The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

It looks like the best mod for STALKER right now is called Oblivion Lost:

A-Life, drivable vehicles, faction war, weather cycles, etc.

Yeah and the two are completely incompatible, so if you want to play the totally improved, but still basically vanilla version (which I recommend) I would go with Complete 09.And for the second playthrough then with Oblivion Lost (which I also recommend).

Love The Witcher. Hate hate hate QTEs…in an RPG!!! Get that shit outta of here!

Tim brought it up, I responded. And considering the first thing people who recommend STALKER do is tell you what mods to use to make it enjoyable, I’d say it’s probably something wrong with it more than me.

Second, he takes a slash, but he doesn’t die like “falling to a chasm” style of QTE.

That’s what I said.

What a weird post.

Dude I was born in Poland. It’s Eastern Europe. That pile of dogshit split up countries to the west of Russia are not a part of Europe.

Also, I think STALKER was certainly a good IP, but it’s nowhere near as fleshed out and interesting as the universe of The Witcher. Granted, TW has an encyclopedia’s worth of storytelling to use as a source.

The QTE’s seem OK. I don’t like defending QTE’s, but for the excellent badass and cinematic animation being displayed, I’ll accept them.

Inviting QTEs into the RPG genre is just BAD! But I’m pretty much against anything that runs counter to core RPG mechanics.

My Character successfully lifts the large rock having a strength of 15. Oh shit QTE…fail, rocks slips and smashes my characters toe. I didn’t press a button fast enough. Character shakes fist at player.

Those mods are not necessary, I finished the game twice (and loved it) without any mods.But they DO make the game even better (to the point of being holy shit fucking awesome) so why not recommend them, and why not use them?

Well when you go by the textbook definition of Europe, those countries are part of europe, and we are in the central europe.And I like this textbook definition, because I hate out communist history and like to be as detached from russia as possible.But I do love their games : ).

Well, by textbook definition, Russia is part of Europe too :p

what the hell is a QTE? Never heard that term.

Quick Time Event

Sure it is and I never said otherwise.

Gotcha. Yeah, definitely more of a console game thing.

I remember thinking they were pretty cool in Shenmue. Then again, that was more of an interactive movie with action sequences and some fighting (and forklift driving).

Well, the simple answer is that if it’s such a great game (i.e., the best new property of the last ten years), it should be able to stand on its own. Next time I try to play it I think I will use the mods, because maybe that will finally bridge the gap between concept and execution for me. I like many of the ideas in the game, I just find it stone-dead boring. I’m sure it gets better later, but I have a serious problem with these RPG/shooters that start you off unable to shoot straight.

And yes, that does mean that I agree with Tom on Deus Ex more than I disagree with him.

Aaaaahhhh.

Well then we have nothing more to talk about then.Let’s return to The Witcher.

: )

I envy you.

I will never understand the QTE hate. At this point I’m just convinced it’s people with no reflexes or something.

…and i agree with you. Yeah, let’s return to The Witcher before speaking about Deus Ex, Tom Chick, and how Stalker was the best game of 2007. :P

My favorite QTEs are the ones that display console buttons for a PC port. I’m looking at you Mercs 2.

I’m really hesitant about the inclusion of QTEs in the cutscenes, simply because having to watch out for the stupid mouse symbol will detract from what you’re watching. Though I’ll probably find that when I play the game I totally love the game and the QTEs don’t bother me at all.

And with respect to the STALKER v. Witcher discussion, I loved both games. And STALKER is great out of the box, but I thought the Oblivion Lost mod made a great game better.

For what it’s worth, it looks like the UN Statistics Division puts Poland and the Czech Republic in Eastern Europe, with no “Central Europe” designation. They appeared to just lump the former Warsaw Pact countries into Eastern Europe.