The Surge: sci-fi Lords of the Fallen

I’m wearing the lightest armor. I’m doing fine now. I think the energy damage scaling on the boss 4 weapon makes it just as strong.

I might be severely underleveled. I’m power level 60 in the final area. That power level is nowhere near all those overcharge points scattered around the map. I squinted my eyes at some spoilers and it sounds like the contents of those are quickly surpassed in NG+ anyway?

That’s part of your problem.

If you want to stagger enemies with non single rigged weapons, you need to use armor that boosts your impact.

That’s what makes weapons like staves viable.

Yeah I should’ve used heavy armor for the first playthrough and light armor for the dual rigged boss weapon if I ever do NG+. Oh well, no big deal.

I do stagger some with the axe but it’s finicky. The combat is super finicky and hard to read when you’re in close. Works okay at standoff distance. In general I’m not a huge fan of it. Too much like Lords of the Fallen with its laborious animations, though they look much less robotic so that’s an improvement.

That’s super lame that the final boss special weapon is twin-rigged but has a sword moveset for the most part. I wanted to use some cool-looking claws. That kills any tiny chance I would’ve had at playing NG+.

Anyway, good sophomore effort from these guys. The combat still lacks a certain pop to it but at least the enemies look less robotic than in Lords of the Fallen.

So at half off during the current sale, is this a must buy?

How was the game overall for those who finished?

No. I didn’t really like it much. But then didn’t like LotF much either. Nioh was so much better. :)
(didn’t finish, got 4 hours before boredom set in. Only 3 people on my friends list played it, for similar times it seems)

There is a demo so you can at least get a taste.

Really damn good. But I’m a huge Souls fan and I also loved Lords of the Fallen. I think The Surge got pretty positive impressions among the people who like Souls games though.

Solid, but certainly not a must buy.

The Surge 2 announced for 2019. Focus Home and Deck 13 again.

Nothing much to the announcement, except they will go to a new “sprawling, devastated city” environment.

The Surge is on sale at Steam for 15.99 until Friday. I think this is the lowest I’ve seen it, and since at least 6 of you on my friend’s list have this wishlisted, I figured I’d make sure all were aware. Seems like it’s a hit or miss game but might be worth giving a shot for that price.

It’s also on this week’s sales on Xbox. $12.50 for the base game. $10.04 for the “Walk in the Park” DLC. Or $23+ for the complete edition which also includes some kind of weapons pack or something.

It also has a demo people can try. I played the demo and it seemed pretty good. I bought it last sale but haven’t started it yet.

15% off the DLC on Steam. Pfft.

I finally got this and started playing. My first impression was pretty good. I liked the first environment with a mix of colorful outdoor and indoor areas. The first boss took several tries to kill it.

I’m not loving the next main area. The combat feels more clunky than I remember Lords of the Fallen being, which I liked and finished. I can’t shake the feeling that I’d rather replay that more than continue with The Surge.

Well that was unexpected.

Ok, that was awesome. Some really noticeable improvements there.

500k copies sold.

I guess that’s enough to do a sequel. Surprising.

This is Focus, not some fancy AAA publisher. Their whole strategy is to do medium-budget games (like, at a 10% or 20% budget compared to AAA).