The Xbox One X - Project Scorpio lives and I am a dumbass for thinking it would be the Xbox 10 S

Ya, you can use that to get pre-order beta tests and stuff, by pre-ordering games and then just canceling them after the beta.

More hands-on impressions, with several native 4K titles.

Wowzer. Just watched the Forza analysis from Digital Foundry. It looks crazy good. Hope the dynamic weather/time of day isn’t restricted to a handful of tracks/modes.

Well, I got my pre-order in this morning. First time I’ve actually done that on a console, which feels a bit stupid. But I’m dying to check out some 4K HDR Blu-Rays, and I’ve got several cross-play XBoneX enhanced games that should look pretty sweet on the new telly.

I did the same this morning. The Blu Ray player on my Day One edition sometimes has trouble reading a newly inserted disc. Between that and the added power (been waiting to play The Witcher 3 on Xbox so I get to experience the best console version possible) I had been waiting for One X preorders to go live. Roll on the 7th of November.

Ha ha, suckers! I mean, welcome to the party bros!

Never at launch as the manufacturer eats costs for the long haul, but within a year or two, certainly.

Yeah, but Spenser was talking about doing away with that model if there’s going to be more frequent iterations of consoles. He was saying that model made sense when each generation was far apart, but if there’s going to be frequent iterations of consoles, it doesn’t make sense to sell at even a slight loss on Day One.

But still, we’re not there yet. After all, this Xbox One X will be coming out 4 years after the Xbox One, which is actually a respectable distance away from the previous iteration. Same time frame as between the OG Xbox and the 360.

The important thing here is that it isn’t a new generation. It is fully interoperable with the previous Xbone, even though it’s substantially faster. You can have some degree of confidence that any Xbone games you purchase today will be playable on current hardware in 10 years, unlike PSX/PS2/PS3, iOS, Wii/WiiU/Switch, and Xbox/X360 games. Like the PS4, PC, and Android, forward compatibility is assured.

I took a look at the pre-orders. I don’t need one but it’s a new console so I always have a look. Anyway, here’s the problem with this console…

That right there inspires zero interest in buying one. I can get many of those elsewhere and the ones I can’t aren’t out yet and might be a ways off in some cases.

They didn’t really need a new console. THEY NEED GAMES.

(Image from Best Buy’s Pre-order page)

I have about three hundred sitting in my virtual library on my current Xbone, between that console’s library and back compat with the 360. How many more games do they need?

Consoles are bought with the promise of upcoming games in addition to the possibility of playing exclusive ones that you can only get there. Their library is sorely lacking.

I have a 360. I have a One. Even if I didn’t have a One, paying $500 to play backwards compatible games is a non-starter. Plus, if you have a One, but no 4K TV, what are you gaining? Framerate? For $500? C’mon man. Don’t be so obtuse. The value isn’t there.

I’m perfectly fine with someone saying, “Well, Nintendo games aren’t for me.” and walking away. I get that. A lot of people struggle to play certain videogames because of their graphical style. The problem Microsoft has is they just don’t have anything to differentiate now. 360 had that. One does not.

Console exclusives are increasingly rare these days. That’s a great thing for consumers, as it means you can pick whichever console you prefer based on price, performance, and whatever your friends have.

If you have the money and your friends are on Xbox, get the XboneX. If you don’t have the money, get a XboneS. If your friends are on Playstation, make the same determination over there.

If you don’t have a 4K TV, and you already have an Xbone, don’t buy an X. Obviously.

Well that’s bullshit Dave, because I bought one and am presold for the One X, so clearly there is value there. However I am perfectly fine with someone saying, “Well, an Xbox One isn’t for me” and walking away. I get that.

Exclusives are becoming more rare, but they’re important.

I saw this coming about 5-6 years ago when MA started shuttering a lot of internal studios. They were acting like they had already won the war. Sony, on the other hand, invested more into their first-party. So here we are: MS keeps trying to ride Halo and Forza, while Sony has a ton of fresher hits.

Dude, I’m trying to help you. Maybe @Editer will read this and go bust some skulls? Microsoft needs to build a stronger library or this Xbox may be the last Xbox because they’re going to hit a point where the expense of competing won’t be justified even with their massive warchest.

Almost all important exclusives these days are first party titles. Hell, that’s why Nintendo continues to exist.

Destiny 2 is cross-platform, but PS4 is first among equals with time-exclusive content, and PC is last place with its 2 month release delay. That’s the best they can do now, time-exclusive content. They couldn’t get Bungie to release a dungeon just for them, not forever.

Correct! I would love to see Microsoft wake up to this again and produce more first party games. They have put out some really good stuff or bought some really good stuff that way. They’re a software company fer chrissake. It shouldn’t be this hard!

You seem to be talking at me as if you think I give a damn about Xbox or Microsoft as a going concern. Let me clarify this: I don’t. I will support them as long as what they’re doing works for me and if that stops, I’ll jump ship. I like the path they’re taking, working on giving up full or near-full backward compatibility. I would be annoyed if I had to rebuy a game each generation if I wanted to keep playing, as it seems you must if you’re in the PS ecosystem. I’m interested in better performance on the games I have, so I’m going to jump on the One X. I don’t see enough to interest me on either the PS4 or the Switch to grab me. If that should change, I will reevaluate.