The XBox 360 Failure Rate Poll

I’ve had mine a little over a year. The “No Problems” part of the poll slections though isn’t exactly accurate in my situation. While I don’t have any Red Ring problems (knock on wood) my tray sticks and usually won’t open without a well aimed Finger Thwack. Then if you push the tray open/close button to close it, it only sucks in part way and ejects again. It’s not a huge deal but I’ll be getting it fixed before my warranty runs out.

…because if it had a 0% failure rate, you’d TOTALLY be leaping to put money into Microsoft’s pocket, right?

I’ve recently started having disk read issues and such. So although I had to select “no problems” here I’m betting that my system will soon be on it’s way back to Microsoft in it’s “coffin.”

Of course! Well, let’s put it this way… I might buy a USED one with a 90 day store warranty. But right now with this track record? Nope, a Pinto or Chevette would be a better value, IMHO.

Dailytech is running a story where they interviewed some EB and Best Buy employees in regards to the number of X-Box 360’s returned via thier extended warrenty. Seems like they match this polls ~30% number.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7892

I guess when Microsoft kept saying 3% they meant 30% but forgot the zero.

How is the QT3 failure rate being calculated? Do “we few, we lucky few” who have had multiple failures count as more than one?

Also, let it be known, the 360 kicks ass, the games are great, I aint even mad about the repairs (which happened under the 1yr warantee) but I don’t like being lied to.

Its the huge pile of bullshit that is harming MS more then the popping pins.

I just add up the %. Like right this second: 25% died once, 9.38% died 2-3 times and 1.88% died 4+. Add them up, comes to: 36%+ self-reported failure rate for readers of this board.

Other way to do it: Total votes: 160. Number of failed Xboxs (once or more):55. Failure rate: 36.25%.

Either way: it’s bad. Somebody at some company needs to get out there and 1) Admit the problem and 2) Tell the public what they’re doing about it.

Edit: You can only vote once per username, right? There shouldn’t be any dupes.

I agree that the 360 is awesome other than the reliability problems. I also agree that it is Microsoft’s handling of the situation more than anything else that pisses me off. My 360 was fixed for free under warranty, but given the way these things go I suspect the refurb I got back will die someday – timing-wise, I think I just missed out on the GPU heatsinks, so no comfort there. I can just imagine a future where the warranty they assigned to my refurb has just ended and my refurb does 3RL and the MS support guy says I’m going to have to pay for repairs. If that ever happens, it will be a very unhappy day for me, but there is no way I’d pay for it, and I’m not going to buy an extended warranty either because fuck that noise.

It kind of pisses me off that so many people opt for Microsoft’s extended warranty as a fix for the problem, both because it helps mask the true extent of the issue and also because it sets a bad example to the consumer electronics industry that we’re willing to pay them up front to try to avoid a problem that they caused in the first place with a design defect.

I voted “No problems, and I’ve had it under a year”, since it hasn’t actually died yet. But it’s crashed rather regularly from day 1. Guess which game? (Hint: It rhymes with Bread Rising.)

I fail to see why some of you are voting “No problems” when you have problems.

Words don’t actually rhyme with themselves, so I’m thinking Dead Sizing.

Is there any (anecdotal or otherwise) relationship between specific games and failures? 'Cause I was just thinking about firing DR up now that I got me a HDTV.

Hey, does anyone else have an Elite?

I was playing on the white box here at the office and I realized that my fan is way way louder on the black box at home.

Are you guys factoring in that one vote for failing 2-3 times for one person and is actually 2 to 3 failures and should, therefore, increase the failure rate? Repeat for 4+ failures.

Not only that, I worked in the vernal equinox, Dansgaard-Oeschger cycle, The Swallows of San Juan Capistrano and left handers winning American Idol! (So the real failure rate is actually 48.965%)

I don’t think it really matters what the exact percentage of failures is on Qt3, the answer is clearly “way too fucking many”.

Fix this shit, Microsoft. Don’t do me wrong and force me to go crying back to Sony!

PS3 with a substantial price cut makes Sony look much much better… plus I have many PS1 and 2 games that would benefit from upconverting. Hmmmmm…

Not really. Well, there’s evidence for several different ones, so it really doesn’t mean anything. Some people just tend to point at specific games being the problem simply because their 360 died while playing them. Pretty much every popular 360 game has been blamed for a console death at this point.

I would think a failure rate like that might lead to a class action lawsuit.