The Xbox One X - Project Scorpio lives and I am a dumbass for thinking it would be the Xbox 10 S

Apparently the last of the 4K blu ray color issues on the XB1X and XB1S 4K Bluray players is supposed to be fixed in the latest alpha patch rolling out to insiders.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/red-dead-redemption-joins-the-list-of-xbox-one-x-enhanced-games-with-five-others

Today during the Inside Xbox updates, a handful of new Xbox 360 games that will be getting the Xbox One X enhancement treatment, including Red Dead Redemption.

Xbox announced its slate of Xbox 360 games that will receive graphical enhancements and performance boosts when played on the Xbox One X. This includes Darksiders, Gears of War 2, Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and available for the first time on Xbox One, Sonic Generations.

The updates are out now, including a 582.73mb patch for RDR. I need to see those Red Dead enhancements!

Sam Fisher!!! (Michael Ironside being interviewed about the return of Sam Fisher)

Here is the list of OG XBox games coming up:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-original-star-wars-battlefront-2-heads-up-a-ton-of-new-xbox-backwards-compatible-games

Original Xbox games releasing on April 17:

• Blinx The Time Sweeper
  • Breakdown
  • Conker: Live & Reloaded
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
  • Hunter: The Reckoning
  • Jade Empire
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • SSX 3

Original Xbox games releasing on April 26:

• Destroy All Humans!
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
  • MX Unleashed
  • Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory (Europe only)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 2
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
  • Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
  • Stars Wars: Republic Commando

Red Dead in 4k!

That looks awesome. I never finished the game. One X to the rescue to convince me to dive back in.

Is it actually 4k (or 4k+HDR???) or just “enhanced”? It’s hard to tell…

It’s like the other Xbox One X enhanced 360 titles - the game thinks it’s running exactly the same as it always does, but the emulator automatically renders the content at 4k resolution.

If you watch past Digital Foundry videos on those enhanced games they usually give a good explanation of what it’s about and show the additional detail on display. Considering the game is unaware of the change in resolution, it’s usually pretty amazing how much more detail is visible thanks to the higher rendering resolution.

INteresting. I don’t see them on the enhanced website (yet):

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list#tabletitle

As mentioned above, the patch is out now. I’m sure we’ll get details / videos on how it looks on action soon.

Aargh. I just replayed RDR on my X two months ago.

It’s there now, but only listed as Enhanced (neither 4k nor HDR are listed)>

The other 360 enhanced titles do a lot more than bump the resolution.

Kind of. It’s the exact same game code running, and the emulator doesn’t modify anything about the game code or asset quality.

But the way most games work is to start with full-resolution assets and scale them down as much as is necessary to fit into the performance and memory ceiling of the system it’s running on. So on a 360 you get what you get, but on an Xbox One X the same code and assets don’t need to scale down as much to reach the same target frame rate.

Similar thing happens with The Witcher 2, where it has dynamic-quality models, and on a 360 those models automatically scale down to be lower-poly while on an X it can use the full-polygon models without sacrificing frame rate.

Not sure what you mean - there are definitely some changes in asset quality, as some of the enhanced games have higher resolution textures. And other changes beyond higher resolution have dramatic changes in graphic quality and transform settings by significantly increasing viewing distance in open world games and adding anti-aliasing and substantially higher AF.

The 360 enhanced games on the Xbox Ones are almost unrecognizable, they are so substantially improved.

Watch the digital Foundry videos. The code and assets are unchanged. It’s just that the emulator fools the 360 code into using them at full quality and rendering at nine times the resolution without knowing it targets a higher resolution.

Oh, and the emulator can apply better texture filtering.

There are no changes to the game code or assets. What you see is increased clarity in what was already there but rendered at 720p, for example, on the 360.

You’re absolutely right that textures show up at a higher resolution, models are higher polygon, filtering is improved, and draw distance is improved. Those things are all done because the games were programmed to use the dynamic level of detail necessary to reach a specific performance target (usually 30fps). So the same code using the same game assets renders better when the game doesn’t need to scale things down to maintain 30fps.

To a limit, sure. Old titles didn’t come with texture resolutions you’d expect in a 4k or usually even 1080p title. But they’ll use the highest resolution they can.

Is Dolby Atmos for headphones worth buying? Is it better than the Windows Sonic setting? Does the game have to be specifically coded for Atmos for it to work? I’m using a One X.

I found the Dolby Atmos a decent upgrade over the onboard Dolby Headhpone support my headphones use.

Any game that supports 5/7.1 surround sound will be compatible - and that’s most of them. Basically Dolby Atmos for Headphones is an upgraded algorithm for translating the multichannel audio into 2 channel headphone audio while preserving the sense of spatial movement.

If you get it make sure you turn off any other simulated surround on your headphones though!

EDIT: This is a software filter doing the work inside the Xbox, rather than in hardware. Haven’t noticed it matter any. Worth noting this supposedly works on Win10 as well with your single purchase.