The XBOX One

I played Homefront: Revolution last fall and my enthusiasm and excitement was really high the first 30-40% of the game and I was enjoying the poor man’s Far Cry, then one day I fired it up and just had zero interest in progressing. Maybe I burned myself out on completing the first few areas, I don’t know.

Looks like Xbox Games Pass is $1/month until May 8.

It appears this is only for newcomers to the service. If you purchased a month before it will be full price. Not sure if previous activation of 14 day trial will have an impact or not.

It’s only for the first month. And as someone who previously did the trial, I can confirm it doesn’t have an impact.

I haven’t signed on yet, so it is very tempting to pick up so that I can try State of Decay 2 this way. I won’t get the 14 day free trial, but getting 30 days for $1 sounds like a better deal anyway.

Interesting article with bits of an interview with Bill Stillman at MS regarding backward compatibility. One thing I find interesting is confirmation that music licensing is a complicating factor for getting rights, but mainly because original rights were for single users and not re-broadcast but Xbox One allows for streaming and sharing, so original licenses often don’t apply.

I tend to forget that during the original Xbox era, that they still were trying to figure out FPS controls. Case in point, Star Wars: Republic Commando, where the buttons are very different than what I’m used to now (and it doesn’t help that they were shoehorning in the squad commands thingy). Also, that enemy AI? Ugh.

But even newer games from the 360 era had some of the same issues, like that EA cover based shooter that was Games for Gold some months back. The controls were insanely non-standard, and I just had to abandon it early on.

Another issue with older games seem to be mp hacking. I’ve been playing Ironsight a lot on PC lately, and since it’s basically Black Ops II (with some minor differences), I wanted to fire BO2 up on my Xbox to compare. But I was unable to get into any lobbies without seeing hackers or XP boosting or just being kicked out right away.

There’s a big DLC sale for Game Pass games. Ends in 9 days

I’ve got my eye on these, any opinions?

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Baba Yaga
So Many Me - Mystery of the Skulls
Sunset Overdrive Season Pass

Only played Sunset Overdrive DLC from your list, but everything about that game is gold as at as I’m concerned.

Buying dlc for rented games, ehhh…

Baba Yaga is fun but rather short, so depends on the price I guess (I have the season pass).

The Tomb Raider episode DLC are $3 each, which is the right price for a rented game, for sure. I’m tempted by them, too, as I’m playing the game right now. What’s weird is all the skins are on sale at $1.20 each, too, but the season pass is only $3 off or something crappy.

I’m looking at the Blood Bowl 2 expansions. My brother and I downloaded it from Game Pass a week or two ago and started kicking it around. We had to slowly figure out the rules, but it was hilarious fun. So get all the expansions for a rental game for $27? That’s kind of steep. The individual teams are up though, too, so maybe I just get the ones I want for a couple bucks? Or just the Official Expansion with a bunch of teams and new content? Not terrible for $16…

I also see Everspace is on sale for 50% off ($15). Worth it?

I get being a little iffy on the idea of buying content for a game you don’t actually own - I wanted to play the space DLC for Goat Simulator so I actually bought the game on sale as well, even though I “owned” it through Games with Gold. And yeah, that felt weird.

I’m enjoying it so far. But I’ve only played it for the first 30 minutes or so. It’s a neat little space sim so far.

Plus it’s a Play Anywhere title, which means I get to play it on PC and Xbox, and go back and forth. I love that.

Saints Row 2 available on Xbox One back compat today -

I’m playing the new baseball game released today, that was also given to players as part of GWG. Turns out I have no idea how to play baseball, and don’t remember anything from my little league years, 35 years ago.

I didn’t grow up in the U.S. as a kid, so I actually learned baseball by playing a computer game called Hardball on my Amstrad.

Our school later started softball, which was quite a bit different (in subtle ways) than the game I’d played on the PC, so that was kind of confusing.

Whoa, I just replayed this 2 weeks ago, it’s still my favorite of the series. I’ll bet it works a lot more smoothly on the XBX than it does on a stock 360.

Now if they’d only put that overpriced DLC on sale.

Just in case you’re into silly stuff like achievements. Which, you know, psh. Whatever.

Wait, that wasn’t the case until now? I feel robbed. Slightly. (I never really pay attention to the weekly leaderboard though, so maybe not).

Actually I’ve never really paid attention to the leaderboard either, except to notice if someone on my friends list is ahead of me. Which someone always is since I started following that Maka guy, he’s a streamer so I guess it’s kind of his job.