The XBOX One

I’ll be honest with you, that doesn’t mean a whole lot to me. I know that’s the argument @stusser was making, that UWP was their Steam killer. OK, works for me. But I do like the idea of putting the game-making power back in people’s hands, even if they just use it to make “Don’t Shit Your Pants” games.

Once again though, there’s no technical reason why Steam couldn’t theoretically sell UWP games in the future. Yes I know few games use it now, but there’s at least one example of a humble bundle which distributed a UWP game and steam could do so sometime too.

It of course would be limited to just windows 10, so that’s a choice a developer would have to make. To decide if they want to make one game that could work on both windows 10 and Xbox One with little extra effort, or a game which could go back to Windows 7. Or eventually do both of course with extra work, but all of the pc versions could go through Steam.

Hm, found a bug with the game pass alpha, or I think so anyway. All the games that are part of the alpha pass that I already own don’t show up in my “Ready to Install” category. So stuff like Sunset Overdrive and Defense Grid 2, while I still own them, can’t be installed from there. Minor irritation but I like all my games in one place. Is this how EA Access works or is this a bug?

Can you post a link? Was it a code for the windows store or a real .appx file to sideload? So far I’ve been unable to find any UWP apps to sideload, period.

I can’t find it at the moment, but will link you to it when I do. But it was an appx file you can side-load.

Ah I found it, it was a part of the GameMaker bundle.

GameMaker supports building UWP packages, and the Humble Bundle also included a UWP version of a game called “Flop Rocket” both as a game you can play and an example you can code with.

I just downloaded it and in addition to its source code there’s a .appx file there that I can just double-click to install.

Cool! That is the first example I’ve been able to find on the entire internet.

So, I created a separate thread in hardware, but I figure I should ask here as well. Can the X Box one replace a laptop for the purposes or streaming and Skype? Will it work with regular peripherals such as webcams and keyboards?

Finally, if I don’t get the Xbox subscription, what do I miss out on? I am looking more for a streaming and Skype machine since I am mostly a PC gamer, and I have a huge backlog.

You don’t need XBL gold to use skype, no. As far as I can tell only the Kinect works as a webcam, though. You can input keyboard with the “smartglass” app on your smartphone.

The Xbone has apps for netflix, hulu, etc. Google for whatever streaming services you use.

Without XBL gold you can’t play multiplayer games online. That’s about it.

You can’t stream PC games to the Xbone, so not sure how your backlog would get drained.

Not sure about peripherals. I use it for Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, SlingTV, Live TV, pausable for up to 30 minutes (you can buy a Hauppauge TV tuner thingy for your OTA antenna). I haven’t used it for Skype in a long time through the Kinect, but back at launch I tried that and it worked okay.

You can stream Xbox One games and OTA TV to your PC through the Xbox One app on Windows 10, but I’m not sure if that will be a useful usecase for you.

Thanks. I think I will need to pass. It looks like the Xbox one is very limited when it comes to devices, which is a shame. 150.00 would be a great price for a small PC and blue ray player that I could connect to the tv, but without Skype, it just isn’t a good replacement for what I have already.

Looks like they’ve announced a release date of April 18 for the remaster of Voodoo Vince - going to Xbox One but also PC Windows store and Steam for $14.99. Guessing it’s not a PlayAnywhere title, but I haven’t seen that explicitly stated.

It is an Xbox Play Anywhere title.

Awesome! Glad to be wrong.

So this week’s sale has Axiom Verge for half price ($10), I’ve heard good things - probably worth jumping on yes?

Also pondering getting in on some of the AC series from 360, gamble on their becoming back compat. Maybe get AC3 because I loved it, and Liberation because I never played it, maybe the only AC game I skipped. I seem to recall Tom wrote a pretty positive review of that one.

I have Axiom Verge on WiiU. It’s a solid game if you like 2D Metroidlikes. Fun weapons and abilities. The main character is annoying, but that doesn’t mean much.

I liked it. It wasn’t as ambitious as a “full” AC game, but the story and main character are engaging and likable, and there are some interesting variations in the gameplay (in addition to some of the same old stuff, of course). The shipping mini-game is decent enough (not nearly as advanced as AC4), but really only matters if you want enough cash for all of the collecting achievements.

Did they ever use the “power of the cloud” for anything on the PRISM ONE?

Scorpio should be interesting reveal in June, wondering if they’ll do the “TV TV TV SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS” angle on it or not though. Maybe multiple HDMI passthroughs?

Nah man, that stuff’s ancient history. Went out with Mattrick.

You obviously haven’t been keeping up at all.