The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - the most Nick Cage movie ever!

I have no idea but is it really worth risking a primordial rip in the fabric that holds our reality together? My head spins just thinking about it. Bad acting Nic Cage playing himself but with good acting? Where does the acting begin? where does it end? Can we afford to find out? How can we not? I’ll be in my bunk…weeping…with joy.

I was thinking this might be like “Being John Malkovich”, if John had crawled inside his own head, but further research lead me to realize that John Malkovich (the actor) and John Malkovich (the character in the movie Being John Malkovich) are different people.

Those two people have different middle names. NOT the same person, but they have a striking similarity, and I can see why someone would confuse the two.

I wonder if that’s because of some weird SAG rule about playing yourself.

It certainly drove Abed mad.

You can’t just post a screengrab when the whole clip is readily available:

Nick Cage to me is an actor that had two really good roles, Raising Arizona and Leaving Las Vegas. The first I can easily credit to the Coen Brothers, they are actual geniuses with more near-perfect movies than mediocre to their credit which is a ratio that I can’t really ascribe to any other director(s) outside of indies. He could have been replaced by many other actors. Leaving Las Vegas, I’m just dumber about because the story was incredibly powerful and I don’t know how much Cage brought to it vs. the author, writers, and director. I remember Elizabeth Shue quite a bit more, scene by scene, than Cage. Everything else was more or less crap, just glistening crap.

I disagree, I think he has wide swings across a high volume of work but in the good column I’d put Pig, Birdy, Adaptation, Wild at Heart, Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas and then even stuff like Valley Girl, Kick-Ass and Face/Off.

Fight! Just kidding, but Pig I will say was a surprisingly good turn for him. I couldn’t get into Birdy and Adaptation but I understand they are well respected. Wild at Heart I would argue is more Raising Arizona, he happened into a great, wacky movie rather than being the linchpin of a great, wacky movie. Valley Girl I can barely remember, Kick-Ass he was wooden and had a “bees” moment that was not fun to watch, and Face/Off is the worst action movie of the last forty years. I say this all with a friendly wink and smile.

I mean, nobody has brought up Moonstruck yet . . .

Sorry, I tried to post an animated GIF! Are they not supported by Discourse?

After 12 years, Nicolas Cage is finally debt free!

What followed his father’s death and his financial ruin was a decade-long odyssey to do as many movies as possible for as much money as possible to pay his debts. Movies which sometimes had summaries that began, “John Milton escapes from hell and steals Satan’s gun.” In the years since going broke, Cage appeared in 46 movies, an experience he likens to “a conveyor belt.” (By comparison, in that same time, Brad Pitt made 19, Tom Cruise, 11, and Leonardo DiCaprio, 9.)

Cage was adamant that he would never file for bankruptcy, even when people kept telling him to press that button. And he wants to clear up a misconception about the work he took on to prevent that from happening. “When I was doing four movies a year, back to back to back, I still had to find something in them to be able to give it my all,” he says. “They didn’t work, all of them. Some of them were terrific, like Mandy, but some of them didn’t work. But I never phoned it in. So if there was a misconception, it was that. That I was just doing it and not caring. I was caring.”

Eventually, it added up. About a year and a half ago, he finished paying off all his debts.

Huh, that story kinda spins me around to liking him again. He’s like the anti-Steven-Seagal.

Nice, thats dedication to the taxman!

Also , I learned a thing!

In 2010, Nicolas Cage purchased two plots in this cemetery using one to construct this strange pyramid mausoleum.

Yeah, I went on a walking tour of that cemetary a few years back and saw that crazy thing. Guy’s a vampire and he’s getting ready to haunt New Orleans after he “dies.”

What I learned from my tour is that it’s so hot and dry in those mausoleums that the corpses are naturally cremated from the heat, and the mausoleums get reused over and over with new bodies. Nothing but dust in here, shove another one in. That cemetary is not very large.

Currently rocking a 100% critic approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes with 27 reviews so far.

First Everything Everywhere All at Once? Its a good time for batshit movies!

We are living in batshit times, so I guess it “makes sense”. ;)