The XBOX One

Sorry for the delayed response, but a less extreme way to fix this is to turn off the “instant on” mode in settings, then do an ordinary off/on cycle. Then turn it back on (if you want it). Happened to me a couple months ago, and this fixed it.

Kotaku had their annual “State of the Xbox” analysis, and I can’t say I disagree with anything. MS really paid the price for dismantling their first-party studios prior to the Xbox One. They thought they had won the war and could coast by on third-parties and Halo the rest of the way. Meanwhile, Sony was in dire straits and bet the company on gaming, cameras/sensors, and Hollywood.

If the Xbox One is ever going to catch up with the much more popular PS4 this console generation, 2018 would be the time, though let’s face it, it probably won’t be. Microsoft enters the new year with the most powerful console on the market, capable of making games look and run better than the competition. The Xbox One arrives pretty late in the game, but its mid to high-end PC level performance is turning heads.

Despite the Xbox One X’s impressive horsepower, the console didn’t manage to make much of an impression in late 2017. Going into the new year, people seem excited about the new and shiny Switch, while chattering about impressive-looking upcoming PS4 exclusives like Spider-Man and The Last of Us Part II. That’s not really happening for the Xbox One X (or any Xbox One for that matter), and that’s not a great sign for Microsoft. If MS wants to regain their footing they need more exciting games, and they need to stop cancelling exclusives and start getting people psyched.

Phil Spencer was promoted to Microsoft’s senior leadership team this year, and he now reports directly to Satya Nadella. So it appears that MS is serious about Xbox once again. He’s been making the right moves to turn the ship around so far, but the games issue is the elephant in the room.

Another seasonal sale going up tomorrow. I’ve taken a quick pass at the games and prices and it looks a lot like the Black Friday sale. Still, I imagine I’ll find myself tempted by the games I passed up in November.

Same here!

Especially now that this Edith Fitch game has gotten some awards. Maybe I should give that a second look.

It’s a pipe dream, but maybe they’ll put A Hat in Time on sale! $5 off sale will be enough for me.

Tempting to me:

Batman: Return to Arkham $10 - Dare I triple dip on achievements of the original? 360, GFWL, now Xbox One?
Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition $13.20 - wish this was $10 or below, since I already owned it once
COD: Modern Warfare Remastered - $30 - Hahahahah. Just kidding WTF with the price Activision?
Homefront: The Revolution with expansion pass - $10 - Come for the atmosphere, kill some Norks?
INSIDE - $10
Overcooked - Gourmet Edition - $7 - This looks so fun, but for same screen coop. No one to play with :(
Shadow Warrior 2 - $16 - Because Tom is a really good writer and knows how to sell this game.
What remains of Edith Finch $13 - Awards season temptation
Voodoo Vince Remastered - $7.50 - Because divedivedive says it’s great.

Oh man, so good. Kind of showing it’s age in terms of checkpointing and such, but it’s still huge fun. Love the music too.

As for the others, I’m slightly tempted by Bulletstorm, but I’d really rather have the original in back compat. I don’t feel the need to upgrade. Maybe What Remains of Edith Finch, too, seeing that show up in a bunch of best of lists.

Got the Forza Horizon 3 Expansion Pass at 70% off.

I got Voodoo Vince yesterday, and played through the first level. I’m impressed with the graphics, what with this being an original Xbox game before it was remastered. It’s a good looking game. Only strike against it is that the colors in it are really dull for some reason. The colors don’t pop at all.

I’m liking the controls and the feel of the platformer so far. This should keep me satisfied until A Hat in Time goes on sale sometime next year.

Looks like we’ve got our January Games with Gold announcement -

As for me, I own both 360 games (I just bought Underworld in the Black Friday sale! Crap) but neither XB1 game. I hear Van Helsing is pretty good?

Same here.

I think we already got the 360 version of Van Helsing at some point, right? It had good word of mouth, so I tried it, but didn’t care for it. Maybe the Xbox One version is better.

We’ve already gotten at least one Van Helsing game and I’m thinking maybe two, wasn’t there some kind of tower defense game on GwG recently? Memory is failing me here.

Van Helsing games are very competent diablo style games, with a strong emphasis on storytelling actually, which makes them somewhat unique.
While they of course lack the polish of games like Diablo, since they are probably made on a tenth of the budget, they are very enjoyable, and has a ton of content and the developers are quite adept at making the game work - I heartily recommend EVERY Van Helsing game.

Oh, and there are 3 Van Helsing games, AND a tower defense edition as well. NEOCORE has moved on to their Warhammer 40K edition of a diablo style game by now.

This one’s for @Rock8man, Steep on Xbox 1 for $10.69 -

https://www.cdkeys.com/steep-xbox-one

The new Deus Ex is $9 right now. My procrastination has paid off!

Tempting. But I think I’ll wait for next year’s sale, when they have the Road to the Winter Olympics expansion included winter games gold edition on deep sale.

Ha, I wasn’t even in the market for this one and I bought it anyway. Ten bucks is pretty much my “what the hell” price point, and it seems like it might be fun.

It’s free next month on PS+ so you still overpaid.

$9 to have it for the life of Xbox LIVE sounds like a much better deal than $60 a year to keep it, but okay, you do you.

Thanks for the heads up about Playstation deals in the Xbox thread.

Kodi is now available on the Xbone. Pretty exciting stuff-- this instantly makes the Xbone a true streamer box contender, particularly as the XboneS already hits $150 on sale.

Or at least it will once they iron out the bugs in the initial release. Broken SMB is kind of a big problem.

I can’t get the UWP version to install on the Windows Store, it insists on installing the project centennial converted one. And I don’t own a modern console. So, any good?