The XBOX One

That’s a fair point - being a distant second doesn’t give MS a lot of room there.

They should drop GWG and make Xbox Live Gold completely free. Then MS would have a real marketing point.

Of course Sony would just make its multiplayer free too. Oh no, the poor consumers!

Yup, that’s covered in the FAQ.

They should, as you say. The thing is, think about how many $50-$60 fees they lose per year if they do that… or worse, those people who pay $9.99 a month and never buy the one-year cards! gasp

It’s a revenue stream neither of them will ever give up and now Nintendo is jumping on the bandwagon with Switch. :(

Yep. Honestly, the multiplayer fee is one major reason why I haven’t purchased any consoles this generation. It just pisses me off.

$20 a month, $45 for 3 months, or $100 for a year and yes, PS3 only. That also doesn’t include every title on the service; some are only available as a la carte rentals. It’s an awful pricing structure for a mediocre product.

Live costs me $25-30 a year, depending on offers when I pick up a renewal code. It’s a paltry amount to be pissed off about and not pick up a console over. Especially considering the amount of free games I have been outright gifted or allowed to play for free over the years as a perk for that subscription.

They have included some real gems of couch co-op / competitive gaming I’ve spent dozens of hours enjoying with the kids.

GwG really adds value to the Gold subscription.

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever paid full price for a year of XBL. When I worked at MS it was half price but even still there are pretty much always deals on cdkeys, Newegg, Amazon, whatever. Of course if you have a philosophical issue with paying for multiplayer none of that matters, but I just can’t get worked up about this anymore.

And also, in addition to the other titles on sale that @Rock8man mentioned above, there’s a bunch of 360 stuff on sale. Plus, The Awakening DLC for Dragon Age and the Vietnam DLC for Bad Company 2 are free, completely marked down this week.

I’ve never seen a year for $25 to $30. Certainly not now that it costs $60 for a year.

Yea a good deal on the yearly subs is maybe $45 at best the $30 ones don’t happen anymore.

You can get $45 today over at cdkeys. You can get better deals though they certainly are dependent on sales like Black Friday and such.

It’s not about the money. I had a bunch of $22 cocktails last weekend. Although, come to think of it, that’s kinda shameful too.

But anyway, paying for multiplayer just sticks in my craw and I won’t support it.

And just to follow up on the earlier concern, Mike Ybarra has said on Twitter that that the subscription service does not replace Games with Gold.

At this point I just look at it as a games of the month club like the HB monthly. That seemed to take the sting out of paying for mostly peer-to-peer matchmaking. Which did piss me off royally back in the day.

If they made multiplayer free and transformed XBL Gold to a game of the month club, that would be perfectly fine. And even reasonably priced. I will not pay for multiplayer in 2017. It’s ridiculous and I won’t do it.

Yes I think we get it, stusser.

I’m not sure I explained it fully. You see, I won’t pay for mul…

I agree, I don’t see them in the $25 to $30 range anymore since the baseline price changed to $60. $33 seems to be the new deal to look for since then. Newegg has had it for $33 a few times, as have others through ebay and other places. I’ll keep an eye out and post it next time there’s a deal like that, since I skipped them last few times, but my membership expires in August, so I’ll be looking for it this summer.

Nice find! I now own both of those forever! Muahahah. So if I’m ever stuck on a cruise with my 360 or XB1 hooked up, I can check those out.