The Team Fortress 2 Unofficial Official Thread

I do this all the time, which leads me to something that drives me even crazier: watching 6 teammates all try to push each other off a level 1 entrance because they all want to go first. Hey, if one of you dumbasses would switch to engy to upgrade the tele instead of fighting each other, we could all get through the teleporter that much faster.

I always try to explain to engies that the teleporter is by a wide margin the most important building you can build. It’s basically a mobile sentry generator. Who doesn’t want one of those?

Someone at Valve must like me, because in the last day or two, I’ve gotten the Mantreads, Warrior’s Spirit, and Postal Pummeler, all of which I didn’t have, and there’s not much in that category for me. I’ve also gotten a Liberty Launcher, Market Gardener and Natascha, all of which I suspect I can trade for something.

But the best drop of all was a Solemn Vow, which I had no plans of ever using 8 Jarate to craft and assumed I’d never get it. I think I’m down to something like 12 items I don’t have now.

Edit: And a Persian Pursuader. Dammmmn.

Personally one of my big pet Peeves is when engies build sentries at spawn: unless there are other engies building where the other team is pushing it usually ends up with the team rolling through the first control point or payload point and then we’re stuck defending for like 10 minutes or more

It really depends on the situation. Let’s say you’re defending the first point of Gold Rush and you get killed along with your sentry, but your teleporter is still active. Do you:

(a) teleport back and start rebuilding your gun over the point
(b) safely build a sentry outside your spawn and take it through the tele
© concede the point and start building around the second point
(d) switch classes and play something else

Depending on how far Blue has advanced, the proper action will always be different.

But yeah, too many engineers concede points too early. It drives me crazy when Red engineers start out Badwater by building on the roof overlooking the second point instead of the first one. You can’t just give up ground like that, because suddenly you allow 7 or 8 players to push the cart as a rolling mass of destruction, and once you give the other team that kind of momentum, it’s hard to stop.

After all the time I spent in Badwater I have to say amen to that.

Whenever I played Engineer, I guess I had to learn to not get attached too my sentry and realise that yes, it will be destroyed.

i hate those so much. i mentioned this but usually as scout on the first round i use my cola to run through the red lines to attack their undefended spawn tele. so when i there i am totally unprepared for a spawn sentry. i just look at my death screen in disbelief. a rare instance where dumbassery counters a valid tactic for the other side.

One of the best things you can do as an engie is stay and upgrade the other teleporters at spawn before you head off. Set up your own dispenser as well to make it quicker and so you have a level 3 dispenser to get your sentry up quicker.

Not protecting the engie (spy checking/airblasting stickies) is one of my biggest annoyances in TF2. As stated before it’s usually the sign of a bad team.

edit: saw someone else mentioned upgrading teles before, those sorts of people are my favourite.

I received the Jarate. Again. It’s frustrating if only because the Solemn View is unattainable at the rate I receive drops. I guess I just need to give up and play more. I refuse to idle.

Of course, so much of that sort of thing (upgrading teles) is dependent on knowing that your fellow engineers will actually build the exit, as well as build their sentries such that the teleporter gets used, which is where the Team in Team Fortress 2 comes back in.

Honestly, stupid teammate rage aside, I think that the randomness of public games is actually still a large part of the appeal for me. If everybody was serious business all the time, I’d probably get killed immediately over and over, since I’m not great at the optimal strategies for each level. I think that on the balance, a consistently mediocre player population is probably better for the game. It’s like poker, you start trying to play against the people instead of the deck. It’s a different experience, but probably easier for the infrequent player to get into.

If that’s true, I wonder if achievements and hat-jackassery actually prolongs the life of the game by getting experienced people to act sub-optimally so that less experienced people have a chance.

Just hop on to a trade server, announce that you’ll give 4-6 weapons for the Solemn Vow and there’ll probably be people fighting to give you the bust.

Speaking of which, I hope they put this in soon.

Is anyone here willing to trade? I want the Big Earner and Liberty Launcher not another Force-of-Nature dammit!

Honestly, I’m shocked we haven’t already had a separate trading thread here.

I have the following items available for trade:

Ali Baba’s Booties
Axtinguiser
Family Business
Cloak and Dagger
The Concheror
Dead Ringer
Force o Nature x2
The Jag
L’Etranger
Liberty Launcher
Market Gardener
Natasha
Razorback
Scottish Resistance
Southern Hospitality

And I’m lacking the following items:

Bazaar Basher
Boston Basher
Crusader’s Crossbow
Enforcer
Mad Milk
Overdose
Righteous Bison
Shahanshah
Soda Popper
Splendid Screen
Sydney Sleeper

I’d also take scrap metal if there’s something I have that you’d like. And I have like 30 crates I don’t think I’ll ever open if anyone’s looking for a certain series.

Sluggo, wanna trade Ali Baba’s Booties for the Splendid Screen?

Also, anyone interested, check my stuff at http://www.tf2items.com/id/DarthMasta, I’d be open to trade anything I have more than one of…

Darth: Could I get your Loch-n-load and/or Back Scratcher? And maybe the Splendid Screen if Sluggo doesn’t want it.

My backpack: http://www.tf2items.com/id/roburky

Ok. I’ll wait to see if Sluggo want to trade, since I’ve been playing a lot of Medieval mode, and the boots come in handy when there can be only one, aye! :D

Amputator and Sidney Sleeper?

Sluggo, I can give you a Boston Basher for your Liberty Launcher.

roBurky, I can give you Darwin’s Danger Shield for one of those Big Earners. That looks about the only item I have that you don’t.

Is this some kind of meta thing where you’re trying to demonstrate what it’s like to be in a match when everybody is talking about trading items instead of playing?

If you ever see me on line playing TF2 - let me know you are from QT3 and I will give (not trade) you some stuff. http://www.tf2items.com/id/chetfaliszek

Do you deny that trading is a part of “modern” TF2, much like trading for cards might be a part of a CCG?

Sure, it’s not shooting people, but it’s part of the experience, man!