The there-less Journey

"So how did you end up wasting your life being a glorified extra and trashing other peoples' quality work on the internet?"

lol, you pretty much just summed up his entire career. Never achieving any legitimate notoriety and spending his time shitting upon the work of people infinitely more talented than himself. Tom Chick is truly an abysmal human being and a total hack.

Sorry, but this review does no justice to the game; Mr. Chick gave minimal attempt to try and understand what Genova Chen and his team were doing in Journey, and covered the content of the game as glibly as possible.

No, you shouldn't give a game a high score just because everyone else did, and no you shouldn't just regurgitate what the critic bigwigs said again - but the game deserves a fairer chance. I can't even believe you played through the game (which is kind of surprising since it's 15 bucks and 3 hours of your time), because you made statements like the game is "monochromatic" and "exotic (i.e. Middle Eastern)" when the second two thirds of the game take place in very different environments than the sandy introduction.

I love when reviewers decide to go against the grain, but only if their issues with the piece are valid and honest. I don't believe this review fits that criterion.

The review is undeniably absurd. a 4/10 is a bad game, not matter what scale you are claiming to go by. Journey is, in no way, a bad game. even if it isnt his tastes, a reviewer with a shred of sense would be able to recognize that and try to take a somewhat objective perspective.

its basically like if I decided to review a bunch of sports games (a genre I dont care fore) and gave them all 2s and 3s because i find them boring. I wouldnt do that because, unlike Tom, I have a grasp of rudimentary journalistic integrity.

funny how you call games like Journey "overhyped" or "undelivered" when they have received universal acclaim. except, of course, from your lord and savior, Tom Chick.

I guess, like Tom, you cant stand the fact that people are enjoying fun, innovative, well made, critically acclaimed games while mediocre games like "the darkness 2" are quickly forgotten.

Ludicrous assertion. It is a review, therefore subjective. Reading Tom's review, it is pretty clear how the game didn't work for him. Which means he should give it a negative review. "I didn't like it but *objectively* this is a good game" is a stupid statement.

You are not supposed to review if YUO like the game, but if it's a good game or not. If you can't see what a good game is, depite it not appealing to you personally, stick to playing and reviwing battlefield.

Tom "Chick"... Your last name says it all

This is impossible. When you grow up, you'll learn that.

because obviously if a game isnt your style of genre, that makes it a terrible game and that justifies a 2/5. So, I guess I should just go around giving all 2D fighting games like mortal kombat and street fighter 3/10 scores, because I find their play style too restrictive. Im sure everyone will take my reviews seriously then. That is TOTALLY the mind-set that a reviewer should have. if a game isnt my style, than its shit.

there is are reason why the rest of the reviewing world doesn't review games like Tom Chick. its because his reasoning is infantile and his scores are absurd.

you can make up any half baked excuses you want, but at the end of the day youre just a blubbering sycophant to an irrelevant, unaccredited, pretentious, moronic reviewer.

of course. every other reviewing site in existence is biased in favor of sony. the only honest reviewer in the world is this random dude on a blog, who has a reputation of giving games extreme nonsensical reviews. sounds legit

just keep "drinking the kool aid," man

This game has a mainly a positive reception. I have a feeling that some people have a certain expectation of what every video game should be, what it should include and how difficult it should be, sort of like a minimum threshold.
I.e "This game should be W in difficulty , have X amount of puzzles, be Y in length, and the game play mechanics should allow you to do Z amount of stuff." - You could say that's the minimum we can expect from a game to make it a pleasurable experience. If you take all those expectations and throw them out the window, you may just have a more pleasant gaming experience.

My problem with this review is that whilst it covers the basics of the game, Tom C. doesn't cover his emotional experience of the game which is probably the selling point. Nonetheless decent review, if a little biased considering the same reviewer gave Black ops an 8. And has consistently given most Ps3 exclusives somewhere around less than 6. Shame, I thought gaming journalists weren't biased.

I wish you guys would get over this misguided belief that a reviewer's reception of games on a specific platform is somehow tantamount to his or her opinion of that platform as a whole. To put it another way, what affect does Tom's opinion of other PS3 games have on whether he's qualified to review Journey? Maybe he hasn't liked other PS3 games as much as you'd like him to because he doesn't think they're as good as you do. What's wrong with that?

Did this...really happen? If so, I'm incredibly jealous.

Great Game.

It's not a Game about kicking somones ass or drive a crazy race.

It's you to discover a new world

Excellent review. Glad someone finally bitch slapped this game. Talk about boring and pointless. Instead of watching the grass grow, you end up watching the sand flow. Same difference, uber MEH.

And yet, this is exactly the kind of game that typical Sony fanboys love. Simple (matches their simple minds), and easy to play. Because Sony fanboys obviously aren't buying their own games (i.e. Resistance 3, etc) in any great numbers. So give them something cheap and easy to play. No way they can lose and it dishes out Trophies like candy.

With this game, you are essentially paying $15 for 15 trophies. Nothing more.

@37bc4d384a8d19c3ae4e8bf3c8aeec4e:disqus

Hey, go buy some PS3 games and quit being such a fanboy in the comments sections of blogs. You cannot comment away the fact that Sony exclusives just don't sell.

Gears of War 3 outsold all of Sony's PS3 exclusives combined in 2011.

You don't even support your own console economy.

Or we can wait for their follow up game next year called "Waves". It is a game where you float around in the ocean on little waves, without purpose.

Your actions have no consequence (kind of like in ME3!) and in the end, you get another 15 Trophies.

What drew me in, and nearly made me cry, was the obvious emotional distance between the two creatures patrolling for you. They were not on speaking terms, just ignoring each other. Was it a domineering mother, or a milk-drinking father that set them down this path? Would the joy of smashing my character into the sand allow them to set aside their differences and come to terms with their roles in the world of Journey.

The quandry often kept me awake at night. It wasn't until my 43rd playthrough that I realized that it's just a game. A game with no Prestiging, no Perks and no red-dot sight on my scarf.

I then found peace with the game.

I like how both the posts of the fans of the game and the people defending the reviewer are equally retarded.

The thing is, this whole drama is pointless since you are not going to change the opinion of a person on a specific game by hating on his review.