The Witcher 2 Spoiler Thread

The aiming the ballista part at the beginning (to shoot the guy with the feather-helmet) drove me insane. I could never get anything but 3 degrees or 2.5 degrees. Did anyone else run into this issue?

You only have one try so i never got to learn how to aim the damn thing.

Ok, couple things I’m curious about.

1. I killed the La Valette guy in a sword fight. Has anyone been able to talk him down?

2. In Flotsam, I saved my buddies by beating up the guards and executioners. Was anyone able to talk their way through it?

1. yes, you meet him again later in the dungeon. I think appealing to his honor was the trick.

2. no, why do you care?

The topless woman in the dungeon from the first preview video: was that in the prologue dungeon? The devs said they were going to put some clothes on her, but when I met a woman in the dungeon, the ambassador walked her out. Is that the same woman, and is there an alternative path here?

Also, is Foltest supposed to be a sympathetic character from the first game or books, or just another merciless king? I don’t remember. The wiki wasn’t much help.

The woman you meet in the dungeon is the Baroness who Foltis was going to war for/against. I am not sure if the confession in the torturer’s room about her bonking her son/brother Aryan or whatever is true or forced.

I think the confession is what I missed. That’s in the prologue, right?

He was an incestuous Jackass who was also a pretty decent king. He didn’t forget his friends, pretty much kept Temeria peaceful for a long period and was ruthless when it came to his political enemies and hanger-ons.

He was just really touchy with his family.

I kinda liked him.

I think it’s forced. There’s supposedly a cutscene showing the torturer forcing her to sign it if you go through a different path in the dungeon. Hell if I know where the different path is.

He looks like bon cop.

I am getting hammered by the dragon, on the scene where you, the king and Roche are going down the bridge and the dragon returns. I make it through the QTE, but then you are left being chased on the bridge by the dragon. I can’t run fast enough and get run over by the dragon every time. It doesn’t help that the camera is locked facing the dragon so you have to back peddle. What am I missing here?

Seriously, this is ridiculous. I’ve reloaded like 15 times already, just can’t beat the dragon, even going back and forth.

I put the game on easy QTEs and simply ran straight down the bridge. I was wondering if something was supposed to happen.

I just switched it to easy QTEs, so now I don’t get the “click now” business, but it’s once you’re back into the game, and running down the bridge. The dragon catches up to me in no time and runs me down. I can’t use signs, or anything else. Really wondering what the trick is here. Gamespot says “follow the on screen keys” but I don’t see a damn thing.

So yeah, it looks like I missed a major alternate path in the prologue dungeon. I’ll copy and paste from the game guide I got from the D2D digital premium (?) edition. It’s a good example of the major things you miss with some basic choices. Spoilers, obviously. (The numbers correspond to points on a map in the guide.)

After defeating the guards, we find the cell keys on one of them. In the chest outside we’ll find our sword and the potions: cat and white gull.

Having left the cell, now we must get out of the dungeon… We go towards the door of the room we’re in. We can try sneaking to the exit, or just kill all encountered guards. Let us assume, however, that we’ll attempt to go unnoticed.

There’s a guard in the room ahead. After opening the door we should hide in the cell on the left and wait for the jailer to approach the door we emerged from. We sneak behind him and overpower him. Then we follow the stairs up [2].

[Choice] There are two ways leading out of the dungeon: [A] the high road and [B] the low road. Depending on the one we choose, and on the choice we made when facing Aryan the story will be somewhat different.

[A] We’re facing a corridor with a closed door at the end. There’s a guard to the left, keeping watch over a cell. We put out the torch nearby – that will draw his attention, allowing us to overpower him.

So we go left [this is what I did], to where the guard came from. Once the prisoner in one of the cells notices us, he’ll begin to holler, and that will draw more guards. Therefore we hide in one of the empty cells and sneak to overpower a guard. Then we sneak into the next room. Evading a guard, we crouch behind the barrels to the left. We put out a nearby torch, and when the jailer will come to light it, we dispose of him. There’s one more guard in the closet nearby. We hide behind the barrels in front, and when he’s distracted by the noise, we overpower him. Then we enter the next room [4].

[A1: Aryan is alive] We witness a scene where two guards lead Aryan La Valette out of a torture chamber. The nobleman overpowers them, and then Geralt shows himself. After a quick chat we’re tasked with clearing the way to the exit, and then returning to get Aryan, because he’s been tortured and is in no condition to help us.

[A2: Aryan is dead] If we fought Aryan, we’ll witness a scene where the Nilfgaardian ambassador, Shilard, leads the Baroness Louise La Valette out of a torture chamber. We then go upstairs and defeat the guards found there.

