The XBOX One

Yeah, it took me forever to get my wife to stop touching my monitor.

Stupid touchscreens.

Dogs. Dogs love sniffing that damn power button. And the capacitive button on the Xbox One is trouble in that situation.

Hey, what kind of hard hearted monster doesn’t love to push buttons, amirite?

Stimpy-red-button

Obviously not me; my wife says I’m pushing her buttons all the time.

OK so, the Duke! Tried it out tonight with a variety of games, and it’s interesting. I like it. It reminds me of the old controller, which it should since they’ve taken pains to get the feel and the weight exactly the same. I first tried it with SSX 3 and it was such a blast from the past. No problems with the controllers beyond my forgetting how to do pretty much everything, but I still got bronze in the initial race.

So I figured let’s try it out with some contemporary Xbox stuff, see how that works. And that’s where things get a little sketchy. There weren’t any problems exactly, but things are different enough that it made playing just a tiny bit harder. First, while the black and white buttons are on the new controller just like the original, they did also throw on a left/right bumper at the top edge of the controller, and you can reach them with your index fingertips. Doing this tends to shift your hands into a slightly different grasp, I found, with your middle fingers positioned on the triggers. And that’s not uncomfortable, even feels natural, except that I noticed it shifted my grip on the controller down a bit, so that my controls, especially the right stick which is already lower and affected my aim slightly. Also, the slight configuration change of the face buttons had an effect since they’re more squashed horizontally - A and Y are farther apart than B and X. Adding these together meant that I kind of lost my muscle memory, had to take just a moment to think about where my fingers should be to hit the button. And that can make a difference in some games.

I still like the controller, and I imagine I’ll keep using it with old Xbox backward compatible games. Not sure that I’ll ever use it with contemporary games because I think I’d have to retrain myself to be able to use the new controller without thinking, and I’m not sure I want to lose that with the original Xbox One controller, which is just about the king of controllers in my book.

This is really cool if true.

Does anyone know how to clear your 360 download queue for your Xbox one; either via the console itself or from your PC? My queue is full again and won’t allow 360 games to download remotely.

It looks like Microsoft changed the PC interface for checking and clearing your 360 BC download history.

I used to use the instructions found below, but unless I am missing something obvious it seems like this method doesn’t work anymore.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/store/view-download-history

I didn’t know you could see your 360 download queue anywhere but your actual 360. What is it preventing you from doing, you can’t download more stuff until it’s cleared? I’ve never gotten any messages like that.

Yeah every so often when when I purchase (or activate a GWG 360 BC) a 360 game via PC it then says that my download queue is full and that I cannot download remotely.

I used to be able to sign in to my Xbox account online via a PC and navigate to Settings then either purchase history or download activity and clear out the queue. It seems that Microsoft have changed the UI and I cannot figure out how to clear the queue anymore. It’s not a major issue since I can always directly download from the console itself, but it is a nice convenience to be able to purchase a game while at work and have it download and be ready when I get home.

When my 360 queue fills up (every few months) I can no longer download remotely from PC.

Also, for any folks who are bummed by all the games leaving Game Pass this month, looks like this week’s sale has a bunch of those departing games discounted, in case you just want to bite the bullet and buy them.

Dude…DUDE…finally! This game is great for just jumping and beating the crap out of Butterbean. I never did finish the campaign though because I couldn’t get past that one fight where you’re injured.

The only boxing game I played from EA was the original 360 title, I think it was called Fight Night Round 3. It was surprisingly good. I played it for the cheap achievements, but ended up loving it.

I liked Round 3 a lot. It looked amazing, at the time. What’s different about Champion?

Interesting (and short!) article about how the idea of Xbox came to be.

Fight Night Champion has already ripped me off. I bought the Bare Knuckles DLC and it shows I ‘own’ it but there’s no sign of it in the game. I saw someone else that bought a fighter pack complaining about the same issue. I wonder if the DLC is somehow just not supported in this version.

5 years of graphics improvement! It has a complete story mode too, where you play as a boxer named Bishop.

I noticed this morning that both Rainbow Six Siege and Fallout 4 are free to play until Sunday night.

Now I’ll have to decide if I want to continue my old Fallout 4 save from before survival mode was added, or my new survival mode save from last time that there was a free weekend.

Just in case anyone is interested, another edition of Inside Xbox happens today at 3:30pm PST. Looks like mostly talk about State of Decay 2, but sometimes there are surprises.

A rant about Xbox Live Rewards.

MS, you can have the rewards program you see fit to run, or not have one at all. But can I at least ask you not to actively screw with me in the process?

In the process of merging XLR into regular old MS Rewards, you abandoned a new and ambitious program called “My VIP,” which gave “gems” to people for doing various things online. Some things were as simple as earning another 1,000 gamerscore, some involved giving MS money, such as buying a month or year of XBL Gold or XGP, just buying stuff (1 gem for $1 spent) or pre-ordering a certain number of games. Some won’t ever be achievable, such as keeping your XBL Gold subscription active for 12 consecutive months, because the program won’t exist that long. Pretty standard rewards program stuff, really.

Then, MS changed its mind (which is the only real constant about MS, their corporate ADD is legendary) and decided to end the rewards and the MyVIP stuff. Which is perfectly within their rights to do, that’s not the complaint.

No, the complaint is that the MyVIP program was stealth-closed a long time ago, and MS is pretending that it’s not. That chipper email announcing a “new MyVIP perk” is just reminding me that you shut down any significant benefits to this program a long time ago and you aren’t being honest about it. Because no matter how many “gems” I have, you won’t redeem them for anything. Despite this, you keep sending me emails about how I need to hurry up and use my gems before June 15. It’s ok to close a program, but why fuck with me repeatedly in the process?

Let’s say you have a couple of thousand gems (they are still accumulating according to the plan rules), and want to do exactly what the emails are telling you to do and use some of them for rewards. What you will find is that you can get some FTP crap and nothing else. Oh, there’s lots of stuff listed, but anything not related to a FTP or lootbox game is “out of stock.” But that’s not credible, is it MS? Because there is no way in hell you can ever convince me that you are fresh out of 3-month or 12-month Xbox Live Gold Subscriptions. You aren’t out of rewards credits either, you just don’t want to let the people who signed up for your program, responded to your incentives, and earned your special play-money have them. Instead, you want to let them convert to far less valuable reward points at a much more favorable ratio to you when the program ends in a few weeks.

Now I’m not saying that you can’t do this. Obviously you can, and have done so. What’s making me feel like ranting is the fact that you won’t stop reminding me that you are being complete dicks about this program that you breathlessly announced less than a year ago. Every time you send an email, you sucker me into looking at your program, and remind me of your “we’re going to pretend we are out of stuff but we really just don’t want to bother following through with this thing” policy.

I’m OK with you ending a program, and I’m mostly unconcerned with you ending this program gracelessly with pretend stock shortages because fuck you guys for believing us.

But do you really need to send so many follow-up emails to make DAMN SURE I got the original “fuck you”? Because I got it the first time, stop it MS.

Battlefield 1943 added to back compat today:

Also announced six new games coming to Game Pass in June:

Hopefully more to be announced since 25 games will be leaving end of May.