The XBOX One

What made it special? Probably just that I hadn’t played Wipeout. I think Redshift was decent, but I know it’s definitely just personal nostalgia that makes me think it’d be fun to play again.

Heh. Not that I’m a big Wipeout fan either. I did like Wipeout XL and Wipeout Fusion on the PS2 was my favorite in the series. But my favorite game of that type was definitely Star Wars Episode 1: Racer. No game has come close for me personally in that category to Star Wars.

Snake Pass has a David Wise soundtrack too.

Did anyone else check this out btw? (It’s on Game Pass). It’s definitely a different take on 2D platforming/metroidvania. I recommend at least firing it up for a while.

My only real complaint is that I lose too much progress when I die. I wish it was more streamlined for gamers with less time on their hands.

I’m interested, but I’m probably going to hit Guacamelee for some metroidvania on Game Pass action first.

Forza 7 & Vermintide 2 free weekend with gold.

Forza is a real looker on the X, and a gigantic download. Playing it can boost your Forza rewards tiers. Might be some kind of loyalty bonus with Horizon 4 soon.

Vermintide 2 is also in gamepass and can be finished in ~ 10hrs. Save Sienna for last if you’re trying it solo. Using the other characters improves your bots.

OnRush was a continuous racer - no finish line. You scored points by knocking out the other team’s racers. You had several team mates on your side too. You can choose between several cars which fit classical “classes” - tank, healer, DPS, etc.

I’d compare it to Burnout’s Road Rage modes with classes.

According to a source, OnRush sold just over 1000 physical copies during its launch week in the UK. The fact it never appeared in the chart after that week did not bode well.

Brutal.

I gave it a half hour or so, but it hasn’t hooked me yet. The movement mechanic is interesting, but the shooting seems pretty off so far. And MV games need good shooting, in my opinion.

That’s an excellent game that I’d recommend without hesitation. I don’t know enough about Dandara to say it’s worse than Guacamelee, but I really liked Guacamelee.

Yeah, I’d agree with all that. Interesting movement, but the shooting seems hard. I haven’t fully passed judgement on it yet.

I played that back when it was free on PS+, a few years ago. I didn’t care for it. I don’t know why, but it was really tough for me to get past the graphics look and feel on that one.

It really sucks how many overlooked the game. It’s a freaking amazing.

Yeah, it’s an arcade driving game rather than a “racing” game. CheapyD mentioned on Twitter today the game probably would have sold way better if it had been named Burnout: Onrush. It’s just a blisteringly exciting jumping, smashing, crashing competition with an endlessly replayable core.

Really looking forward to Sky Force Reloaded.

I really enjoyed Forza 7 last night. Great game.

I tried Vermintide 2 when it first came to Game Pass. As a single player gamer, I wouldn’t recommend even trying it to anyone. It’s single player story mode is very boring, confusing at times on where to go next, and doesn’t have a compelling story to propel you forward.

I can’t say you are wrong exactly, but I think you’re missing the core of the game. The story is there if you play the levels in linear order but is secondary to the action. Vermintide 2 is a first person dungeon crawler. You have 5 characters, each with multiple class choices and random loot to keep you going. There are multiple difficulties as you become more powerful and proficient. There’s a decent variety of environments and missions, although you will be replaying them many times.

I know I should be playing more high profile stuff in Game Pass like Quantum Break, Snake Pass, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, etc. but I am just obsessed with SkyForce Reloaded right now. It’s hands down the most fun 2D shooter I’ve ever played, and this goes back to the days when I used to play a lot of them on my Amstrad 128.

@DaveLong, you’re the person who has tried to turn me onto shooters many times, but I never did end up enjoying them. But this one is amazingly fun. What did you think of Skyforce Reloaded? Where does it lie in the pantheon of shooters in your view?

The reason I love it so much has to do with the difficulty of it. On the one hand, I haven’t encountered anything in the realm of bullet hell-style scenarios yet (I’m only on the 4th level though). I usually hate those situations. But at the same time, I can’t say that the game is easy either. You start off so weak, but each time you die, you get to keep the stars you collected and upgrade your ship. So next time you try, you’re just a tad stronger, until you’re finally able to overcome the challenges in each level.

Oh, that actually increases my interest quite a lot. I’m terrible at (and therefore hate) bullet hell games, but I could go for a modernised top down shooter with a bit of persistence. I’m still playing through Tales From the Borderlands on Gamepass, but maybe this will be next (or a palate cleanser between chapters).

Pretty big 360 back compat sale this week and I must admit I’m tempted to pick up all three Modern Warfare games for $15 each - not exactly a steal but as cheap as they’ve ever gotten.

Alexa support for Xbone being released on the Insider track now

I know they’ve talked about this before (or at least Alexa/Cortana integration in general), but I hadn’t realised it would work with third party Alexa devices, so you don’t need a Kinect/headset.

Zone of Enders, sweet. I’ll definitely be firing that up someday. Tried out some of the new gamepass,

Aven Colony - It’s a very easy city builder, but satisfying. Finished the campaign & challenge achievements. 9 sandbox missions that take 1-3 hours each.

Snake Pass - Cool! Will keep playing. Perfect for a break between meaty AAAs.

Manual Samuel - Sits with Mega Coin Squad as my worst things on gamepass. I did like the death character, and it could’ve been fun with more people around / youngsters.

Innerspace - Beautiful. Hard to control sometimes. I’m glad there isn’t a crashing penalty. 30 minutes was enough for me, but I’ll probably check it out again after finishing Abzu.