[A1] We come back for Aryan and go upstairs with him. After a while, we reach a spot in which the nobleman will tell us of a secret passage [5]. He opens it and tells us to flee; he will take care of the rest. He sets the barrels found in the room ablaze, cutting us off. So we continue along the corridor leading to the exit. Triss awaits us outside. We run with her to Roche’s ship and set off in search of Foltest’s real killer. [wtf you miss everything here]

[A2] After defeating the guards, we search for an exit. Eventually we come to a room where we will once again encounter Marie Louise and Shilard Fiz Oesterlen. [I got this part]

After a short chat, the ambassador will offer to help us. After all, Foltest’s death is quite convenient for Nilfgaard, and we did help Emperor Emhyr himself once. Shilard calls the guards beyond the door, telling them the witcher escaped and is on the loose in the dungeon. The guards promptly rush downstairs, and our way out is now clear [6]. After getting out, we walk left, finding Triss. Together we run to Vernon Roche’s ship awaiting us. Since Foltest’s killer was aided by the Scoia’tael, they most likely sailed to the town of Flotsam, where one of Iorveth’s units has been sighted.

[B] We’re facing a corridor with a closed door at the end. There’s a guard to the left, keeping watch over a cell. We put out the torch nearby – that will draw his attention, allowing us to overpower him. We walk up the stairs on the right [this is the part I didn’t know about]. We overpower one guard and sneak up to another one, who’s interested only in the elven woman in one of the cells. On him, we find the key to the door in the corridor below. Behind the door we open a trapdoor and jump down [3]. There we’ll eventually find a torture chamber [7].

[B1: Aryan is alive] If we didn’t kill Aryan La Valette, the torturer will be tending to the nobleman, to make him sign a paper stating that he is the father of Foltest’s bastards. We jump down and overpower the scribe. Then the torturer notices us and we have to fight him. [Combat] When fighting the torturer, we have to remember about blocking and using strong blows. We free Aryan and, helping him, go up from the torture chamber. The youth says he’ll wait for us, and asks us to deal with the guards upstairs. We have to comply with his wishes. It’s unlikely we’ll manage to overpower all the guards upstairs, so we might as well draw our blade and get ready for some swordplay. We come back for Aryan and bring him upstairs. After a while, we reach a spot in which the nobleman tells us of a secret passage [5]. He opens it and tells us to flee; he will take care of the rest. He sets the barrels found in the room ablaze, cutting us off. So we continue along the corridor leading to the exit. Triss awaits us outside; we run with her to Roche’s ship and set off in search of Foltest’s real killer.

[B2: Aryan is dead] If we fought Aryan, the torturer will be tending to his mother, Louise La Valette, forcing her sign a paper stating that Foltest was not the father of her children. We jump down and overpower the scribe. Then the torturer notices us and we have to fight him. [Combat] When fighting the torturer we have to remember about blocking and counterattacking. We free the Baroness, and after a few moments our chat with her is interrupted by the Nilfgaardian ambassador, Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen entering the torture chamber. At Louise’s request, he agrees to help us escape the dungeon. He goes upstairs, asking us to follow him a few moments later. The ambassador summons the guards, while we hide safely. The Nilfgaardian tells the guards that the witcher escaped and that his men saw him downstairs. The guards rush to the dungeon, and the way out is cleared for us [6]. And so we leave. After getting out we find Triss and follow her to Vernon Roche’s ship awaiting us. The trail of the Scoia’tael who were helping Foltest’s real killer will most probably be found in Flotsam. So we set off.

Are you really facing the dragon backpedaling? My character had the king in his arms and ran straight down away from the dragon. He automatically dodged to the side midway through, then I kept running to the end. Maybe move your mouse? Otherwise it sounds glitched. Reload a bunch of times or something.

Well I have to push “S” which is usually backwards to move away from the dragon… the camera is facing the dragon. If I push W, it moves me right into it. Anyway, I push and hold down S and run away from it, but it always catches me and my Geralt definitely does not dodge automatically.

Youtube, man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaz5F5Bj9S8 9:20

On easy QTEs the dodge to avoid the fire happened for me automatically (I think). This guy has to do a QTE.

Stop the video after that because it spoils the next cutscene.

I am getting hammered on the 1st battle after the dungeon break. Hard Landing. The one where I have to stay within Triss’ arrow shield cocoon. Those elves just show up too frequently and in numbers. I don’t have the room to run away a lot as I did in the earlier court yard battle during the prologue. Anyone have suggestions here?

Edit: NM, I made it. :) Healthy dose of Yrden traps did the trick.

Ah, that helped, thanks much!