The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Call me crazy but it seems the haptic feedback on the PS5 controller works on PC. I thought it wasn’t supposed to? RT seems too much for my old rig at 1440p and 60 fps. Oh well.

Edit … I’m not crazy it does support it. I thought it wouldn’t. Guess not much rewson to play on the PS5 then lol.

While switching RT on and off it’s got a bit crashy for me. Turning on all the RT certainly dents my framerate too.

Yes switching in back and forth crashed my game many times. I’m seeing weird ass crap with some of the grass textures where they are all blocky. It’s to the point where I don’t want to play it right now. This is before and after I downloaded the drivers from today. I messed with settings and nothing helped. No way it’s supposed to look the way it does.

Edit…
I’m a moron and Installed into a folder that already had mods. Deleted the mods and it’s fine now. Lol

Weird, I’m trying to use MSI Afterburner (GOG version of Witcher 3) and I can’t get the RTSS overlay to show up. There was a GOG screenshot conflict with F12, so I quit GOG, ran Afterburner first (read that GOG would detect AB in action), still no luck. Tried both full-screen and full-screen window.

Anyone have any ideas? I wanted to fine-tune the framerates by looking at how various settings affected them. I loaded up MSFS right afterwards and the Afterburner/RTSS overlay was there, no problem.

Correction on release time (at least for Playstation):

The 4.0 Patch for the PS4 release is available (and works). However, the PS5 version is a brand new download and that won’t show up in your library until midnight PST.

Yeah same issue here, no MSI overlay. Switched to the nvdida overlay and that works fine. Allowing me to tinker with the settings and see the fps differences.

But yeah this is a bit crashy when messing with settings, might leave it for now and see if they patch the patch.

• Yen
  • Triss
  • Let’s play Gwent.

0 voters

I’m only voting Triss because I voted Yen in my first playthrough.

With everything maxed I get framerates in the 20s in say a nice foggy swamp. It’s fine, and lovely looking, but I wonder if I should come back to this after an upgrade…

What GPU?

Don’t mess with the Hairworks settings while in a cut scene

According to Reddit, it’s DX12 and they suggested Nvidia overlay too. I never use it and have had it disabled, but I’ll have to switch it on for now…

How about the built-in Windows performance overlay (Win-G)?

The answer to the poll will always be Shani.

Loaded up my first save since 2016, and it looks nice! Although it does crash every time I turn on RT, so hopefully there’s a patch for that soon.

One weird thing is that I can’t seem to start a New Game+. The option is greyed out, even after I load a completed save and save a new version with 4.0. I may just start fresh, but it would be kind of nice to keep our old character going.

Impressions for an undervolted 3090 system with AMD 3700x:

• HDR looks really nice on my HDR1400+ screen.
  • Ultra+ tiers for the standard graphics options are a great addition, I could tell the difference with a few of them.
  • DLSS blurs my 4k image quite aggressively, and the increase in fps is there (perhaps 10fps). In fact, none of the AA options do anything but blur the image. Pretty disappointing, in some other DLSS games I struggle to tell the difference between native 4k and DLSS turned on.
  • Depending on the scene, ray tracing can make a big difference to the lighting, and make the game feel more immersive and less like game graphics. Too bad about the yuuuuge fps drop.

Performance:

• Ultra+ everything, 4k rez, hairworks max, and NO DLSS and NO RTX: I get about 60-80fps outdoors.
  • Add RTX but keep DLSS off: I get 20-30fps outdoors.
  • Add DLSS balanced or quality: I get 40-55fps outdoors.

So now I feel like im at a crossroads where I either opt for crispiness and smoothness or go for a more blurred yet more realistic image with both RTX and DLSS. Gsync does make 40-55fps tolerable, but it is far from ideal.

As mentioned above, fiddling with the settings for too long is just asking the game to crash. In fact, the menu overall just feels sluggish (even when game fps is above 60).

Edit: just realised i haven’t updated drivers in awhile. Will see if that makes a difference!

Ya messing with RT was crashing my game a ton. I gave up and just opted to max out the settings as much as I can for now. I have a 3070, but I have an I7 7700 which is starting to show it’s age in some games. That said with RT turned off I’m running pretty much max settings. I have it frame locked at 60 FPS and it generally is around there sometimes dipping into the 40’s when it’s a busy area. Need to mess with it some more, but I’m pretty happy with it.

I had to turn off the close cameras. It just made the game feel cramped and hard to see. I prefer the default cameras. Nice to have an option that’s easily switchable. I’m not sure how much I like the new quick sign stuff. Maybe I need to just get used to it, but I just kept on casting the wrong stuff.

Updating the driver definitely helped smooth some stuttering I was getting. YMMV.

Yes I was getting stuttering a ton until I updated the drivers. RT is just kind of broken. I may even consider playing at 30 FPS to have it on, but it needs to not be crashing my game. The reflections and amazing. The games default lighting is really good so I mean it’s not a big loss. RT has a ways to go before it’s really usable. Every game it just murders the FPS.

Updating my drivers made the fps more volatile and the game is now crashing much more frequently (I couldn’t even launch a game with RTX on without it crashing). I can’t recall a time the game crashed when RTX was off, though.