The Surge: sci-fi Lords of the Fallen

So…

https://twitter.com/Cromwelp/status/885415195958489089

I’ll ask him if “retains your progress” means what I think it means. ;)

EDIT: and he just confirmed it’s exactly what it means, so yes, you’ll be able to continue your progress to the full game.

Sounds great! Looking forward to it.

Bayonetta 2 this weekend, The Surge demo next week, and Nioh DLC at the end of the month. Woo!

Out now?

Yep - downloading.

This seems pretty cool. Like most beat 'em ups, it feels better to play than it looks in videos. The enemy swinging attack animations still look weird though.

I’ll finish the rest of the demo tomorrow. I’ll be sure to pick this up on sale. I’m surprised they didn’t coordinate the demo release with a small sale.

Wait, what? Where?

-Tom

On the WiiU! That was my todo list. Just finished it. Not as good as the original.

Well, not bad. It’s two and a half hours of content. The demo ends as the first boss is powering up.

I’ve learned that the swinging animations are part of the combat system. Vertical strikes used to be unblockable I think. Now they just do a ton of stamina damage. You’re supposed to sidestep them. Horizontal strikes can be ducked for a counter, but usually it’s easier to just block and then attack. Unlike Souls, the game has built in combos depending on the sequence of buttons you press. The one-handed hori-vert-vert combo (X, Y, Y) gives you a final hit with a jumping vertical strike that does a lot of damage.

It seems like a solid game. No rush to buy it though.

Hey, 33% off at Steam. I guess I’ll grab it. I don’t expect it to be more than 50% off at Thanksgiving. I’ll play it soon.

@Bateau do you have any weapon recommendations for this game? I’m looking for something fun, especially if there’s a unique twist compared to normal Souls type weapons.

I tried them all for a few minutes in the demo. Nothing jumped out at me. I’m already at the first boss so I don’t know if it’s too late to level up another weapon.

Honestly, I found that it’s pretty easy to level up everything… There’s not really the shortage of weapons upgrade materials you have in souls games.

One thing that I didn’t realize, is that you can just upgrade directly to higher tier weapons, skipping lower tiers.

This is useful later on, because you can ONLY upgrade to the lower tiers using low tier materials, which don’d drop from higher level guys.

At one point, I had resorted to farming low level mobs to get those upgrades, before I realized you could just skip that tier and upgrade directly to whatever tier you were getting mats for.

The weapons i liked most were the staves and the big ass blade arm you got from the first boss… most of the single-mounted or whatever they were called (the ones which mounted on your frame, but only used one hand, like the robot arm blade) were generally my go-to weapon.

A big part of things that I didn’t initially get, was how much synergy exists with the type of armor you are running. Staves, for instance, become better if you’re running armor that boosts your impact, since it makes them stagger enemies where they won’t normally if you’re running light armor like the Lynx set. Same with the dual claw weapons.

All that being said though, I found that this game didn’t have quite the same degree of variety in weapons as a souls game.

Greatswords. The one that you get from the first boss by not taking any damage is pretty good and will last you a while. Some greataxes are also pretty good mid-game weapons.

I forgot what I used in the end though, but I think it was Peacemaker. The best thing about great weapons is that you can ‘swing’ them relatively fast with a running 1h jump attack which allows you to deal massive damage and oneshot many of the lesser mooks. And when shit gets real these bad boys dish out massive damage if you can get the combos going.

I don’t remember any ‘special’ weapons though, in the sense that they’d work like MGS from DS, or fire whip from DS3, etc.

edit: Lol, ok. I need a lesson in reading. Disregard everything I’ve written above unless you’re interested in playing Lords of the Fallen.

As for the Surge - once again, heavy weapons. Dash attack is simply too overpowered and it works extremely well with heavy weapons because you basically bypass the slow swing animation (they learned nothing from LOTF, lol). Fourth boss drops a special version of his axe and that thing hits like a truck. If you want to get OP faster then get the special weapon from the first boss (heavy rig weapon type) and just use that until the end, I don’t think there’s anything better available in NG. Last boss drops some good medium speed dual claws but you can’t use those until NG+.

Yeah I’m not sure if I want to get OP right away but I’m short on time, so why not? I’ll save those claws for NG+ if I ever get there.

Normally I’m fine with a basic longsword moveset the first time through one of these games, but I wanted to ask what’s fun in case I don’t play it twice.

Onehanders might be viable after the patch, I think they boosted stagger chance on lighter weapons. And if you use one of the heavy armors that come with stagger bonus then it’s even better. There are quite a few good onehanders available but I’m not gonna lie, using the spinning combo with a heavy axe trumps everything.

Is that heavy axe the same weapon type as the first boss weapon?

No, axe is a heavy weapon, first boss weapon is a single rig.

Hey, this is fun! I just made it to area 3. Combat still isn’t that compelling, but I’m really eager to explore and finish the game. I’m even putting Nioh DLC 2 aside for this.

Hmm, this boss 4 weapon (v2.0) has pretty low damage compared to the over-powered boss 1 weapon, and the running attack is pretty slow. Are you sure it’s that great @Bateau? I’m trying spin-to-win but of course all the stupid security enemies just poise through it without staggering.

It looks badass and I’m bored to tears of the boss 1 weapon so I’m going to use it anyway.

They’re about the same in power. If you haven’t used anything besides the single rig for your entire run then your scaling with heavy weapons is probably pretty low.

what armor are you wearing?