The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

“I kind of miss those barrels” is the greatest innovation in RPGs in years.

I surprised there isn’t more dogpiling onto the QTE’s take boss battles to the next level remark. I figured that’s the last thing games need.

Otherwise looked cool. I didn’t get too far in the first once I heard rumors of a 360 version. But since that’s dead, I should reload the PC version and finally get through it.

Push ups in full chainmail? I don’t think the voices sounded that bad, certainly they were decent for a videogame. The QTE’s might be interesting if information or plot development was revealed based on the quality of your success. As long as they aren’t do or die QTE’s they should be tolerable.

This looks great. “I kind of miss those barrels” is sig-worthy. If we had sigs here ;)

This just proves the point that Eastern Europe is about a decade behind the West in terms of game development. They are still cranking out golden era genres, themes, and design, but CD Projekt can feel proud of themselves for ushering AAA tropes into the region.

I’m mostly joking, I don’t think it’ll be a huge deal.

You saved yourself by “mostly joking”, because Poland just like my country is central europe, not eastern! : )

Sorry, I am just trying to make a broad generalization of a group of game developers to contrast them with the mainstream western/Japanese stuff. Should be more careful around picky Europeans. :)

So it’s not that you’re wrong? It’s just they are picky. Gotcha. =P

Witcher accomplishes what it’s trying to do a lot better than STALKER, I think, but I’ve never really gotten the STALKER love to begin with. I’ve tried to play it five times and have never made it more than an hour in before getting frustrated and/or bored.

I think we gamers are just starved for mature fantasy RPGs this decade and The Witcher stepped in to fill that void.

No argument there. The Witcher definitely has an advantage in that it’s one of the only games of its kind these days. Sad, but true.

Seems like one of the objectives of that video is to demonstrate that they are not. The first one that pops up is failed, and the player just takes a slash from the boss as a punishment.

Not to derail the thread, but…I know five times is a lot, but you should give it one more chance : ).Apply latest patch and Stalker Complete 2009 mod when you are at that.And try to give it at least two hours this time.Playing in dark with volume cranked up on beefed up PC is a prerequisite of course.Also choose “Stalker” difficulty, and always try to aim for the head.It can be difficult in the beginning, but once you get better weapons…
I finished Stalker three times and loved it every time.First time was with x800 graphics in DX8, second time with x1900xt in DX9 and third time with gtx280 and that Complete 09 mod.With it it looks gorgeous even for today standards.
As for new best IP of decade, it would be, unsurprisingly, tie between Stalker and Witcher for me.

First. i don’t know wtf are you talking about The Witcher and Stalker. Totally different genres, different developers, etc. It’s like comparing The Witcher with Quake or with Diablo 2 or with Gabriel Knight. And clearly there is something wrong with you if you don’t like Stalker :P.

Second, he takes a slash, but he doesn’t die like “falling to a chasm” style of QTE.

It’s just a little chit chat about good new IPs from this decade. I didn’t expect Matt to like it (you know, given how PICKY HE IS :) but that is my personal choice. Creepy, vaguely post-apocalypse beats mature fantasy setting for me every time.

I found STALKER a lot more fun when I put in the new patches and one of the better community mods. Once you get to the “vampires” and “zombies” caused by the radiation, and have Russian SPECNAZ (sp?) soldiers air-dropping from helicopters, things get really interesting (and sometimes scary) quickly. Finding the Duty base and hanging out with the other stalkers in the bar was one of the more atmospheric things I’ve done in any FPS.

Witcher was good but I really disliked the inventory and combat systems, which you were forced to use very often. The level-up mechanics were interesting at least. Here’s hoping Witcher 2 can address my gripes with the first game.

Inventory was a lot improved in EE (though I didn’t have any problems with in in vanilla) and combat system is down to personal preference (I loved it, on hard), so for my sake I hope they will not screw it up by making it different like Piranhas did in Gothic 3 case.Tried to make it “more accessible” and completely fucked it up.No thanks.

I prefer a strategic approach to combat in my RPGs, and there’s just too much action going on without enough depth to keep things interesting. Although what’s interesting is that it seems as though Diablo 3 is taking the combo stuff from Witcher into its gameplay.

Well the assassin was the precursor to the rogue of World of Warcraft, so it’s not like Diablo wasn’t already headed in this direction.

Like how Rogue is the only class in WoW that has combos, I think the Monk is the only class in Diablo 3 that has them that has been announced thus far. It’s too early to tell if any other classes have them but if WoW is any indication the other classes will have their own mechanics.

I’m with Matt in that I’ve never been able to get into STALKER for whatever reason. Not to derail the thread, but what are the community mods you would recommend? I’m thinking about giving the game another shot this weekend.

I can’t remember the name but it was mainly around balancing the weapon characteristics, enhancing the UI, and making the AI smarter. When you are a lowly noob STALKER, it’s a pretty rough first fight when you have a pea-shooter and no armor. The smarter enemy AI takes advantage of their encampment far better so your compatriots usually end up getting killed. If you make it you can loot their bodies, though. There is a hidden merc armor on top of the roofs of one of the buildings in the first village, so that can seriously even out the odds. You may also want to look for the caches and artifacts over by the mill first, which can be helpful to get some more ammo and reduction on bleeding.

Stalker Complete 2009 is a very good mod. Here is the homepage:

This game is worth a long look if you like sandboxes. Pour yourself a vodka and give it a few hours ;)