INVINCIBLE” types killed every time.

So how many days have passed since hacker chick broke the internet? How did the books deal with this? Was there mass chaos, 24 hour news coverage, etc.?

Master’s got a God complex. He made Nazi dude beg, only when he lost all hope did he turn him. I suppose that’s what we’re supposed to read into it.

Gus is being recruited? I guess since it’s the apocalypse the crossbow squad wants more bodies.

It was rocker dude! With the missing penis:-)

I’m not… oh, you mean Hispanic Thug. They definitely wanted him, though they didn’t say why. My guess is that they somehow learned that Hispanic Thug drove the coffin out of Manhattan, and want to know where he left it.

Hispanic Thug definitely doesn’t know when to quit when he’s ahead. Each time he escalated, I was saying “dude, take what you’ve got and RUN.” Though it did turn out to be interesting that there are further plans afoot to spread the vampire zombie apocalypse elsewhere. Overseas, I’m guessing, why else the container? I know they use those for trains as well, but seems likely they were to be packed on a ship.

Just got around to this (DVR backlog), and I only have one new point to bring up. I thought the sun setting on Setrakian while he was down in the well was absurd. He’d never start an expedition into a large, unknown complex that late in the day. No competent vampire hunter would, and he’s always been portrayed as such with the exception of his one emotional outburst during the previous episode. Emotion didn’t play a role in his decision to descend–at least, we weren’t shown one–and it was hard to buy as a result. That story had to end with his wife’s death, but there were more satisfying ways to accomplish that goal. Hmm. That’s not a bad summary for the whole season’s writing.

Clearly Marlo would have been a better acquisition for the vampire squad. I didn’t mind their first appearance, and am glad they picked up the thread again, but they seem pretty goofy right now.

It’s not like it was one-hundred percent clear. And the fact that Eldritch Arcane Palmer got something like 5 minutes of screen time across 4 episodes doesn’t help things.

I can’t see Van Helsing preserving his wife’s vampire heart as anything but deeply perverse. “I love you, therefore I cut the heart out of your corpse to remember you” doesn’t work for me.

I was convinced, at first, that the heart represented some sort of terrible black magic Setrakian was using. That’s why he’s a bad ass with a cane sword even though he’s 87 and has a horrible heart problem. That it was just a keepsake was. . . I mean that just makes no sense on any level. Let me keep my wife’s enlarged, vampire parasite infected heart, because hugs.

WAT.

That The Master set that elaborate trap puts him even further into Evil Overlord territory. You know what I’d do if I were a centuries old vampire muppet? I’d kill him. No farting around, tormenting my enemies by turning their loved ones. I kill them at the first opportunity. Headgames are what get these “I am INVINCIBLE” types killed every time.

Or maybe you’d send a huge force to take out the basement lair 3 nights ago? Hell, during the eclipse.

5? 7? Can’t be much more than that. Did they cut up the corpse in the basement on night two or three? I think three?

Enough for this to be the story of the century everywhere else on the planet.

Why not? You put Smedstad on Vampire Rainbow Six and he’d be running the entire world within 3 hours. His alternate-reality intellect and computer know how would basically make him one thousand times as smart as anyone in the movie universe. You’d recruit him too!

I sorta got the sense that the master liked people who had abandoned all else too. Also, didn’t the soon to be a walking corpse I’m sure gangster guy say that the unexpected arrival at the trailer was a “regular delivery”? I’m guessing those cargo contains weren’t the first that were shipped out (and that’s actually a pretty nice way to reveal that, if I heard it right). Given what we’ve seen in the show we can basically assume that customs everywhere on the planet is run by buffoons (indeed, I bet when Setrakian moved stateside he purchased his wife’s heart a ticket on the plane and had the jar right there in the seat). So each one of those cargo containers, alone, will infect like 3 countries worth of people. Brilliant plan for The Count.

And I was thinking the writers couldn’t sink any lower. . . . I will say, they really do love to spread the stupid around.

Jewish Van Helsing: 1) dumb well thing, as mentioned above; 2) apparently doesn’t lock up anything around the pawn shop.

Gus: decides to get super-greedy at the dumbest time.

Eph: could he make a more useless speech with the seconds that he had, despite all that planning?

It is also worth noting that there wasn’t a lot of competition for good syfy/horror series the last several month. Falling Skies, The Last Ship, Under the Dome, Extant. I am sure I’m missing some that I’ve blocked from my memories. But by comparison the Strain looks like Breaking Bad meets the Wire.

I’m not sure faux Peter Murphy vampire is going to be all that effective. His priorities seem to be a bit mixed up. For one thing, he insists on keeping a wig on his head. That’s REALLY going to cut down his chances of actually catching victims as he runs after them while using one hand to hold down the hair piece.

The other is that he has eschewed the traditional hoodie that the Master passed out to all his minions in an off screen scene. Instead, he’s dressing like Stevie Nicks. That’s not going to work well in the early days of Vampalooza as the key to survival during those crucial weeks is anonymity.

Granted, after the conversion is complete he can dress like Richie Rich for all anyone cares. Of course, at that point, they’ll have consumed their entire stock of food and just die off anyway.

Yup, I think it’s safe to say that these vamps are the intellectual equivalent of Count Chockula.

The “power” (whatever that is) in the Master’s blood is in the book, so if you think it’s being pulled out of someone’s ass, it’s the book authors’ not the TV writers’ ass (ew). I don’t believe they explain it any better in the book. They describe how it feels (as I recall, somewhat like licking a battery - you get incredibly energized), but they don’t explain why.

I vaguely recall that in the book he goes down the well thinking he will be able to destroy the Master - and in the well he either gets bonked on the head or trapped or something - and now that I think about it, he gets distracted by something (a big ambush, or something that makes him feel like he’s going to succeed), realizes it’s gotten rather late, runs back to the well, and finds they’ve collapsed it. So he has to dig himself out of the rubble, which explains why it takes him so long to get back to the surface. I don’t know why they didn’t do something like that here.

I’m hoping that sometime soon (maybe early in season 2) Eph will come out of the bathroom bald and they will have a conversation about how the stress of vampire hunting has caused all his hair to fall out. Because I can’t keep my eyes off his head, it’s so goofy looking!

That would have been a big improvement over what we actually got.

I’ve never done any rock climbing. Would it be possible to climb out a sheer well without spikes or something? Maybe if the well was narrow enough, and you could push your back against it.

The funniest thing about the well climbing is how he’s shown HOLDING HIS SWORD in his hand. He did this with 2 feet and 1 hand. He’s super buff. :p